Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2004 5:04:10 PM EDT
Growing up I heard that he fell from a mountain and shattered every bone in his face, and that to this day he won't shave his beard because of it. Is that true?

I also heard that he played a tribute to Waylon during the last awards show. I'm not a big Bocephus fan (other than "Country boy can survive") but he does do some cool stuff.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, the first part is true.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I heard the same story about his face/beard.

www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_g1epc/is_bio/ai_2419201310

he took a vacation in Montana, and suffered a devastating accident: a near-fatal fall down a mountain virtually tore his face off.

After extensive physical therapy and plastic surgery to reconstruct his face, Williams returned to music

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#3]
how many bones are there in your face?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Growing up I heard that he fell from a mountain and shattered every bone in his face, and that to this day he won't shave his beard because of it. Is that true?

I also heard that he played a tribute to Waylon during the last awards show. I'm not a big Bocephus fan (other than "Country boy can survive") but he does do some cool stuff.

He returned to the Grand Ole Opry to pay tribute to his fellow hellraiser Waylon, it was a good show.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#5]
When the doctor asked me, Son how'd you get in this condition. Well it's a family tradition.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#6]
A Country Boy Can Survive.

Hank just don't give a shit what anyone thinks of him, and I admire him for that.

Neither do I, for that matter.

SG
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:20:09 PM EDT
[#7]
You're right, he did mess his face up in a fall.  That is also why her wears sun glasses all the time.  

I remember seeing him in concert in about 1980.  During the concert, someone threw some rocks on the stage.  He stopped the band and asked that whoever did it would they "drag their naked ass up on the stage and see how long they would last with this crowd".  He was so drunk, or something, that he was late getting on the stage and mumbled through everything he did.

I was a youngster during the country "outlaw" days and fondly remember him, Waylon, Willie (he was a little different then than he is now), Johnny Paycheck, etc.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#8]
The beard helps cover up all the scars and he lost an eye and thats why the dark glasses; to cover up a bad eye.   Thats what I've always heard.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I enjoy "In country music, we don't use the F word."  Hilarious.  Also, who remembers "Attitude Adjustment" from the 70's.  Damn fine music.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Hank Jr. was almost always drunk/stoned when he on stage in the 70/80s.

One year when I was in collage Charlie Daniels was doing our home coming concert with Hank Jr. opening for him. Hank came out drunk and proceeded to do every song he knew and would not get off stage for 3 hours. Charlie Daniels was madder than hell.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#11]
A while back I was listening to a 3rd or 4th hand story about Hank Jr getting into trouble with the Corps of Engineers concerning his activities..............seems old Hank has a license for destructive devices and was shooting barges in the Tennessee river with an M203 or an M79..........I dont know if it's true or not, but he is reputed to have quite a collection..........
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#12]
CMT did an "E! True Hollywood Story" on Hank Jr. last year, that show confirmed the story. That is also one of the reasons you hardly see him without his glasses.

Before Bill Ruger passed on, he was good friends with Hank Jr..
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
A while back I was listening to a 3rd or 4th hand story about Hank Jr getting into trouble with the Corps of Engineers concerning his activities..............seems old Hank has a license for destructive devices and was shooting barges in the Tennessee river with an M203 or an M79..........I dont know if it's true or not, but he is reputed to have quite a collection..........

I can assure you, he has LEGAL hardware that would make a tear come to your eye.

That's all that I may say :)

SG

Edited to add Legal.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I can assure you, he has hardware that would make a tear come to your eye.

That's all that I may say :)

SG

Yep.  And he got a good bit of it through a certain shop in Tuscaloosa.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

One year when I was in collage Charlie Daniels was doing our home coming concert with Hank Jr. opening for him. Hank came out drunk and proceeded to do every song he knew and would not get off stage for 3 hours. Charlie Daniels was madder than hell.

In the early 90's too. Kansas City 1992. So drunk he flipped off the crowd and started a riot.

Chance
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the early 90's too. Kansas City 1992. So drunk he flipped off the crowd and started a riot.

Chance

Whats wrong with that?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#17]
It was a date with my wife (then girlfriend) and she didn't find it amusing. For some reason she thought the chiars flying through the air a bit much.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I prefer SR.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd love to visit his ranch and shoot those vintage Sharps rifles he's got. Probably got some good huntin' ground too. Can I git me a huntin' license in Montana?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I guess you didn't see the movie about Hank Jr. and his accident. Ol John Boy from the Waltons play Hank Jr.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:28:38 AM EDT
[#22]
The only person he really cared about how he came across was the Possum ,whom by the way was just as fucked up as Hank!  George Jones And Hank Jr had it the way they wanted it!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:45:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:40:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Naugh it's true John Thomas played Hank Jr in the true story of Hank Williams Jr!!!

It really sucked big time,cause he was about  the size of Aimless,and everybody knows Hank Jr was at least the size of the Hun!!!!

Am I getting real life confused with ARFCOM life?

Bob
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:54:41 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Naugh it's true John Thomas played Hank Jr in the true story of Hank Williams Jr!!!

It really sucked big time,cause he was about  the size of Aimless,and everybody knows Hank Jr was at least the size of the Hun!!!!

Am I getting real life confused with ARFCOM life?

Bob

I believe so.  From the gunstock pics it would appear that the hun is pushing 5'-2" in heels.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:36:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
When the doctor asked me, Son how'd you get in this condition. Well it's a family tradition.

Lordy, I have loved some ladies
and I have loved Jim Beam
and they both tried to kill me
back in 1973.

When that doctor asked me,
"Son, how'd you get in this condition?"
I said, "Hey sawbones, I'm just carryin' on
an old family tradition."
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:15:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I guess you didn't see the movie about Hank Jr. and his accident. Ol John Boy from the Waltons play Hank Jr.

link?

"Living Proof:The Hank Williams Jr. Story" www.imdb.com/title/tt0085857/  Pretty good, especially considering it's a TV movie.  Saw it on cable not too long ago.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:08:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The beard helps cover up all the scars and he lost an eye and thats why the dark glasses; to cover up a bad eye.   Thats what I've always heard.

I didn't know he lost an eye as well. I have an uncle who has a glass eye after falling onto a fence when he was 10. He says the only thing not affected is his shooting (would keep the left eye closed anyway). Everything else can still be a challenge.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:22:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't know he lost an eye as well. I have an uncle who has a glass eye after falling onto a fence when he was 10. He says the only thing not affected is his shooting (would keep the left eye closed anyway). Everything else can still be a challenge.

Don't know if its fact but thats what I've heard.  He even had some of his brains exposed.  The guys lucky to be alive.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:26:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't know if its fact but thats what I've heard.  He even had some of his brains exposed.  The guys lucky to be alive.

Yep, I'd prefer to go my entire life without hearing "brain exposed" in the description of my wound....

He was hiking or something and just stepped off the edge...didn't realize where he was on the outcropping is what they say.  Very lucky to alive and does wear the beard to hide the reconstruction.  

"Family Tradition" is a great song, even though country usually gives me a nosebleed....
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:46:11 AM EDT
[#31]
You learn something new everyday.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top