Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2004 2:42:30 AM EDT

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/10/23/nbead23.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/10/23/ixhome.html

Rosary is not just a fashion item, explains Church

By Jonathan Petre, Religion Correspondent, and David Sapsted
(Filed: 23/10/2004)

The soaring popularity of rosary beads among the fashion conscious has provoked the Roman Catholic Church to issue a leaflet stressing their religious significance.

Christian bookshops and other suppliers have been overwhelmed by demand from teenagers since celebrities such as David Beckham and Britney Spears began wearing the beads as necklaces and bracelets.

Catholic authorities have expressed "regret" about the way the beads are being trivialised and the Bishops' Conference of England and Wales has now produced guidance on their use as prayer aids.

Fr Allen Morris, the secretary of the Department for Christian Life and Worship, said jewellery shops were reporting record sales of rosaries and the leaflet was a response to concern that they were seen as mere secular fashion items.

Shirley Nicholls, manager of the Revelations Christian Bookshop in Ipswich, said: "We have sold more than 100 rosary beads in the past six weeks. We normally sell about three dozen in April and May, when people have them for their first communion, and then the odd one during the rest of the year.

"But during the summer, they have been selling like hot cakes and the children keep asking me to order more."

Traditional rosaries consist of five sets of beads, each set comprising one large bead representing the Lord's Prayer, and 10 smaller ones representing the Hail Mary. They were originally used by people who could not read or write to help them meditate on the life of Jesus.

Mrs Nicholls, who runs the shop on behalf of the St Edmundsbury and Ipswich diocese, has now started handing out booklets with the rosaries, explaining how to use the beads for prayer.

"I think it's a rather strange fashion accessory," she said. "I couldn't handle the idea at first, but now I hand out a leaflet with every purchase, so that youngsters have a chance to see what the beads are for."

Kristina Cooper, editor of the national Good News Magazine for the Catholic Charismatic Renewal, has also been handing out rosaries to children on her estate in south-west London.

"I think it's a bid sad if people wear rosary beads and don't understand what they mean," she said. "But it's an opportunity for Christians to explain to people what they are all about.

"I make the youngsters earn their rosaries by learning Our Father and I tell them they are prayer beads and not fashion items."

Beckham, the England football captain, epitomised the trend when he appeared on the front cover of Vanity Fair sporting a Dolce & Gabbana "rosary necklace" worth £550.

The singer Britney Spears was pictured in Dublin wearing white beads, and Tara Palmer-Tomkinson, the television personality, has also been photographed with a rosary.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:57:53 AM EDT
[#1]
That still doesn't convince me to exclude them from my "drag" outfit worn every Tuesday and Thursday evening.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:58:11 AM EDT
[#2]
What's with all the threads baiting the Catholic-haters?  Does it have something to do with Halloween?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:05:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I didn't post the story to "bait" anyone.  

I myself am not religious, but I respect those that sincerely are.  Stories like this are disturbing to me because they show the total disconnect between people today and our history and traditions.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:05:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What's with all the threads baiting the Catholic-haters?  Does it have something to do with Halloween?

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:39:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess I should stop using them as anal beads for my wife as well.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:42:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It is the last acceptable form of American hate.  It's the "cool" thing to do.

But I don't see this articule as bashing, just stating facts.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:44:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgtar15

Right, he hasn't used the word "Popery" yet. This is the ARfcom standard for Catholic bashing.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:39:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgtar15

Right, he hasn't used the word "Popery" yet. This is the ARfcom standard for Catholic bashing.

Popery, haven't heard that one yet. Time to add it to the list
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:10:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgtar15

Popery, haven't heard that one yet. Time to add it to the list

I believe the preferred term is "Papist", pronounced with a hard A.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:17:35 AM EDT
[#10]
The only rosary related thing that would bother me are the rosary air-fresheners you see in cars.

Digital
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I may not pray them anymore, but it has always bothered me that rosaries are used as a fashion accessory, especially by people who wouldn't be caught dead praying at all, let alone the rosary.

As for the rest of this thread, can we all just give it a friggin' rest? Jeez!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:24:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Catholic girls start much too late.......

Only the good die young.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#13]
+1 for not wearing the beads as some damn necklace . . . .
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:56:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/10/23/nbead23.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/10/23/ixhome.html

Rosary is not just a fashion item, explains Church

By Jonathan Petre, Religion Correspondent, and David Sapsted
(Filed: 23/10/2004)

The soaring popularity of rosary beads among the fashion conscious has provoked the Roman Catholic Church to issue a leaflet stressing their religious significance.

Christian bookshops and other suppliers have been overwhelmed by demand from teenagers since celebrities such as David Beckham and Britney Spears began wearing the beads as necklaces and bracelets.

Catholic authorities have expressed "regret" about the way the beads are being trivialised and the Bishops' Conference of England and Wales has now produced guidance on their use as prayer aids.

Fr Allen Morris, the secretary of the Department for Christian Life and Worship, said jewellery shops were reporting record sales of rosaries and the leaflet was a response to concern that they were seen as mere secular fashion items.

Shirley Nicholls, manager of the Revelations Christian Bookshop in Ipswich, said: "We have sold more than 100 rosary beads in the past six weeks. We normally sell about three dozen in April and May, when people have them for their first communion, and then the odd one during the rest of the year.

"But during the summer, they have been selling like hot cakes and the children keep asking me to order more."

Traditional rosaries consist of five sets of beads, each set comprising one large bead representing the Lord's Prayer, and 10 smaller ones representing the Hail Mary. They were originally used by people who could not read or write to help them meditate on the life of Jesus.

Mrs Nicholls, who runs the shop on behalf of the St Edmundsbury and Ipswich diocese, has now started handing out booklets with the rosaries, explaining how to use the beads for prayer.

"I think it's a rather strange fashion accessory," she said. "I couldn't handle the idea at first, but now I hand out a leaflet with every purchase, so that youngsters have a chance to see what the beads are for."

Kristina Cooper, editor of the national Good News Magazine for the Catholic Charismatic Renewal, has also been handing out rosaries to children on her estate in south-west London.

"I think it's a bid sad if people wear rosary beads and don't understand what they mean," she said. "But it's an opportunity for Christians to explain to people what they are all about.

"I make the youngsters earn their rosaries by learning Our Father and I tell them they are prayer beads and not fashion items."

Beckham, the England football captain, epitomised the trend when he appeared on the front cover of Vanity Fair sporting a Dolce & Gabbana "rosary necklace" worth £550.

The singer Britney Spears was pictured in Dublin wearing white beads, and Tara Palmer-Tomkinson, the television personality, has also been photographed with a rosary.

Airwolf ...

Remember what our Lord said what was going to happen towards the "end times".

And even the evil one appears as an "angel of light".

Many deceive themselves.

One fact must be remembered ... Jesus said that He was the only way to God (John 14:6) ... but many will go down the broad and wide road of destruction.

If you or anyone else are being "bashed" because of Christ, be exceedindly glad, for great will your reward be in God's Kingdom.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I didn't post the story to "bait" anyone.  

I myself am not religious, but I respect those that sincerely are.  Stories like this are disturbing to me because they show the total disconnect between people today and our history and traditions.

Sorry, nothing directed at you personally.  It just seems lately on this board that if the slightest opportunity presents itself to bash Catholics, the full-mooners come out in force.

Sorry again!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is the last acceptable form of American hate.
It's the "cool" thing to do.

Sgtar15

That seems to be the case.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#17]
just another example of people making a buck off of religion, and thus cheapening it.

ie:
rosary beads as fashion accessories
god's gym shirts with Jesus bench-pressing the cross
what would Jesus do bracelets
etc etc etc

all of that crap makes religion look cheap and commercialized. whenever i saw that stuff growing up in a private school, i wanted to puke.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#18]
and to you catholics, why are you always so ready to jump on people who dare post anything about the 'catholic church' as catholic bashers. give me a break.

it's as bad as the liberals that call everyone and anyone racist.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#19]
At least they didn't put one out about not using them as anal beads.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#20]
For far too long, the defining symbol of Christianity-Christ's cross-has also been used as a cheap fashion item by everyone from ganster rappers (usually one weighing around six pounds) to people we may know personally, none of whom have the slightest clue of it's significance, or of the suffering endured on it. It's disgraceful and offensive, and most all of these folks are completely oblivious to that fact. Not trying to hijack the thread here, but it definitely strikes a nerve.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/e21hy

What's with the "reservoir tip" shadow?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/e21hy

What's with the "reservoir tip" shadow?

Read the signs.

Yet another "clever" attempt to bash the Catholic Church.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top