Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2004 1:30:11 PM EDT
A-40 to emerge again?  
27 Oct 2004

Developed in early 1980s the Beriev A-40 project was frozen in 1990. In 1995 the Tu-204P won a tender to provide for a new patrol aircraft. Almost ten years later, not a single Tu-204 is delivered. This is way the Defence Ministry is now looking at the A-40 again and the program may be revitalised again.

The A-40 was a product of the merge of the A-42 search-and-rescue (SAR) amphibian and the A-44 patrol aircraft. Two prototypes ware made that are still in flying condition today. A third prototype (A-42 SAR configuration) was build, and discontinued at 80% in 1993. If the Defence Ministry is able to allocate funds the unfinished A-42 may become the prototype of the supposed multi-role patrol aircraft.  

http://aviamagazine.xs4all.nl/news/readnews.asp?id=69

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Yikes, jet engine + salt water = icky.

Why do Russian birds always look like they're stuck in the 50's?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#2]
That things fugly
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I was about to say "isn't that the big thing that skims the water?"...

Ummm... what happens if there is a wave?  

- BG
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#4]
That is just ODD.You would think that they would at least copy our LCAC.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That is just ODD.You would think that they would at least copy our LCAC.

Ummmm, the LCAC can't FLY.
That can.

ETA:  I think it looks kinda cool, I kinda miss the idea of float-planes.
www.aeronautics.ru/archive/vvs/a40-01.htm
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#6]
they had a bigger version that oculd carry 1000 marines several 1000 miles at several hundred miles an hour... little better than a lcac
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The water skimmer is a different beast.

It's know as "The Caspian Sea Monster".
www.samolet.co.uk/km.html

Quoted:
I was about to say "isn't that the big thing that skims the water?"...

Ummm... what happens if there is a wave?  

- BG

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the call it an ekranoplane.  Flies on a cushion of compressed air.  Shouldn't get higher than 50 feet off of the water.  Very efficient within its operating envelope from the article I read about it.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think the call it an ekranoplane.  Flies on a cushion of compressed air.  Shouldn't get higher than 50 feet off of the water.  Very efficient within its operating envelope from the article I read about it.  

Ground effect is a wonderful thing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:49:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Unless you are trying to land.....

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Always with the good comebacks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#12]
When I was working Intel back in my USAF days we called this:

http://www.samolet.co.uk/lun.html

The "Caspian Sea Monster".

Sort of a variant the same craft, but armed.  Seriously armed.  Say what you will about Russian cold war stuff, this thing struck us all as BadAss.  Nothing to be afraid of, but we loved watching it in action.

-Gator
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#13]
[sea story] One time my crew had a mission to recover an atomic powered weather station from Antarctica on the Polar Plateau (AGO Station 3).

Ground level is about 9,000 feet out there.

We got out there late after the snow had warmed up, so when we went to leave the pilot (LC-130F) had problems getting the main skis unstuck from the snow.
After 4 tries the pilot asked for crew consent to go ahead and keep on the takeoff run until we got airborne.

We agreed since we didn't want to spend a few hours waiting for the snow to firm up.

After the pilot did about a 6000 foot takeoff roll he was finally able to get the nose unstuck from the snow. We went from about 70 knots to about 80 knots, but the main skis would not get unstuck.
The pilot tried bouncing the nose gear off the snow a couple of times and came close to getting off the ground. Finally the main skis unstuck at about 85 knots and the Herc jumped off the deck.
He had to fly the Herc in ground effect for probably 3 miles before he got up enough airspeed to start bleeding the flaps up, and another couple of miles until he had enough airspeed to get the gear up.

All in a days work. [/sea story]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Always with the good comebacks.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top