Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 10:46:51 PM EDT
"Just cooperate with them, don't make them mad, give them what they want and they will leave"

And Doyle says we don't need to be able to protect ourselves.  This was just a couple blocks from one of my gunshop haunts, and a few blocks from a good friend's house.  It's actually a decent area of town too, however it is "within range" of the shittier parts.

www.jsonline.com/news/metro/oct04/269434.asp

Apparent Arby's robbery leaves co-workers dead
Shooting deaths of woman, teen stun West Milwaukee, leave authorities searching for clues
By LINDA SPICE and DARRYL ENRIQUEZ
[email protected]
Posted: Oct. 25, 2004
West Milwaukee - She'd worked for Arby's since high school, and at 24, Nicole Joslyn had become an assistant manager at the chain's new restaurant in a booming retail area.

Double Homicide

Photo/Karen Sherlock
West Milwaukee Police officers monitor the scene of a double homicide at Arby's, 1661 Miller Park Way, on Monday. Two employees, Nicole Joslyn, 24, and Alan Lowrie, 17, were found dead after an apparent robbery.

The Victims

Nicole Joslyn, 24, a 1998 graduate of Waukesha South High School.

Alan Lowrie, a Pius XI High School junior from Milwaukee.

West Milwaukee

The last killing in West Milwaukee was in 1999 when a 15-year-old boy was shot in the head at West Milwaukee Park, 5000 W. Burnham St., in a gang-related slaying  
Co-Workers Slain

Graphic/David Arbanas
Double homicide

Related Coverage

Video: TMJ4 report

Advertisement

But as she closed up the store at 1661 Miller Park Way on Sunday, Joslyn may have been thinking about her plans to start a new career, in nursing.

Helping her that night was 17-year-old Alan Lowrie. The Pius XI High School junior's mind may have been on the two St. Bernard puppies he'd gotten the day before, or his Friday appointment with a counselor about applying to college.

By midnight, however, both their futures had been taken, and police began trying to figure out who killed both workers in an apparent robbery.

The killings, the first in West Milwaukee since 1999, stunned officials and other businesses along the fast-redeveloping corridor.

"This is just beyond comprehension," West Milwaukee Police Chief Eugene Oldenburg said Monday. "I'm trying to think of anything like this that has happened in the metro area. I can't think of anything recently."

Co-workers came by Monday, some leaving crosses and flowers, but few wanted to talk. A company spokesman, Fred Stauber, said only, "We're going through a rough, grieving day," and declined further comment.

Joslyn, of Waukesha, and Lowrie, of Milwaukee, were discovered by two co-workers who had been driving by the business about 11:30 p.m. and noticed cars still there. The co-workers, one of whom had a key, entered to find the victims shot.

Oldenburg declined to detail where the bodies were found or how many times they'd been shot.

An undetermined amount of money was taken, Oldenburg said, and there were no signs of forced entry.

The co-workers told investigators that they stopped to see whether Joslyn and Lowrie needed help closing. The chief said the off-duty employees were questioned and released.

Technicians from the Department of Justice Crime Lab in Madison responded to the restaurant to process evidence on the interior of the building before turning over evidence to West Milwaukee investigators.

"I wish I could say we have someone in custody, but we don't," Oldenburg said. "It's a terrible incident, senseless."

Tom and Leona Joslyn of Waukesha said their daughter had worked at Arby's since she was 14, helping out at stores in Waukesha and Oconomowoc before transferring to the West Milwaukee restaurant, which opened in December.

She lived near the restaurant with a girlfriend who also works there, said Tom Joslyn, a teacher at Pleasant Hill Elementary School in Waukesha.

Friends and relatives gathered Monday to lend support and extend condolences.

Her parents described Nicole as a loving person who was always smiling.

"She was always giving. She never judged people," said Meghan Joslyn, her younger sister, a student at Waukesha South High School.

A 1998 graduate of Waukesha South, Nicole was planning to enroll in the nursing program at Waukesha County Technical College. On Monday, she was going to apply for a nurse's aide position at Waukesha Memorial Hospital, her mother said.

"She would have made a good nurse," Leona Joslyn said in a quiet tone.

"She would have been good at anything," Tom Joslyn said.

Lowrie, the youngest of three children, was born with a learning disability, said his parents, Leon and Carol Lowrie. But he had a driver's license and planned to study computer animation in college. He loved computers, animals and the 1990 Geo Tracker he recently bought with summer savings, after starting work for Arby's in May. His birthday would have been election day, Nov. 2.

"How'd you like to plan your son's 18th birthday, and all of a sudden turn around and have to plan his funeral," his mother asked.

His two Rottweiler mix dogs, Smokey and Patches, had each died within the month. On Saturday, he went with his parents to pick up two young St. Bernards, Shawnee and Dakota.

Because Alan was diligent about keeping in touch by phone, his parents said they began to worry about an hour after he should have returned home Sunday night. About 12:50 a.m., Leon Lowrie said, he went to the restaurant, saw police and learned his son had been killed.

"I raced back and told Carol. She screamed for 10 whole minutes," he said.

The last killing in this village of about 4,200 came in 1999, when a 15-year-old boy was shot in the head at West Milwaukee Park, 5000 W. Burnham St., in a gang-related slaying.

Once defined by manufacturing, the village in recent years has undergone a renaissance of commercial and retail redevelopment, including a new Target, Starbucks, Chili's and the new Arby's.

West Milwaukee police records show no problems at the restaurant since its opening in December.

At a Culver's restaurant next door, managers met Monday morning to discuss the incident and protection of their own employees and customers.

Culver's owner Mike Busalacchi said his restaurant has several security cameras and that tapes were being reviewed for anything that might aid the investigation.

Oldenburg declined to say whether Arby's had security cameras operating.

Employees of nearby Alarmtronics stood outside watching the scene at the Arby's on Monday morning.

Alarmtronics owner John Deering, who has worked at his store for about eight years, said the area has looked better since the village redevelopment along Miller Park Way, which he called a safe area.

"It's shocking. It just puts a little scary feeling in your gut," he said of the slayings.

Residents along nearby S. 44th St. were also talking.

"If it's developing, you're bound to get (crime)," said Allen Omick, 65, a resident of 38 years. "Once it gets developed, hopefully the crime stays away."

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#1]
These are almost always inside jobs. Cooperation or not, they leave no witnesses.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:50:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
These are almost always inside jobs.

I'm sure it looks like I am hopping on the bandwagon here, but I am guessing it was acquantences of the 17 YO.  His profile in this story reads like a gangbanger to me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Read a book by Richard Poe called "The Seven Myths Of Gun Control"... it talks about this.... its called Active Compliance. You are taught that if you give in to the thugs, you will stay alive... NOT anymore... Look at the crew on the 4 planes on 9-11... they thought they were just being hijacked and would be released.

times changed people. Times have indeed changed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The reason why a lot of big corps don't want you to fight back is because to the liablitiy. If you fight back, and you win the perp relative will sue the company and win millions. Of course if you get killed, they will just throw in a few 10 thousands to cover the funeral. It's just a business decision pure & simple, just dollars and cents.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:17:22 PM EDT
[#5]
been to that Arby's

Doyle is REALLY pissing me off lately
How much longer is he in office?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:25:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm... Wonder if the corporate staff pukes would have complimented the manager for complying with the robber's demands?

Don't resist like they did at Long John Silver's or you'll get fired!

wganz

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:42:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I havent seen a job yet worth my life. If I think my best odds are in complying, I comply. If my best odds are in running, I run. If my best odds are in fighting...
Your getting a spork in the neck motherfucker!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:07:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:11:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:12:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Coworkers stopped by to see if they could help close the store? Yeah....right! Put them on the top of the suspect list.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:13:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#12]
ARFCOMmers call it again!
www.jsonline.com/news/metro/oct04/269719.asp

Killings called an inside job
Police arrest co-worker, former employee in double homicide
By LINDA SPICE and MEG JONES
[email protected]
Posted: Oct. 26, 2004
West Milwaukee - The weekend killing of two Arby's employees appears to have been an inside job, police say.

Police have arrested two Milwaukee men, ages 20 and 23. One man is an employee of the restaurant and the other is a former employee.

The names of the suspects were not released. The men remained in the custody of West Milwaukee police Tuesday night.

Police Chief Eugene Oldenburg said Tuesday that his department would seek charges of first-degree intentional homicide against the suspects.

"From the circumstances of what happened and how it happened, there was a pretty good feeling all along that this was not a random act," said Fred Stauber, chief operating officer for more than 60 Arby's restaurants in five states.

Nicole Joslyn, 24, of Waukesha, an assistant manager, and Alan Lowrie, 17, of Milwaukee, were closing up for the night at Arby's, 1661 Miller Park Way, when both were shot and killed.

An undetermined sum of money was taken, Oldenburg said, and there were no signs of forced entry.

Their bodies were discovered by two co-workers who had been driving by the restaurant about 11:30 p.m. and noticed cars still there. The co-workers, one of whom had a key, entered to find the victims.

No murder weapon has been found, but investigators are preparing search warrants to build their case, Oldenburg said.

The co-workers who found the bodies, who were not named Tuesday, were interviewed and released Monday.

Oldenburg said one suspect was arrested about 1 p.m. at the West Milwaukee Police Department during a follow-up interview. The second suspect was arrested at 3:30 p.m. after he called Milwaukee police to surrender, Oldenburg said.

During a news conference Tuesday, authorities said tips came into police as well as the West Allis-West Milwaukee Crime Stoppers organization, which offered a $1,000 reward for information on the crimes.

Bouquets of flowers continued to grow Tuesday around the memorial site outside of Arby's, while vendors dropped off shipments of products. Arby's officials plan to reopen the store next week.

At a candlelightvigil Tuesday night, about 75 people huddled in the evening chill next to the memorial, glowing in the light of the candles. They hugged each other, and some softly sang "Amazing Grace" as they held candles protected by Arby's soda cups.

Tom Joslyn, thefather of Nicole, told the crowd: "You're all here because of one person. Look how many lives have been touched by one person."

Joslyn asked if any of Lowrie's family members were in the crowd, and several stepped forward. The families, who didn't know each other before Sunday night, hugged in grief.

Andrew Soukup ofMilwaukee and Martin Lazcano of Waukesha stood at the side of the street silently holding candles. They were Nicole's friends and remembered her as an upbeat person who was quick with a smile.

They were both shocked to hear that one of her co-workers and a former Arby's employee were arrested in the double homicide.

"It makes me sick," Soukup said. "I can't believe they'd take two innocent lives over a couple hundred bucks, especially someone who knew them. No one deserves that."

Lazcano, whose fiancee was close friends with Nicole, had seen her at a Waukesha bar the night before she died. He and his fiancee kissed her.

"I'm glad I had that last moment with her," Lazcano said.

Joslyn's father said he has pity for the suspects.

"They view the world through the wrong kind of eyes and they will never know the joy that Nicole and Alan did," Joslyn said.

The Lowrie family said they needed time to grieve for their son and declined further comment.

Carol and Leon Lowrie, Alan's parents, met at the end of the school day with staff at Pius XI High School, where Lowrie was a junior. Teachers told his parents that they have never seen the halls as quiet as they were Tuesday.

The school had created a display of photos of Lowrie in the chapel, accompanied by a book in which students could write personal messages. After school, students spoke about memories of a classmate who they remembered as quiet, but very friendly.

"Everyone is sad," said DaShawn Beal, 18, a senior who knew Lowrie from a previous biology class. He noted that Lowrie's death was especially hard for the junior class, which lost another classmate, Steve Jones, who died from diabetes in July.

Pendergast said on a day when students were coping with Lowrie's death, the school was also holding a bake sale to raise money in Steve's memory, which would be sent to help with research for juvenile diabetes.

Pendergast said of the junior class coping with the loss of two schoolmates, "They're probably going to deal with that for a while. Their mortality buttons have been pushed."

Fucking idiot kids.  Killed people they worked with for a small amount of cash, and the next day they are getting nailed for it.  That isn't justice.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top