Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2004 4:30:52 PM EDT

I went and met my good friend today who just returned on leave from Afghanistan.  He is currently serving as an MP, and had lots of amazing pics, and stories from his time over there.   He is shot at on a daily basis, has returned fire but is unsure of whether or not he has killed anyone, and works constantly with SF types, running around in Toyota pickups, doing all the high speed low drag stuff you will never see in a recruitment poster.

I served with him about 18 months ago, but left the service only a few weeks before the unit found out they were rotating to Afghanistan.  I reenlisted, but couldn't secure a slot with the deploying unit, so even now I have yet to serve overseas.

Seeing all his pictures and hearing his amazing stories makes me feel like a real POS, because he really looked up to me before he deployed, and now even I can admit that his soldiering skills far exceed my own.

There is a chance that I will go over with a Cav unit in a few months, but I still hate that others have done so much when I have done so little, even though I have been in the service throughout the war.

That is all, just had to get it off my chest.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't worry the WOT is not even close to being over.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Bullsh*t!

You are honorably serving in the armed forces, and just because you havn't gone overseas yet doesn't diminish your service on bit.

Now take a fu*king strain and get to work!

Zaphod out.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Seeing all his pictures and hearing his amazing stories makes me feel like a real POS, because he really looked up to me before he deployed, and now even I can admit that his soldiering skills far exceed my own.

You are NOT a scumbag and this statement proves it!

The true test of a teacher is when the student surpasses him!

We all give in one way or another.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I felt the sameway being discharged in '02. this year i joined the ARNG (shut it... the NG has some good guys!) as an 11B. We just got word it is our turn again. Back to AO in a few months. Good luck man, you'll get there, just be safe!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You got that right.  There are even credible open source intel reports that say we are "loosing" the war.  But, "loosing" is a relative term.  My boss was at BIAP and the surrounding area from roughly 8/03-2/04 and saw very little.  Now that area is totally different, and will probably change even more.

If you are really nervous about missing out . . .  . you could always take a job as one of those highly paid rent-a-guards  who wear adventure clothes and carry high-speed weapons.  Those guys are the coolest of the cool---just ask them . . . .
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Every person serving this country is part of the security of America...and I thank you for that service.

Can you imagine my position?  I'm 42 and would love to go get some.  They say I'm too old.

So, I do all I can do to support our troops.  I send no less than 10 packages a month to our troops overseas.  I send care packages to our troops that are recovering in hospitals.

I pray for our troops living and dead, and I pray that our veterans can go back to living normal lives.

Do what you can, but don't feel bad.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Your not even close to a scumbag.  My hats off to you and all of those who serve, and I mean ALL who serve, from the infantry, the pilots, the bomb loaders, and the truck drivers and the cooks.  You are all part of one team.  Our team.  You are what makes this country of ours the greatest place in the universe.  We have no equal thanks to you and others who serve, have served or will serve.

My father was in the milirary for 38 years flying fighters.  I was unable to serve due to health reasons.  My wife is currently serving with the NMNG but has not been called up as of yet.

I have a similar story, one of my very good friends growing up and a dude I used to take duck hunting on a weekly basis when he was in 8th grade and up to the time he graduated is a Captain with the Marines.  He just got back from Iraq where he was a company comander.  His company was the one kicking ass in Fallujah last April.  In fact many of the video's you see on the net right now are from his company.  He shared some of his stories with me last week and I let him know how fucking proud of him I was.  He's a good man.  One of our countries finest.  It sounds as though your friend is as well.  However you need to realize that you are as well.

My hats of to you, I thank you, and I raise my glass to your willingness to serve.  I raise my glass to all who serve.  They say the greatest generation came up in WWII.  I think the current crop of our nations heros will keep up the memory of their accomplishments.

Thank you.  

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You got that right.  There are even credible open source intel reports that say we are "loosing" the war.  But, "loosing" is a relative term.  

Not to me.  I hate loose wars.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But, "loosing" is a relative term.  

Actually, it's not even a word.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top