Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 7:41:14 AM EDT
My wife's mother just got engaged to her boyfriend of five or so years.  I've talked him into going Sat. with me out to some land by my mom's house that I use as my own personal range.  He has never shot a gun before and I thought that this would be the perfect opportunity to congratulate him by seasoning his FNG status to rookie.

From all of you who have had the opportunity to break in a newbie - what should I look out for, prepare for to make the transition smooth?  I'm betting he is going to be a little apprehensive.

maybe start out with the .22, go to AR, and finish up with 12GA?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#1]
thats what i did mith my sister, .22, AR, and then a 12. amazingly enough she liked the 12 the best, and shes only 11 years old and a tiny little thing! dont ask me how, but shes killer with the thing.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:49:04 AM EDT
[#2]
My father in law hooked me up to shoot an original Colt m16 full auto. It was of the grey persuasion. I'll never forget it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:54:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Let him know that the bark is worse than the bite.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Spend time with him BEFORE you get to the range regarding safety.  Spend a lot of time at the range showing him how to safely operate each firearm he shoots.  If possible, use some kind of reactive target, even just balloons or clays.  It makes it much more exciting for the newbie than blasting paper.

Teach him proper stance and trigger manipulation.

Starting small is a good way to go IMHO.  A .22lr can be just the ticket.

Do whatever you can to make it fun for him, regardless of what he shoots.

Wow, Bookhound, you're like, an Oracle or something... (good advice, thanks)

(and it appears lately that you have been trolling the boards as much as I have! )
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:10:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Have fun.  A few years after I had my AR rifle I showed it to my AF(ret) father.  He looked at it, turned and said:  "Nice .22"

Then I told him about the Garand and the M1A and he smiled again.

He's kind of a .30 cal type of guy I guess.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Have fun.  A few years after I had my AR rifle I showed it to my AF(ret) father.  He looked at it, turned and said:  "Nice .22"

Then I told him about the Garand and the M1A and he smiled again.

He's kind of a .30 cal type of guy I guess.

SGatr15

Well, he is somewhat of a socialite and his history consists of high-dollar white collar work, and a conservative, upper-echelon background of showing/breeding horses and such.  I'm hoping to turn him on to the down and dirty elite black rifle sport and all of it's fervor.  Perhaps I could get him to catch the fever.

That having been said, perhaps I should save the Mosin and tannerite for later.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#8]
10/22's have worked great for teaching in my limited experience. No recoil, little noise, light, not action to manipulate, lots of rounds and cheap. If it scares someone, they're a lost cause.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#9]

K, it's a sure thing then - start with the .22 and work my way up.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 on using reactive targets.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Make sure he has lot's of fun so he never votes for a asshole like kerry.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
thats what i did mith my sister, .22, AR, and then a 12. amazingly enough she liked the 12 the best, and shes only 11 years old and a tiny little thing! dont ask me how, but shes killer with the thing.

Outstanding!  Olympic Trap Team, here she comes.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:39:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I like to start'm on a 300 Ultra mag or 340 Weatherby
But then again, I always like to break virgins in hard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top