Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2001 12:41:50 PM EDT
Just thought I let you guys know, since I've told you guys just about everything else.

That is all.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#1]
good luck man. read your post about selling cars. tough to be sucessful. it may take some time, but something better will cross your path. i may be facing the same thing come x-mas. best wishes.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I take it the meeting didn't go so well
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanx, I just hat to think the worst case scenario. Which is go back to Kali.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's some good information for you to keep in mind as you figure on what to do next.....
---------------------------------------

DON'T BE FOOLED BY THESE FIVE LIES THIS SUMMER

By JOHN CRUDELE    Nypost.Com

June 5, 2001 -- SUMMERTIME, and living - and lying - is easy. On Wall Street, so many money managers and stock gurus have their minds on leisurely pursuits that untruths seem to get a free ride.

So here are some lies that you'll likely encounter in the coming months.
* Lie #1 - The "summer rally" story.
There are stock market rallies in summer. It's tough to go through any three-month period and not have something resembling an upturn. But summer rallies, according to the Stock Traders Almanac, tend to be the weakest.

Rallies during the summer months have averaged 9.7 percent since the early 1960s. In contrast, winter rallies sent stocks up an average of 14 percent.

* Lie #2 - The economy will improve this summer.
First Call analysts, who track the economy through corporate profits, expect corporate profits to be down 14 percent in the current quarter compared to the same period last year. Wall Street thinks company profits will be down only 3.5 percent in the summer quarter and then will show an improvement of 8 percent in the fourth quarter.

Next year, the pros are predicting, corporate growth will rise 18.6 percent.
Wall Street is either lying to us, deceiving itself or too many analysts have already been out in the sun too long.

The Jerome Levy Economics Institute - which doesn't make money by making you feel optimistic so it can sell you stocks - thinks the economy will get worse in the second half of this year.

* Lie #3 - The unemployment rate went down last month. Last Friday, the D.C.eivers announced that the unemployment rate fell back down to 4.4 percent from 4.5 percent, even though it was also announced that 19,000 jobs disappeared. The 4.4 percent rate was little consolation, but it made some people happy.
The truth is that the unemployment rate declined only because the government decided that the nation's work force had suddenly gotten smaller. And that will automatically happen when job seekers become too demoralized to look for work and pull out of the work force.

As for the modest 19,000 jobs that disappeared - the number had several major statistical adjustments that rendered the May count virtually worthless.

Link Posted: 6/8/2001 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#7]
* Lie #4 - If you believe what you read, Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan will cut interest rates again on June 27 without any opposition.

Greenspan may very well make the sixth rate cut of the year. But it won't be an easy call.
For one thing, other Fed officials have been issuing warnings about inflation. Finally! Fuel costs have been climbing all year. The price of gold is soaring. And now, in the sixth month of 2001, the Fed is acknowledging what companies already know - energy costs are killing us.
So on June 27, the Fed has to decide if six cuts - even if this next one is just a quarter point - could make the inflation alarms blare too loud.

* Lie #5 - Your broker says the stock market is safe right now. He'll probably say that stocks are down enough already, and even if the market starts to slide again, the Fed will come to the rescue.

Lies. Stock prices are still very overpriced at 25 times earnings per for the S& P 500 index. And with corporate profits actually declining, the market becomes more overvalued each time companies report earnings - even if the stock market only stays right where it is.

And what about the Fed coming to the rescue?
Each rate cut has a little less impact.
Cut No. 6 will not be a magic bullet.

Now go and enjoy the beach.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Finaly had enough, eh? I hope yer not gonna go back to Kali. Any job prospects yet?
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Damn, amigo!  What happened?  I thought the firm in CA wanted you back?  I'm glad you're free of the firm in TX, but GEE...

View Quote

Unfortunately I waited too long and they ended up hiring 2 people. 2 people to fill my spot I still laugh about that. Kinda makes me feel special I guess.

Well, I guess I will go to Wingstop get a 10pcs Texas Wings, pick up a pizza at Papa Johns and polish off the 12pk of Sam Adams I got in the fridge.
Gonna go to Huffines dealership on Mon. to see if I could get a job.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#11]
If you can at all afford it, take a week or two and clear your head.  Do the things you enjoy doing.  Relax, try not to even think about what the hell you're going to do for income (it is next to impossible, but at least try).  Then after your break, start the job search with a fresh mind and positive attitude.  Most likely you will have made an improvement in your life when it is all over.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#12]
If you've got money enough saved away that you can eat and pay rent for a few months being unemployed and poor might just be the best vacation you ever had. I know I'm wishing everyday that I walk into this place that I wasn't afraid to try and live without money for a little while, I've done it before and truthfully I never felt more free.

Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Gave up on my 15 years with toyota recently (master technician) and have been out of work for a month or so.
Keep your chin up, and find a job you LIKE or LOVE to do, you may earn less, maybe more but bottom line is you live once so enjoy it !!!
GOOD LUCK AMIGO !!!!
51 out...
[x]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I am going to be in the same boat after next week. I am going to collect unemployment for a while, hell I paid enough into it for long enough.

Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I know how you feel.  Been there....done that....twice in fact.

"When one door closes, another one opens."

-who knows!

Smart dude who first came up with that line though.  I can honestly say this...  Both times I lost my job it was the best thing that happened to me career wise.  Didn't think that at the time of course!  Now it's a different story though.  Head up, chin up, cheer up!!
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#17]
If $ gets tight you can always sell us your guns [:D]

Hang in there opportunities will come up so keep a sharp eye open. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been layed off twice in my life. One from a company that I've been with for 10 years. It is not a pleasant experience.
Now I work for a company that is going through all types of reorganizing. We just got a new union contract and now they are talking layoffs.

Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Papa John's is some good pizza.  Get a works.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry to hear it..  Good Luck LT !

(try your hardest not to go back to Kali)

Link Posted: 6/8/2001 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#21]
L.T.

Don't even seriously consider a job selling Autos. They pay you only on commission, no paycheck until you sell a car. And if you've never sold Autos before, you ain't gonna learn how to do so in a hurry.

Could be WEEKS before you make a sale and get paid, and then they'll most likely try to screw you on some of the money you'd have coming. After all, your the New Guy....

Auto Sales is a Dog Eat Dog Business, and if you know nothing about how it really works you are one dead duck.

You'd be a lot smarter to just move back to PRK and get a job dealing with the stock market as this is what you really do best.

Screw Texas for now,You need a Job and Texas isn't going to provide one for you in a field in which you have experience.

Kali is where all the major stock market players are locted.

Gotta figure out what to do with your 2nd Amendment teeth, though. Check out if you can store your guns with some company set up for storage of Firearms...There are some around, or if you have a relative you could store them with....

If you go for the Car Salesman route, you'll end up in even worse shape you are now. At least the companies you've worked for in the past always had a Paycheck for you on Pay Day, working for Commission isn't like that...No Sale, No Paycheck...

Think Hard about it.....
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Unfortunately, I blew my cash moving here to DFW. I have maybe 1mo. to survive on. If I get a job to supplement maybe I can stretch it 2-3mos. That's why I was looking into cleaning pools or selling cars. It is something immediate until I can find something in my chosen profession.

To those of you that read my post last night, I guess you can tell the meeting did not go well. I had the impression that they wanted me out. It was only a matter of time. What really confuses me is why they even offered me the job to begin with. It was a long meeting took roughly 1 1/2 hrs of me explaining my position and them running around with explainations. When I would catch em on something they would bring up trivial things.

Couple of things brought up were:

I had 16 trades that had errors in my 2 1/2 mos there. I pointed out that all those errors were mainly just booked in with wrong commission grids for the reps. It happened mainly my first month there cause I was still learning their commission structure. It did not cost the company any revenue as they were easily corrected. TRIVIAL

They said they decided to not have a fixed income desk run by me cause of confidence issues due to the reason above. This after I gave a flawless cost analysis, and proposal. The higher ups agreed that they needed to do this(just found out at the mtg) Basically they were losing $250K a yr in revenue by having an outside firm do this. Also found out that they are still seriously thinking about it but with another person in mind. VERY PETTY of them.

At this point I tactfully told them that I thought it was unfair. We then came to the conclusion that we should part ways. I still need to go back on Monday to see what decision they have wether I am considered laid off, terminated, or resigned. There is also the $2K forgivable loan to move me out here. My impression is they are looking to forgive that. We'll see.

Man did I get fucked good. Bring me out here and slap me in the face. At least I can I got screwed in Dallas already.

How's that Imbroglio, even in a new place I get screwed. Well I guess I'll get a chance to post more. And since I will be posting more and I need a job; Is that moderator position still open? How much does it pay? What are the hours?
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm self-employed and I'm about ready to fire myself for goofing off on the job, not to mention the insubordination.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Bowser thanx for the advice. I have worked on straight commis before and know how it goes. I saw a few ads that will give you a training salary. Anywhere from $1500-2000 a month. Its all I need to supplement my savings. It'll be good for now.

Going back to Kali is definitely my last resort. There are plenty of jobs for my industry there. Funny my industry is mainly in UN-gun friendly states. NY, MA, NJ, CA. Of there is FL. I am looking into that option.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I ate 2 tubs of cottage cheese today.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Imbrog|io - did you pop the cheeks with a mouth full? [:D]

LT - I would suggest [url]www.dice.com[/url] or just contract/consult, but you would have to write software to appreciate the advice.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#27]
good luck bro!
you'll probably hate NY, but if you come with a resume, e-mail me!

BTW did Merrill get back to you yet?
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#28]
you could allways apply for a gov't grant to start yore own consulting firm. its an idea anyway...
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey that's right! I saw that one Where's Waldo looking guy on TV where he is peddling a govt grant book and there are a bunch of womenz on there saying they got thousands of dollars in free money! One womenz got like $60,000 to start her own business!

Link Posted: 6/8/2001 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Come on out to AZ, we had the lowest unemployment rate in the country last I checked.  Tons of jobs in all fields from entry level to mgmt and higher waiting to be filled.  Plus we're an open carry state at age 18 and we have must issue CCW permits.  We're Class 3, suppressor, and DD friendly.  We could use more people like you.  Come, join TREETOP, ILuv2Shoot, and all the others that have joined the ranks of the great state of AZ.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm in the same boat LT. Take a couple of weeks off to enjoy breathing and then hit it hard because the offers aren't coming in too fast to me right now. There are a lot of hiring worries out there from the companies I've talked to.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#33]
As to being a car salesman, I saw a few years ago that professional salesman is the #1 paying profession.  Lawyer and doctor were 2 and 3.  Through work I have compared the income of several local car salemen, and they in general do very well.

But for every one who is making a mint, there are probably two or three starving.  I think you need to have the right personality for it.  Some are born to sell.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#34]
lt, sorry to hear of your bad luck, brother. have you thought about ohio? columbus has a lot of market types working in what may well be one of the nicest large cities in the country. my niece has her license and trades downtown for a firm (forget the name).

don't worry, you'll get thru this. unemployment is unpleasant, but not the worst thing that could happen to you, by far.

let me know if there's anything i can help you out with.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Going back to Kali is definitely my last resort. There are plenty of jobs for my industry there. Funny my industry is mainly in UN-gun friendly states. NY, MA, NJ, CA. Of there is FL. I am looking into that option.
View Quote

Hmm..  Did you ever consider moving to Pennsylvania (supposedly very gun-friendly) and commuting to NJ or NY ?

Just a thought..
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Hey thanx for the well wishes guys I am sure something will turn up.

FattyM4, no I have not heard from Merrill. I shot a resume through to their website on Mon. It will probably take a week to filter in thru their system. I will wait for another week then call the local branch.

Topcrest, I would love to move to AZ. However if I move now with no job, my finances will really be screwed. I do have a couple of recruiter I am working with. One here locally and one that is looking for me in FL and AZ among other places. I had talked to Schwab there in Phoenix for their bond desk there. I was not hired however. That was actually a blessing in itself cause they started laying people off a few months later.

Campy, Ohio? it snows there right? Cold stuff? I don't think I can handle that. I got an offer a yr ago to go to Chicago and turned it down. It snows there. [:D] Us Filipino's are not used to snow.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Supper would probably be Spam and steamed rice. I don't think I can post a pic, not many people can stomach that.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
a yr ago to go to Chicago and turned it down. It snows there. [:D] Us Filipino's are not used to snow.
View Quote

Good luck dude.  Its hard losing a job.  
One thing, we have lots of Filipino's around here in Chicago!!  We have them on 8 hr shifts, and you have to look for them, but they are here.  Those little things called show-pao(round dough things with meat inside, with egg)  are the bomb!!  
Good luck again.
C-rock
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#41]
LT,
Have you tried LR Ark? Outside of the CBT, they are supposed to me a Mecca for Bond trading. It is not too far from where you are now, plus very gun friendly.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Those little things called show-pao(round dough things with meat inside, with egg)  are the bomb!!  
Good luck again.
C-rock
View Quote

Man, why you gotta go and make me hungry for? [:D]

I love those. In Hawaii they call em manpua's, Chinese call em CharSuBau. MMMMMMM
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#43]
snow? cold? those are just rumors we spread to keep from being overrun by folks from those overpopulated states that promote their "perfect climates"! why...even the folks in north dakota think ohio has worse weather!!! lol!

not too many philipinos in my area of the state. who knows? maybe we could pay you some big bucks to be our token minority! it's a gravy job, complete with a tourist attraction listing...all you have to do is walk around making fun of us "natives"!
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Hey Campy I'll take the job as long as I don't have to wear a tutu. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#45]
I need help on Monday, Wed, and planning the next shoot.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Good Luck, I think Idaho is the place to be, very gun friendly. Boise is a growing city, know it's not in the near future, but think about it.[beer]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Lordtrader,

This probably does not help much, but I understand the situation you are in.  I just moved to Phoenix from Indy.  I left behind a good job that I liked, and my girlfriend.  I left 'cause I thought the job here would have more oppurtunity.  I'm not sure it it will or not, I am still trying to scrath out what the heck it is that I am supposed to be doing. My company just fired a guy today that they moved out here from Detroit six months ago.  Must be going around.  I'm kind of afraid I'm next on the list.

I inquired about going back to my old job.  Same situation you are in.  The have already backfilled me, and there reqs are full so no dice.  I also lost a great house that I loved in Indy when I moved.  I can only hope this works out.  I am sure things will work out for you to.  I found in my life, that things always happened for a reason, it may not be obvious yet, but I'm sure you will end better off in the long run.

Perhaps some range therapy would do you well in the long run.  I'm confident things will work themselves out.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#48]
hey LT ,i can help you out by "taking in " some of the kids for you.[heavy]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:08:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Hopefully things work out here in TX. I really like it here. However things arent working out fast enough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top