Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2004 8:39:51 PM EDT
I have some RAM on Ebay right now with a reserve price. I do not normally set reserves, but I am selling the memory for a friend and he wanted the reserve. I am getting quite a few e-mails asking what my reserve price is. Is this common with reserve auctions? Is there any benefit to me to tell them my reserve price? The auction ends in 12 hours and is at over 80% of the reserve. I was thinking of telling just one of the bidders the reserve so that he would bid it up at least high enough to make the sale. But I don't want him to make that bid at the very last second and shut out any other people who might have gone higher. The other option is to tell everyone who wrote to ask what the reserve is, and hope they end up up fighting it out. But if they are going to have a bidding war, it will probably happen anyway. What do you think?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#1]
There's nothing really wrong with telling them the reserve... just tell me...er...them.

Seriously, the reserve is mainly there to get some action/momentum started up on the auction without starting it off at a higher price.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I never go with a reserve...I just start with the lowest price I can live with and hope for the best. I am not sure I would say what the reserve is...but might give them a ballpark idea, that way they might bid a little bit above the reserve...
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#3]
if i wanted to sell it i would tell them all what it is.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#4]
start em at a doller. It gets more people gathered around the item. I have always started em at a doller and my ending auction price ALWAYS excedes what I expected to recieve.

OH YEA, edit your ebay listing to tell them what the reserve is. Alot of people dont want to waste time on a reserve auction when they can possibly get it for less and quicker on a regular auction/buy it now.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I cant stand ebay any more simply because their firearm policies but I know alot of times reserves scare potential bidders away. I would give the reserve out so people know the real price and will be more willing to bid on yours other than someone elses.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:20:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I didnt choose to use the reserve, it is my buddy's RAM and he wanted a reserve. I start all of my auctions at $1
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:30:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I have  almost always had to use a reserve but I like to tell people what it is to see what happens. Everyone on ebay, if they really want it, will proxy bid. Just tell the high bidder and a few others about 12-24 hours before it ends  to get the price up or have a friend help you out.  Example item x is at 5.00 and the reserve is 50.00. Have a friend bid 49.99 so he is just below the reserve. In doing so others will bid because the price will show only 5.50 to try to get the high bid thus driving the price over the original reserve. Even if it doesnt sell your friend is NOT required to purchase the item because the reserve was not met. Didnt hear it hear. Just be smart and dont do it all the time and no one will ever be the wiser.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Tell them all what the reserve is. I am not a seller, but I buy and nothing pisses me off more than a seller who won't tell me what he wants for his goods. I don't want to guess, tell me and if I want it I will bid the reserve. If I ask and they don't tell, I don't bid. The end.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have  almost always had to use a reserve but I like to tell people what it is to see what happens. Everyone on ebay, if they really want it, will proxy bid. Just tell the high bidder and a few others about 12-24 hours before it ends  to get the price up or have a friend help you out.  Example item x is at 5.00 and the reserve is 50.00. Have a friend bid 49.99 so he is just below the reserve. In doing so others will bid because the price will show only 5.50 to try to get the high bid thus driving the price over the original reserve. Even if it doesnt sell your friend is NOT required to purchase the item because the reserve was not met. Didnt hear it hear. Just be smart and dont do it all the time and no one will ever be the wiser.

Remind me to never bid on an itme you are selling, I only deal with honest people.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
...But I don't want him to make that bid at the very last second and shut out any other people who might have gone higher.

What do you mean?

So what if he bids at the last second and wins, that doesnt automagically change the fact that he bid the most for it.

What person would be shutting out? The people who bid less?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...But I don't want him to make that bid at the very last second and shut out any other people who might have gone higher.

What do you mean?

So what if he bids at the last second and wins, that doesnt automagically change the fact that he bid the most for it.

What person would be shutting out? The people who bid less?

I see your point...
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Im not trying to be dishonest. Just dont like assholes who lowball trying to get it from you before the auction closes for the reserve. Its no different  doesnt effect the reserve and Im not saying to jack up the price. Just keeps everyone off your back because when they bid it still shows that the reserve has not been met and you are still not the highest bidder. Yes it would be dishonest if you were to bid over the reserve to drive the price up or bid like this on a no reserve auction. Think about it.
Theres nothing wrong with what im suggesting

I dont actually think anyone who is selling and their reserve is not me is going to be upset or feel cheated by the person who bid just below the reserve price

ITS A RESERVE PRICE
HENCE ITS NOT TO BE SOLD FOR ANY LESS
WHAT THE HELLS SO DAMN DISHONEST
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:45:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
start em at a doller. It gets more people gathered around the item. I have always started em at a doller and my ending auction price ALWAYS excedes what I expected to recieve.

Ditto, except I know how to spell dollar. It also keeps your listing fee to .30 cents. Tell them what the reserve is.

As an aside I've run auctions every single week for four years. I sell items for anywhere from $8 to about a grand. In over 2000 auctions I've NEVER had a potential bidder who sent an email inquiry actually place a bid.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Im not trying to be dishonest. Just dont like assholes who lowball trying to get it from you before the auction closes for the reserve. Its no different  doesnt effect the reserve and Im not saying to jack up the price. Just keeps everyone off your back because when they bid it still shows that the reserve has not been met and you are still not the highest bidder. Yes it would be dishonest if you were to bid over the reserve to drive the price up or bid like this on a no reserve auction. Think about it.

I dont actually think anyone who is selling and their reserve is not me is going to be upset or feel cheated by the person who bid just below the reserve price

ITS A RESERVE PRICE

I agree, all it does is encourage others to keep bidding and hopefully reach the reserve.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I would just add the reserve price to the auctions description it will save you time from email replies. Plus as mentioned above people that ask lots of question rarely eve bid especially the ones that ask questions over and over. I had a forigen guy ask about half a dozen questions about a 10x40-50 scope for his 30-30 and then another half dozen about a Hk scope mount for the same rifle.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I always list the reserve in my auctions, always try to be open about everything.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

ITS A RESERVE PRICE

So in your auction description you wouldn't have a problem telling everyone that you plan on having your friend bid one cent under your reserve?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top