Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 7:53:34 PM EDT

I'm 40 years old and this will be my 10th Presidential election - and I have vivid memories of each and every one of them.

1968: I was four years old and my mother took me with her to go vote. It was at the local elementary school in the gymnasium and back in Michigan they used the "lever" type of electoral booths. I remember my mother taking me with her and seeing this big grey refrigerator-sized contraption with lots of levers and a little tiny curtain around it and it made little "click" sounds. I remember thinking this was a "grown-up" thing and it seemed real important but that's all I knew.

1972: I remember I was going to school (where the polling stations were again) and there being a lot of people protesting outside and lots of people holding signs at the curb and shaking them up and down and trying to get the people's attention as they came to vote. I don't remember what the signs said but there were people handing out papers too. I also remember the newspaper the next day - I remember they said Nixon won by a lot.

1976: I was twelve and I remember getting in arguments with other kids at school about how bad Carter would be and that Ford should be elected. I said Ford had experience as President and Carter wouldn't have any idea how to run a country or handle the Soviet Union because he was just a peanut farmer and Governor of a very small state. I was twelve.

1980: I remember how down and depressing Carter was and how weak America was because of him and the Iran Hostage crisis, stagflation etc. I remember how happy almost EVERYONE seemed as soon as Reagan won - it was like a thick dark cloud had been lifted. I remember Johnny Carson joked the next night after Reagan's landslide about how all the polls said it was "too close to call". Carson was beaming with an ear-to-ear grin, and so was I. True "class" had returned to the White House.

1984: I was twenty. It was my very first vote I ever cast in my life and it was for Ronald Reagan. I will NEVER forget that.

1988: I remember one the Democratic primary debates when there were eight men dressed in blue but only one of them had taken off his jacket and rolled up his sleeves and a picture in the newspaper caught him standing in a line across with the seven others and he had his arms stretched out to the audience. It was Micheal Dukakis and I knew he would win the primary with that one image. I also remember how DULL he was when he spoke. Later I also remember Lloyd Bentsen licking his lips seconds before uttering his famous "you're no Jack Kennedy" line too.

1992: I was actually physically SICK that night seeing that wholly-transparent schyster and con-man Clinton and his radical, feminazi commie-bitch wife on stage while Fleetwood Mac's "Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow" kept playing - and Dan Rather and the rest of the media were utterly GIDDY as they droned on about the Democrat's victory.

1996: That hollow burning sore twisting in the pit of my stomach that started in 1992 just continued on this election. I remember well the utter futility I felt standing there at the voting booth, pen in hand, looking at Bob Dole's name on the ballot and voting for him even when I KNEW it would mean NOTHING and that Clinton would win.

2000: The thing I remember the most - I fell asleep at about 1:30am after election night thinking "Well, I'm too tired to stay up but at least when I wake up I'll know one way or the other who won." That night I also had a dream that Gore won . But the nightmare really didn't start until I woke up the next morning and saw Gore's lawyers/advisors on TV spewing the most incomprehensible shit ever heard after an election

2004: I'm forty now and I will take my son with me to the election booth next week just as my mom did with me when I was four. There was a war on back then and the country was divided and I remember that what my mom was doing seemed real important. And now my wife and I will explain to our son who GWBush is and how important voting is and I'll do what I can to make sure he remembers this as HIS first Presidential election too because it's his turn now - he's four.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody has election memories they want to share?

When was your first election?
Who was the first Presidential candidate you voted for?
What were you doing when the "twofer" came into power?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I first voted in 2000 for bush, when I lived in CA. I felt good voting for someone that idiots from CA hated.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#3]
My memories mirror yours almost exactly.
I'm 39 and Reagan was my first vote too.
I'm taking all four kids with us when we go vote next week.
And to think, if I was a democRAT, I could have all four of them cast their own ballots !!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#4]
1996 was the first time I was eligable to vote for President. I wasn't going to vote, because I knew that Dole was going to lose. My queer uncle who was a big time Clinton supporter talked me into voting anyways, and I did go down and vote for Dole. Oh, and I did vote using a butterfly ballot.

2000 I voted early in North Carolina and I used a touch screen voting system. It was very easy to use, and I think that they should be the standard. Then I spent the next month and a half watching CNN and Fox News 24/7.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]
First one I voted in was 2000, worked that night and watched everything go down that night on TV.

1992 and 1996 I remember hoping Clinton wouldnt win and being disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#6]
This will be the first election that I have the privelege of voting in.  I am 25, but I was out of the country last time around.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#7]
... tagged fur later
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't remember my parents ever voting. My mother may have. I'm certain my father, now 75 years old never has. My first Presidential election was 1984. I voted for Dutch Reagan, absentee from Japan while I was in the USMC. How cool is that?
My parents had liberal leanings. I have no idea how I turned out the way I did. Just lucky I guess. I've never voted Democrat for President. They have never been able to field a candidate that appeals to me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll never forget the pride i had when I voted for Haig in 1980.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I could not be happier my first ever presidential vote will go towards re-electing George W. Bush
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I could not be happier my first ever presidential vote will go towards re-electing George W. Bush

How old are you Jr.?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Sure, I'll share my previous mistakes and more recent enlightenment...

For SOME reason, I thought I was a Democrat, starting at about age 10.
I voted that way, unknowingly buying the shit spewed by that Party.  I truly didn't look into it, totally uninterested and ignorant about politics.

In 1992, you guessed it, I voted for Bill Clinton.  
Simultaneously, I had a profound interest in GUNS.
After the election, I started to wonder why every fucking one of the people I voted for (D) was ANTI-gun...WTF?
I spewed the same crap I had been brainwashed with, not understanding any of it, about 'the rich' and 'the wealthy' and 'big business', etc.
My Best Friend, Prospector, tried like hell to get me to understand things and I gave him shit about Rush Limbaugh!  Jesu Christo!  
I WAS SICK AND DIDN'T KNOW IT.
But, I was starting to get a clue.

I was working driving a Para Transit route and started talking to the guys at the espresso stand, who listened to Rush every day.
I then started to pidgeon-hole myself into a political stance and title ---
Conservative  Democrat; Liberal Republican; Social this and Such&Such that.  I had to know.
I was totally confused.

Then I started to listen to Rush...and goddam!  He WAS Right!
In fact, so was I!!!   I just hadn't realized it until then!

SO, thanks to GUNS, Prospector, and Rush Limbaugh,  I started voting Republican at the very next possible opportunity, and I'm a Republican to this day.  

I met my Wife while driving that route, and it turns out she's almost more conservative than I've become ( or always was ) and we're raising our children RIGHT.

God Bless AR15.com and God Bless the United States of America!

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#13]
1984.  I was about 20 as well.  A corporal in the Marine Corps at that time sending home an absentee ballot from the USS New Orleans.

That was the last time my  state went Republican.  The Californians keep moving North.
---------

When Clinton won the 2nd term I couldn't believe it, integrity it seemed, was not an issue with the American public.  Everyone knew what he did, and what he stood for, yet they voted for him anyway.  I started growing cynical.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I know several people who have not voted for years or ever who are voting for Bush
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I am also 40.  While my memeries aren't as clear as yours, I do remember from 72 on.  

I can remember Nixon resigning and Ford taking over.  Carter trying to stay afloat and not drowning in international agenda.  I also had a 6 pack of "Billy Beer".  I know it was at moms house when I went in the Navy.  She probably threw it out when she moved.

I remember Iran releasing the hostages fairly soon after Presadent Reagan took office.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn.  40 is very old.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:26:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I am 38. I have voted in every election since I was 18.  Every election, even the local, city council type elections. Even before I was married. My belief is that if you don't vote, you have no right to bitch about who is in office.

That being said; I heard a news report tonight that pissed me off enough to almost start a thread.  The f***ing biased media had a whole segment about how women will choose the next president. The Kerry/Dems have tried to court the women and made the Democratic party the party of the "women". (and gay men) Now that they realize that married "women" have "sons" They are going after "single women".

I want to

Are people that stupid? Can't they see through this?

I want to move my family to Idaho.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:27:24 PM EDT
[#21]
38 is very old too.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
38 is very old too.

Go to hell~~or  Massachusetts
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:29:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:33:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
38 is very old too.

Go to hell~~or  Massachusetts

where'd your sense of humor go?

(Massachusetts? )

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:41:23 PM EDT
[#25]
1984 was my first vote too.  I still remember seeing the board completely lit up in blue (which was the proper color at the time) except for Minnesota and DC.  God I loved that.  

Didn't vote for Bush Sr., I voted libertarian that election.  Never liked Sr.  

Voted Libertarian for both of Clintons elections.  In California a Republican vote is meaningless anyhow.  I was just astounded how he could be elected both times.  I still think there was some supernatural involvement of an evil kind.  Though he did get the Republicans the congress, so maybe it was for a reason.  

Voted for Bush in '00 cause I like him.  I think he is a horrible politician and I don't like most of what he does, but I like what I see of the man.  Will vote for him again this year, meaningless though it may be in this state.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:12:00 AM EDT
[#26]
This is the Wiley Ol' Prospector and what my bestist friend BusMaster007 said is the absolute truth!
No need to forgive him for voting the democrat way, hell I used to be a "Union Man" when working in the shipyards in Seattle and always voted the way the "Union " said, but then I lost my tail and started thinking for myself and walking upright!
It was tough for him to understand at the time.
I was carrying a small pocket piece back then, and he didn't even think anyone besides the police or military should even have a gun!
How times have changed!
I now have further views on politics that he still listens to but does not yet agree with, but that is for another post....

I visit often, but don't post much at all, I will try to add to the posts more often guys.
The Wiley Ol' Prospector
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:46:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Mac,

I'm 42 and pretty much have the same memories as you.  Your thoughts look like something I could have written.  I have not missed one chance to vote in any election.

This years election is making me sick to my stomach.  I cannot believe the vile hatred being spewed by the demonrats.  I still believe the entire conflict has nothing to do with the war or the economy.  

The origin of all the hatred is the 2000 election, and the oposition will stop at nothing to fefeat the President.  The lack of integrity and values of these people is amazing.

I am very worried!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:50:13 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

1984: I was twenty. It was my very first vote I ever cast in my life and it was for Ronald Reagan. I will NEVER forget that.

+1.  I had JUST turned 18 in September and I remember hurrying to get registered in time to vote.  I can never understand people who have to be badgered and cajoled to register...I WANTED to vote.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:01:42 AM EDT
[#29]
My first election was in 1976 - and I actually voted for Jimmy Peanuts.   I have dim memories of the '68 and '72 elections, riots, Watergate, etc.

In 1980 I voted for John Anderson.  I thought Ronald Reagan was  a faker.

I wised up by 1984.  IIRC, it was one of the most one-sided electiions in history.  Go Reagan!

'88 I voted for Bush Sr.  He was not the President I though he'd be, but did a decent job, esp. with Desert Storm.

I held my nose and voted for Bush Sr. in '92 and recall my disgust at the voters for electing some Teflon con artist.

I was indeed gratified to see the recapture of Cingress in 1994.  

I was ashamed to call myself an American after the 1996 elections. Foll me once, shame on you...

W in 2k.  I was not sure what we would get but Mickey Mouse would have trumped Gore.  After 9/11 my doubts were removed.

This election is not even a choice.   FlipFlop or a true Commander in Chief.  

God save this republic.   Ops
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:05:50 AM EDT
[#30]
i lived secluded, in hte middle of nowhere untill i was 9, and my parants didnt talk about it. so my first memory is when i was 12, in seventh grade. this guy and me would argue about who was better, gore or bush. he said bush was lame, i said bush was better than gore, and that he wasn't smart enough to understand, and he told the principal.

i dont discuss politics at school any more :-/
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:12:27 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
In 1980 I voted for John Anderson.  

So YOU'RE the one!  
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:14:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Rik, apparently the only one..   Ops
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:23:04 AM EDT
[#33]
In 1996 I cast my first vote for Bob Dole, with much the same feelings that Mac had....

2000 felt better.

2004 feels even better.

Lord, I pray that Bush wins.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:28:39 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
In 1996 I cast my first vote for Bob Dole

[Bob Dole]  Bob Dole appreciates the fact that you took the time to vote for Bob Dole. [/Bob Dole]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:29:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How old are you Jr.?

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:45:31 AM EDT
[#36]
I registered to vote in '72. Sorry to say I was a registered democrat for most of my life. Not anymore. It's true that wisdom comes with age.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:48:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Well, my first memory of a presidential election was Eisenhower . I do remember Kennedy v Nixon in 1960 because the year after he was elected my family vacationed in Washington DC and during a tour of the White House JFK stuck his head out into a hallway and said hi to the tour group.

My first presidential vote was for Nixon in 1972 primarily because he vowed to get us out of Viet Nam with "peace with honor".  

I voted for Carter in 76, primarily because Ford pardoned Nixon. After Carter, I would never vote for a Democrat again. Reagan in 80/84, Bush in 88,

While I personally liked Bush I, I thought  that he was nothing more than a career washington insider/ politictian who wasn't a very good president the gulf war not withstanding. I felt we needed a change to someone from the outside and Perot was the best chance for a third party candidate I had ever seen.  I voted for Perot in 92, Dole in 96 though I thought him a very weak candidate against Clinton. I voted for Dubya in 2000 but supported Alan Keyes through most of the campaign.

I like George W and think him a better president than his father, but he would never have been POTUS if his name hadn't been Bush and of course if Gore hadn't been such a weak candidate who had to follow his disgraced predecessor.

I could never vote for a Democrat now, but I do think Kerry, a scum sucking, commie career politician is probably the weakest candiate the Dems could have brought forward.  If Dean hadn't gone off his nut and screamed, I think he probably would of kicked the shit out of Dubya in a general election.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:23:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Mac most of my memories mirror yours as fas as age and time EXCEPT for 2000. Because of work I was traveling and investigating some bad people. The secret service was working with us and we had a raid set up for the next day. I was concerned about the election, but I knew Clinton was gone and the next day would dawn with a Bush in office. I was in the hotel lobby having a drink watching the returns when I started to enter the twilight zone. Election results were starting to be in and Florida was a problem. They switched to a live remote in Dade county and the female reporter was standing on the street talking about vote fraud and uncounted ballots. I look out the front of the hotel and see the same reporter. Yes I was in Dade county for that election! The next morning, of course, the secret service had other things to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top