Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 10:09:17 PM EDT
If Zell Miller (Democrat Senator from Georgia) was running for POTUS in 2008 what would you do?
Would you consider crossing party lines to vote for him?

The speech he gave at the RNC was very powerful and I for one cannot help but respect this man.
He is a Marine. (there is no such thing as an ex-Marine)
He speaks with conviction.
He means what he says and doesnt care what anyone thinks.
I can't find anything in his Senate voting record that I would have voted differently on.
Am I missing something about this gentleman?
I cant figure out why he has "Democrat" as his party affiliation.
I realize he is a "Conservative Democrat" but damn...

Just to be clear President Bush has my FULL support and utmost respect. I, of course, will be voting for him come November 2nd. But what if Zell was running in 2008 against, lets say, Dick Cheney. (This is TOTALLY hypothetical and I realize there is'nt a snowballs chance in hell of it ever happening.)

So would you find yourself considering crossing party lines to vote for him or is that TOTALLY out of the question? Why or why not? - Nugz

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#1]
If he was running and had a chance or winning Id probaly vote for him, would have to do a comparison of him against opponent though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I doubt he would run as a Democrat.  The DNC would never have him as their candidate after what he has done.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Him against dick cheney? The Dick Cheney who was one of the staunchest defenders of the RKBA in congress?

Hell no.

Sorry, he's still a dem. Hannity used to call him 'zig zag zell' for hischanging positions.

I appreciate his position on the WOT and all, but you can't be blinded just by one aspect of a person's behavior. Otherwise we'd be rooting for Rudy Giuliani in 2008, and he's a gun grabber.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I doubt he would run as a Democrat.  The DNC would never have him as their candidate after what he has done.

This is true, but lets pretend they actually endorsed him.

BTW...you avoided the actual question you should be in politics. - Nugz
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Him against dick cheney? The Dick Cheney who was one of the staunchest defenders of the RKBA in congress?

Hell no.

Sorry, he's still a dem. Hannity used to call him 'zig zag zell' for hischanging positions.

I appreciate his position on the WOT and all, but you can't be blinded just by one aspect of a person's behavior. Otherwise we'd be rooting for Rudy Giuliani in 2008, and he's a gun grabber.

Ouch... Zig Zag Zell huh? I'll have to look into that as I have never heard him called that. Thanks for the enlightenment. As far as the RKBA issue goes I am pretty sure Zell would be on our side. - Nugz

ETA: Dammit, I should have thought of Rudy Giuliani as the opposing canditate for this excercise instead of Dick Cheney! Oh well, maybe next time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on the opponent:

Against:
Condi Rice
Rumsfeld
Cheney

I stay with the Reps

Against
McCain
Guliani
Powell

I vote for Zell (who I have met in person, BTW... He came to Milwaukee to campaign for W)
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:37:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Disregard politics for a moment.  In 2008....

Miller will be 76
Cheney will be 67

Sorry, American's just don't elect candidates that old.

(Dole was 75 in 1998)
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Miller will be 76
Cheney will be 67

(Dole was 75 in 1998)

Quoted:
<snip> But what if Zell was running in 2008 against, lets say, Dick Cheney. (This is TOTALLY hypothetical and I realize there is'nt a snowballs chance in hell of it ever happening.)

So would you find yourself considering crossing party lines to vote for him or is that TOTALLY out of the question? Why or why not? - Nugz

Read the segment in blue. The age thing is one of the reasons its there. - Nugz
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok then I'll bite....

Probably not.  It'd take one hell of a weak Rep candidate for me to cross the line.  Weaker than Dole was.

Edit: Maybe if McCain was running on the R. ticket against Miller.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ok then I'll bite....

Probably not.  It'd take one hell of a weak Rep candidate for me to cross the line.  Weaker than Dole was.

Okay, thanx for the answer Mauser. Care to share why not?

DISCLAIMER: I am not looking to battle it out with anyone on the issue. I am just curious what everybody thinks about considering crossing party lines if the candidate seems worthy and why or why not. C'mon guys lets hear it! - Nugz
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:03:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Very rarely do we vote for a President that we wish to run the United States. It is much more common to vote for a President that we would tolerate better as POTUS than the other candidate... such would be the case for Miller with me... I would have to size him up against his opponent. However, I am not much of one for the Dems...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok then I'll bite....

Okay, thanx for the answer Mauser. Care to share why not?

Mostly, I haven't heard of many Republicans who would be more apt to try and erode (or atleast advocate the erosion of) the Constitution and my own Human Rights than a Democrat.  

Now with guys like McCain, Gulliani & Schwartzeneger I do know of some Rep politicians who would do so.  I've gotta admit, though, if somebody like those three was up I'd probably do something exceptionally stupid like vote Libertarian or Constitution party.  In such an election we'd probably see a repeat of Perrot.  Rep Party would lose power and reorganize (like we did after the Perrot incident and like the Demos are going to have to do).
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:16:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Miller will be 76
Cheney will be 67

(Dole was 75 in 1998)

What about Reagan?  He was 69 when re-elected in 1984.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:22:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I only vote RKBA. First, last, always.

When given no friend, I vote against an enemy.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Miller will be 76
Cheney will be 67

(Dole was 75 in 1998)

What about Reagan?  He was 69 when re-elected in 1984.

I believe he was 69 when elected in 80. 73 when re-elected.

Born in Early 1911, iirc.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:33:37 AM EDT
[#16]
No...Zen would not make a good President.  Did you see his interview with Chris Mathews?  He's a hell of a public servent, but he shouldn't be calling the shots as POTUS.  

Dick Cheney will not run in 2008.  He knows he won't win, and every time I see him do an interview, he looks so sick of politics and the games played in DC.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:42:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If Zell Miller (Democrat Senator from Georgia) was running for POTUS in 2008 what would you do?

Wonder who the heck shot Hillary?

And then vote for the republican candidate.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:48:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No...Zen would not make a good President.  
Dick Cheney will not run in 2008.

I completely disagree with your first point. Zen would be a GREAT president! That is if you could get him out of the silo. Zell however would not be a good president.

Agreed that Cheney looks to be about done with politics. Maybe.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:12:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wonder who the heck shot Hillary?

And then vote for the republican candidate.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:14:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:14:37 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:18:34 AM EDT
[#22]

No,
I agree he is one hell of a man and would probubly make a fine prez.
But I would never vote for a Dem. Pres.
For one reason,
if we elected Zell Miller in 08' we would have to fight like hell to keep the senate on our side.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:09:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Hell No! Zell Miller is a scalawag and was involved in the Georgia State Flag debacle.

Deo Vindice!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#24]
As a Georgian, I would not vote for him. He made a good speech, but only becuase he's leaving office and has notthing to lose. If he were running for Prez, it would or might be different. And even if he was going to try to change the Demo party, he'd have a hard time making a difference.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I am a hardcore Republican, and a former Marine. I would vote for Senator Zell Miller in a fucking heartbeat. The man's got big brass balls, plus he's more conservative than a lot of Republicans. Especially after he tore Chris Matthews a new ass after the convention...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I am a hardcore Republican, and a former Marine. I would vote for Senator Zell Miller in a fucking heartbeat. The man's got big brass balls, plus he's more conservative than a lot of Republicans. Especially after he tore Chris Matthews a new ass after the convention...

Yeah, he definately didnt take any shit in his after speech interview did he?

-Nugz
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Hell No! Zell Miller is a scalawag and was involved in the Georgia State Flag debacle.

Deo Vindice!

I am not quite sure what you are talking about. I am an ignorant Yankee I guess.

Are you refering to the "Rebel Flag"  or "Dixie Flag" thing I heard bits and pieces about? Please educate me...seriously.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a flame, I am seriously unaware of the situation and Zell Millers stance on any issue involving the Georgia State flag. Thanx.

-Nugz
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top