Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2001 7:03:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 7:09:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't heard anything bad about the Savage 110.  I was thinking of getting one, but will have to sell an other rifle to get it.  The hard part is which one will I part with.  

But seriously, I wouldn't rule the savage out.

OSA
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Rem M700 VSSF and love it. Zero complaints and I can put 5 together with handloads when I do my part and 3 together when I'm goofing off. One slick sob tack driver.

Bill

happiness is a warm gun...
bang bang, shoot shoot...
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The Remington 700 LTR is a good choice for the 20" rifle requirement.  I got to play with one.  I was impress with it right of the box.  At least to do not have to chop the barrel down.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Take a GOOD look at Savage. The price to quality/accuracy ratio can not be beat. The 12BVSS is a great piece. Some think of it as a cheap rifle due to the locking ring on the barrel.

Allen
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#5]
In my experience,I would say on average the Savage is the most accurate out of the box.The bad part is the bolt lift is heavy on the short[308] actions.The triggers is allright.For the money they are best buy.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#6]
FN (SPR) Sniper rifle. The barrel is a bit longer than you are looking for (26”) it shot better than ½ MOA with four out six types of factory ammo in the current Guns & weapons for Law Enforcement.

[url]http://www.guns-weapons.com/images/jul2001.jpg[/url]

I purchased one for my son for $ 675.00 today and paid $ 35.00 for an extra 4rd mag.

THISISME

Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#7]
My vote is for the Remington Model 7, but, I'm unabashedly biased.  Not only that, I'm opinionated...
Then again, since you have a Ruger, why not check one of those out? With similar features, you'd be comfortable with the way it operates.
(That last statement sounds vaguely like dealing with the Female of the Species, doesn't it?)

Do you have a preference for the standard configuration, or would you consider a different style, as in stainless, or...?

I've looked through the Remington catalog and saw the Custom Shop full laminated stock with sights version of the Model 7, and with the right scope on it, that would be a top choice for a .308 bolt-action.  I'm not too much for the laminated broomstick look, but, that one is pretty nice.
And, Ruger has a full stocked version, as well.
I'll have to look at the 2001 catalog tonight and see what calibers are available.
Good that you're thinking ahead, Paul.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#8]
A Remington 700 in any flavor. I admit, I too am biased. I like the Savage, and the Ruger, and even the Winchester, however when it comes to available options (McMillan / H-S Precision stocks, Badger rings and mounts, DD Ross floorplates, etc.)to help clean out your bank account, no other rifle comes close.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 2:46:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 3:11:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a 110fp and it got stolden about 3 years ago. Really pissed me off because I only got to shoot 10 round though it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 3:41:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Paul,
  I shoot a 700 built by George Gardner and love it but for an out of the box rifle- I would recomend the Winchester Stealth. It comes in the HS Precision Pro series synthetic stock and the trigger is very simple and clean- quality is high & they have been earning a reputation as real shooters. Savage are very good shooters but the stock is junk & the triggers are hard to work with.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 3:59:14 AM EDT
[#12]
[url]http://www.remingtonle.com/rifle/700p.htm[/url]

Model 700P LTR (Light Tactical Rifle), chambered for .308 Win. and .223 Rem, features a slimmed down stock.  The flutes in the 20" LTR not only assist in weight reduction and heat dissipation, but are engineered to enhance barrel rigidity for pinpoint accuracy.

Link Posted: 6/10/2001 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#14]
i'm saving for a steyr ssg 69 - it's a system out of the box with 6x42 scope.  i know that there are bigger scopes and such - but i kinda like something that has been dialed in at the factory and good to 800 meters

steve
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm looking for a used 700P LTR if anyone wants to sell or trade.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top