Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 4:23:55 AM EDT
I hit a deer with my F150 on the way to work.
Thankfully, there wasn't much damage to my truck.
Nothing a little JB Weld won't fix anyway.  

It broke the front license plate holder and cracked the piece of plastic directly under the bumper.
I was only going about 40 MPH when she came bounding out of the ditch
in the dark.  I slammed on the brakes, but still smacked her dead center
and went over her with both axles.  

I'm really starting to like that full-sized Ford.  That thing is proving to be pretty tough.
The last one I hit (smaller truck) cost me over $5K.  I guess I got off easy this time.

Wait till shotgun season comes around....I'm gonna shoot at least half a dozen of those
critters just out of pure meanness!  

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:27:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, they jump in front of anything.  I was shooting at a tree with my 50 cal muzzle loader when this buck ran the center of his head directly into the bullets flight path.

Stupid animals!  But they taste good.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:29:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:33:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not a deer hunter, but I FULLY encourage the rest of you to SHOOT THE BASTARDS!!

Prolly over $10K worth of deer damage in my lifetime. Just got wifes car back after another $1,500 hit.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:35:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Attaboy, mjohn!  There's one less to ruin the sheet metal on someone's vehicle!
They are tasty, too.  I didn't bother to save the one I hit.  After getting hit AND
run over, I didn't think there would be much left that was worth saving.  

The coyotes have to eat too, right?  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:35:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:41:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm not a deer hunter, but I FULLY encourage the rest of you to SHOOT THE BASTARDS!!

Prolly over $10K worth of deer damage in my lifetime. Just got wifes car back after another $1,500 hit.

The bad thing is, they're getting so thick around here that it's almost impossible to go
for a year without hitting one!  
And that's with the thousands that are taken each year during hunting season.  
I've got 7 tags just for myself this year, and I'm sure we won't even make a
significant dent in the population.

Between me & the better half, we've probably had at least half a dozen claims in the last 10 years
for deer damage.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:43:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
ranch hand

Maybe these should be standard equipment on trucks sold in the Midwest?  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:47:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
but...will the state give us longer hunting seasons, more tags and more frequent seasons?

nooooooooooo!!!

our body shops and insurance companies make a killing off ohio corn-fed deer.

I won't post the words we use to refer to our Department of Natural Resources (DNR)
on the board here, but suffice it to say that it's not flattery.  

They keep the license prices high for out-of-state hunters & then wonder why they can't sell
many licenses & the deer population is growing out of control!  Go figure......
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:48:44 AM EDT
[#9]
That "ranch hand" looks great EXCEPT the last three deer have hit me twice in the side of the  car and once on the top of my hood.

Well, that and it wouldn't look that good on a Toyota Camry.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:52:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
but...will the state give us longer hunting seasons, more tags and more frequent seasons?

nooooooooooo!!!

our body shops and insurance companies make a killing off ohio corn-fed deer.

I live down here in zone 3 and the amount of deer here is mind boggling. At least 1 deer hit a day. Why Ohio has such restrictive deer hunting is beyond me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:15:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That "ranch hand" looks great EXCEPT the last three deer have hit me twice in the side of the  car and once on the top of my hood.

Well, that and it wouldn't look that good on a Toyota Camry.  

www.ranchhand.com/images/Trucks/TruckFordJohnFBR.gif

You're probably right, that might not look too cool on a Camry.  

I did have one jump right into the side of my last Bronco one night as well.
Dumb animals....  I should start carrying my AR in the truck for self defense against these
kamikaze deer!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:19:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:22:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've got 7 tags just for myself this year, and I'm sure we won't even make a
significant dent in the population.

i only hunt gun season with a slug gun (can't use rifles in ohio unless you have a nuisance permit).

if i were to hunt bow season and muzzle loader season i could expect 4 or 5 tags in a good year. if a fellow gets 3 deer around here, it's considered a very successful year.

ohio hunters could bag 3-4 each and not reduce our herd size significantly.

after severely limiting our hunting seasons...the morons organize government staffed/controlled deer kills. these use helicopters, night vision/suppressor hunts by police 'snipers' and odnr personel. at least the meat goes to homeless shelters...but, what a waste of resources!

our highways are littered with deer carcasses! the road crews can't pick them up fast enough.

Why Ohio has such restrictive deer hunting is beyond me.

i don't normally wear tinfoil, but i think it is a combination of tree hugging, bambi loving peta freaks and the insurance lobby teaming up with a bunch of job-justifying odnr idiots. thank god we live on farms and can hunt our own land. at least i stay out of other hunters' gunsights.

A big AMEN to that.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:27:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I had one of those little buggers almost run me off the road in New York back in September. Dang guardrails saved my ass, but took out the moldings along the entire starboard side of my Trooper. Caved in the fron fender, too.

Little bastage got away....
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:35:42 AM EDT
[#15]
You're right, Campy.  Ohio needs to give out some more tags to the hunters that want them.

My seven tags are not all I can get, but rather all the deer I can use/give away.
I could get more paid tags, as well as some for the wife and a few landowner's tags if I wanted.
I just don't know what I'd do with all that meat.

That's why I was hoping the DNR would come to their senses and allow a few more out-of-state hunters in, etc.  Cripes, the way it is, I can't grow an arbae vitae (sp?) tree around my house without the little devils eating it down to the bare trunk.  

Anybody in IA/MN/WI area need any deer meat?  I'll shoot it & gut it.  You come and get it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top