Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 8:22:35 AM EDT
Would it be safe to say that the majority of power is in the hands of the Ayatollah? and that the President is more of a figurehead?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#1]
and IRAN, IRAN so far away, and IRAN, IRAN all night and day. I COULD'NT GET AWAY.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Power is held by various religious clergy and the security forces.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep.

Switch religions to Christianity though, and a lot of people on this board would like to follow their example in our country.

Check out the last paragraph of this story:

www.washtimes.com/world/20041027-121030-7792r.htm
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
and IRAN, IRAN so far away, and IRAN, IRAN all night and day. I COULD'NT GET AWAY.

I'm not entirely sure, Absolut, but I'd venture to guess that he' NOT a figurehead in any sense. Even if he isn't a dictator, he probably still has some pull.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:28:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think the president is completely without power, but his power is certainly limited whenever the Ayatolla's choose.

For instance they have "elections" - but the religious leaders can pretty much disqualify anyone they don't like from running - which happened in the last election, where a huge number of the "reformists" were prohibited from running.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Switch religions to Christianity though, and a lot of people on this board would like to follow their example in our country.

Utter bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't think the president is completely without power, but his power is certainly limited whenever the Ayatolla's choose.

For instance they have "elections" - but the religious leaders can pretty much disqualify anyone they don't like from running - which happened in the last election, where a huge number of the "reformists" were prohibited from running.

thanks DK, that was my understanding as well
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#8]
The ruling council of mullahs is allowed to overturn anything that any other part of the government does.  The ruling council is not an elected body;  it is appointed by existing members.  Khameini is the head.  Consider them to be sort of like the Supreme Court, but with fewer restraints and more activist judges.

In addition to their official powers, they also control the Basij militia, which are basically thugs armed with clubs who go around beating/killing anyone who makes too much noise.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Christian bashers....they're so cute when they're angry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top