Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2004 5:24:45 AM EDT
ok, I know we have a few Train Engineer types onboard.. my question is;

Is it possible to get a ride on a locomotive?

I can only believe the view up there is 2nd only to flying upfront in an airplane (done lots of that).
Looking out only to the left or right is pretty boring once you've been up front!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:26:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Jesse James did it all the time.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:31:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag...I want a ride on a train too.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:35:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:37:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Bribes <cough>... I mean bids now being taken.... they should include (1) $$$  (2) AR Rifles (3) some fine looking BOTD for the Engineer (that's me)
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:41:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Tag...I want a ride on a train too.  

cough+1
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:51:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Trains:

When I played football in highschool there was this one cheerleader ......
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Any local GA engineers that could let me take a ride as well.  I would love to be a locomotive engineer.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I betcha with all the homeland security stuff....you can't do it anymore....I work on a tug...in NYC harbor, and I can't bring my own dad out for the day...
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:35:36 AM EDT
[#9]
My 18 year old son just took his first train out yesterday. He's a conductor trainee on the Norfolk Southern. He ran a loaded coal train from Altoona Pa. to Harrisburgh Pa. and then he returned with an empty coal train. He told me that it didn't feel like the train was rolling it just felt like it was being dragged! He told me it's a slight swaying back and forth, and also you sit up so high you don't feel like you are going the actual speed . He also told me the chairs are very comfortable. In fact the whole ride was pleasant he sid. It's alot quieter than he thought it would be, except when he opened the window! He said the approaching trains on the other tracks are extremely close when passing and they create a huge amount of wind turbulance. He took some photos and video but I don't know how to get them on the 'net. He told me the engineer and conductor that he trained with were really nice guys. Also they saw a dog cross the tracks and came just a few feet from hitting it , they did run over a groundhog that got up on the rails and they saw a couple deer that were killed by trains. I've always been a train nut and it's cool to have my son now working on the RR.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:38:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My 18 year old son just took his first train out yesterday. He's a conductor trainee on the Norfolk Southern. He ran a loaded coal train from Altoona Pa. to Harrisburgh Pa. and then he returned with an empty coal train. He told me that it didn't feel like the train was rolling it just felt like it was being dragged! He told me it's a slight swaying back and forth, and also you sit up so high you don't feel like you are going the actual speed . He also told me the chairs are very comfortable. In fact the whole ride was pleasant he sid. It's alot quieter than he thought it would be, except when he opened the window! He said the approaching trains on the other tracks are extremely close when passing and they create a huge amount of wind turbulance. He took some photos and video but I don't know how to get them on the 'net. He told me the engineer and conductor that he trained with were really nice guys. Also they saw a dog cross the tracks and came just a few feet from hitting it , they did run over a groundhog that got up on the rails and they saw a couple deer that were killed by trains. I've always been a train nut and it's cool to have my son now working on the RR.

If you want it posted I can host it for you. Email it to me if you want.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Trains:

When I played football in highschool there was this one cheerleader ......

+1
+2
+3
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I am completely computer illiterate. I don't even do the email thing. When my son wakes up (he was up and awake for 38 hours and had spent about 12 hours driving his jeep back and forth) I want to see if we can fiure out how to get the photos and video from his cell phone onto the computer. The only thing I know how to do with the computer is browse the internet, I can't type well either ... I use the hunt and peck 2 finger method!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#14]
In case you guys never get your cab rides, here's what it looks like:

As you can see, kind of boring.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#15]
More lameness....

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#16]
So...  How does one become a train engineer?

Kent
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So...  How does one become a train engineer?

Kent

You have hire out as a switchman/brakeman/conductor, get a little experience, and then put in for the engineer's program as the classes are put up for bid. I hear that on the Norfolk Southern, however, that post-1985 employees are basically forced to take the "promotion" to engineer in seniority order as the company has need for additional engineers.

I, for one, am damn glad I never became an engineer. And I am far from alone in that feeling.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Pssst.... Hey kid. Come here. Like trains? Naw,I ain't gonna hurt ya. Come here. Check out this website.

http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictale/rrpictale.htm

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top