Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2004 8:20:08 AM EDT
What would YOU have done if this loud mouth was sitting behind you

By The Associated Press
(10/29/04 - ANN ARBOR, MI) — A man accused of puncturing a lung and breaking the ribs of another moviegoer who had shushed him was convicted of felony assault.

Paul Elrod, who was convicted Wednesday, faces up to 10 years in prison on a count of assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder. His sentencing was set for Dec. 2.
According to trial testimony, Elrod, 39, of Milan, arrived late at a March 20 screening of the French-language cartoon "The Triplets of Belleville." He told his wife shortly after the movie started that he had had trouble finding a parking space at the Ann Arbor theater.

Jamin Eisenbach turned around and said, "Sshh," putting a finger to his mouth. Eisenbach testified that he felt the back of his seat being kicked off and on during the movie and also heard coughing behind him and blowing into his hair.

The men confronted each other after the movie. Eisenbach testified that Elrod kicked him in the chest, causing him to fall backward down some steps and to the landing where he hit a banister railing, breaking his ribs and puncturing his lung.

Eisenbach, of Ypsilanti, spent nine days in the hospital.

Elrod admitted he was upset over being shushed, but claimed he was defending himself. He told The Ann Arbor News as he left the courtroom that he planned to appeal.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Elrod, 39, of Milan, arrived late at a March 20 screening of the French-language cartoon "The Triplets of Belleville."

You know what that means? SISSY FIGHT!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i've not seen any movie that was worth 10 years of my life.

I haven't seen a French movie worth 10 minutes of my life.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Good. Sounds like one less asshole on the streets for a while.

Here's a question I have - has anyone here ever "shushed" someone in a movie theater? I haven't.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#6]
This happened in Ann Arbor, which together with Berkeley and Madison are the most liberal hippie freaked out towns in the world.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:42:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Here's a question I have - has anyone here ever "shushed" someone in a movie theater? I haven't.

I have done so quite often, which is why my wife dreads going to the movies with me. I cannot stand those rude cocksuckers.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This happened in Ann Arbor, which together with Berkeley and Madison are the most liberal hippie freaked out towns in the world.

Yeah but the subjects of the story are from Milan (rednecks!) and Ypsilanti (trash!)

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been tempted to yell "Shut the F--K up for God's sake!!" a couple of times in the theater but have managed to restrain myself. The disrespectfulness of some of these people is revolting. I've even seen people bring their crying babies to R-rated movies.

But I definitely wouldn't turn around and "shush" somebody. If I'm going to get my message across it's gonna be standing up and shouting, with obscenties mixed in for good measure. When I get pissed, I get pissed!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I bet if he was carrying openly that guy wouldn't have kicked him in the chest.

Oh wait...   we don't need cowboys open-carrying in movie theaters. Too many s0kkermommy kids around.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:52:59 AM EDT
[#12]
It's a french cartoon, so if you can't speak french, who cares if you can hear it, and if you can speak french you probably deserve the odd beating.  

BTW, where I come from we call this a 2fer.  One gets a beat down, the other gets prison time.  Win-Win.  Like when one doper shoots another.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:54:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Fuck yeah I've shh'd people in a theater.  I paid MONEY to enjoy a film.  If some asshat is gonna make me miserable, well, there's plenty to go around.

I'd never take it to a physical level, though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh wait...   we don't need cowboys open-carrying in movie theaters. Too many s0kkermommy kids around.

If  he was carrying he probably wouldn't've bothered to get into an argument with the guy after the movie, I sure wouldn't if I was carrying.

+1,000
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#16]

I have done so quite often, which is why my wife dreads going to the movies with me. I cannot stand those rude cocksuckers.

The Z2 does my "shushing"

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

This is why I wait a few weeks for the crowds to die down. I can't stand going to the movies for one reason: the other people that are there.

I have shushed a few times.

Me and some friends went to see the first "Harry Potter" movie (please refrain from your flaming until I'm done). This guy and his son were sitting behind us and they had either read the book or had seen the movie once before because they talked through the first 20-30 minutes of the movie. At minute 31, during a particularly loud seen, they couldn't hear eachother over the theater sound and were literally SHOUTING. That plucked my last nerve and I swung around and shouted "COULD YOU TALK A LITTLE LOUDER... I CAN STILL HEAR THE MOVIE!!!"

Anymore my whole body turns into a giant knot whenever I go the a movie and hear people being blatant assholes.

Would I start a fight over the whole thing? Not likely, though I've had my moments when I seriously evaluate my odds against the talker(s). I figure in the state I'm in I have more of an advantage that I normally would. I prefer not to face assault charges as well as be removed from the theater and lose my $8 without seeing the entire film, so I either move or shush louder.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:07:45 AM EDT
[#18]
If somebody gets a cell phone call during a movie and doesn't leave immediately, when they start talking, I yell as loud as I can, "Get off the fucking phone!!!"
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

This is why I wait a few weeks for the crowds to die down.

French-language cartoon

There wouldn't be a crowd!  

I'm guessing that this was at the Varsity and the upstairs theatre is pretty darn small, small enough that pretty much everyone in the place could be a witness to anything that happened during the movie.

Now if it was at the Varsity then Eisenbach is a lazy and cheap guy, there's a pay to park structure not two blocks away but I bet that instead of paying a few bucks to park there he was circling the blocks looking for an open free spot.

Had I been Eisenbach, I would have went to Ashleys threw down a few beers and then told my wife I had a tough time parking when I arrived with only 15 minutes left to go in the movie.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:14:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

OH YEAH...I ONLY GO TO MATENEE'S (spelling?) ON MON OR TUES BECAUSE I DO NOT LIKE BEING IN A CROWD.
I SAT DOWN A FEW YEARS AGO IN A CROWDED THEATER AND THE GUY NEXT TO ME ANSWERS HIS PHONE. I WAS RIGHT NEXT TO THIS ASSHOLE. I LOOKED HIM DEAD IN THE EYE AND ASKED IF HE WAS GOING TO BE TALKING ON HIS PHONE THROUGH THE MOVIE.  HE WAS OLDER (NOT TO OLD FOR AN ASSWHIPPIN', LATE 50'S MAYBE) BUT STILL HAD THE MEMORY OF A FIRE IN HIM, SO HE SAY'S "MAYBE, YOU GOT A PROBLEM".
I TOLD HIM WE WERE GONNA HAVE ONE IF HE DIDN'T TURN OFF HIS PHONE.
WELL HE DID, THE MOVIE SUCKED AND HERE I AM NEXT TO THIS ASSHOLE WITH ADRENALINE IN MY VEINS....RUINED MY MOVIE.
COULDN'T MOVE, CROWD. DIDN'T LEAVE, MY WIFE WANTED TO SEE MOVIE.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If  he was carrying he probably wouldn't've bothered to get into an argument with the guy after the movie, I sure wouldn't if I was carrying.

+1,000

ABSOLUTELY, I CARRY SO I DON'T PUT MYSELF IN THE SITUATION, AND IF I AM I'LL WALK OFF. AN ARMED CITIZENRY IS A POLITE/TOLERANT ONE.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#23]
thank god for DVDs i hate people that are loud in movies..i told afew teenagers once "to sit down and shutup or go outside to play" they was quiet the rest of the movie. whats funny is thier mother or whoever they was with didnt get on to them one time and was sitting right beside them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
ABSOLUTELY, I CARRY SO I DON'T PUT MYSELF IN THE SITUATION, AND IF I AM I'LL WALK OFF. AN ARMED CITIZENRY IS A POLITE/TOLERANT ONE.

Don't fear the keyboard options.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Depends.

I'd still ask the guy to be quiet if he was being a nusciance. If you don't confront rude behavior, it spreads.

I would've walked away from the confrontation afterward, if that was an option.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Actually, I have only watched one French movie worth a shit. It was the original "Le Femme Nikita" in the dubbed version. The movie is about 12-14 years old but has a nice assortment of weapons. M-16 pistol, Ak's, Uzi's, MP5's, Aug and the HCL acid bath....that was a nice scene.

It should be in the foreign film section if you can find it. It's real cool French movie.

Now as far as the assault goes, the older I get the easier I just let things go. I have to much to live for to get myself involved in stupid shit.

thanks,
Ron

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I never have, but my father was notorious for it.  Man, he used to get pissed!  Anyone talking trash would shut right the hell up too.  Once he got a bit of applause, but generally it was embarrassing for me as a kid!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#28]
You guys should go to a movie in Washington DC some time.  I swear it's more of an evening urban day care center than a movie theater.  It's kind of like going to the zoo. Forget about watching the movie, just watch your six.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I have. Not too long ago, I was sitting right next to a couple and the woman was making a running commentary about the film. After about 20 minutes, I very politely asked her to keep her comments to herself. She acted so indignant and insulted that I would do such as thing and proceeded to talk even louder. I wanted to put my Emerson in her neck so bad.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have. Not too long ago, I was sitting right next to a couple and the woman was making a running commentary about the film. After about 20 minutes, I very politely asked her to keep her comments to herself. She acted so indignant and insulted that I would do such as thing and proceeded to talk even louder. I wanted to put my Emerson in her neck so bad.

That's when you go for drinks and popcorn. Either go several times, or go once and accidently spill it on her as you squeeze by.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:30:19 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on both accounts
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:39:12 AM EDT
[#32]
I carry...so i'm polite.
I expect the same from others.
I quickly grow intolerant of slow moving  rude civilians.
So I've learned to deal with it.
And i don't beg for confrontations.
I would not hang around after throwing a rude a-hole down a flight of stairs.
Problem solved.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:56:58 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't seen a French movie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top