Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2004 9:56:55 AM EDT
Allright today in my public speaking class we had to give speeches on controversial issues and three people decided to take up the topic of gun control. One person took up the patriot act. The people that talked about gun control generally talked about how guns are evil. Then the person that talked about the patriot act said it was wrong because it violated our constitutional rights (which it might, I am not knowlegable about the patriot act).

This person that talked about the patriot act was wearing a "Minnesotans Against Being Shot " button on her backpack. Minnesotans Against Being Shot is an Anti-Second Amendment group. So I ask this, Why do college students think it is acceptable to violate my gun rights, but then stick up for some illegal aliens rights? It just dont make sense.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#1]
You already answered your own question with the title of your thread.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Not all of us are idiots... why do you lump all college student into the category of being against you??? Obviously their are some people that are on your side when it comes to the issue of gun control... there are college student on this site.

Instead, why don't you ask the question,

"why are some of the people in my college, and in colleges around america, anti-gun?"

A: "Because they most likely have no experience with guns themselves and believe what the media tells them... that guns are the cause of crime. Due to their lack of knowledge of firearms, they are willing to believe whatever the media tells them, and since they have no interest in firearms, they have no reason to question the views the media portray. They don't care about losing their guns right like we do, because they never wanted to exercise those rights anyway.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Minnesotans Against Being Shot, huh?  I should make some buttons that read "Alaskans For Getting Laid"
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#4]
you are in the occupied north, move south
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Minnesotans Against Being Shot, huh?  I should make some buttons that read "Alaskans For Getting Laid"

I should start a Louisiana chapter.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not all of us are idiots... why do you lump all college student into the category of being against you??? Obviously their are some people that are on your side when it comes to the issue of gun control... there are college student on this site.

"why are some of the peole in my college, and in colleges around america, anti-gun?"

A: "Because they most likely have no experience with guns themselves and believe what the media tells them... that guns are the cause of crime. Due to their lack of knowledge of firearms, they are willing to believe whatever the media tells them, and since they have no interest in firearms, they have no reason to question the views the media portrays. They don't care about losing their guns right like we do, because they never wanted to exercise those rights anyway.

sounds like communist talk to me, you gun-hating college student!!

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

"why are some of the peole in my college, and in colleges around america, anti-gun?"

Don't take this the wrong way, and it's completely irrelevant to the subject at hand. But I've noticed that when the first objection to any argument is the charge of "generalization" - the one objecting is usually not very old. Usually a student.

Meaningless, but just something I've noticed over the years.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Wish I knew as much now as when I did when I was a college student! (30 years ago)
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

A: "Because they most likely have no experience with guns themselves and believe what the media tells them... that guns are the cause of crime. Due to their lack of knowledge of firearms, they are willing to believe whatever the media tells them, and since they have no interest in firearms, they have no reason to question the views the media portrays. They don't care about losing their guns right like we do, because they never wanted to exercise those rights anyway.

I am a college student, but i must admit that most of us are pretty stupid.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got a lot of morons in class with me... well, maybe not morons, they are just too idealistic, emotional, impracticle, and ignorant.... then again, maybe they just are morons
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#11]
You just had a sighting of the common Minnesota liberal. There are different variations of this creature. The one you spotted was the well known college hippy type. Others include the geezer democrat who has always voted that way and the typical unioncrat.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Yep, we are!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I should start a Louisiana chapter.hr

I'm in. The majority of college folks tend to be idealistically liberal. It's an age thing. Most wise up and grow out of it. Just hang in there.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Someone once told me "when you're in college, if you're not a liberal, you have no heart. When you're out of college, and you're not a conservative, you have no brain"

I think a lot of these dolts will change as time goes by, I sure as hell did. Man, I used to be a flaming liberal when I started school at Wisconsin. I think I just OD'd on the typical, close-minded liberal bullshit that covers this town. There is still hope for some of them. Just be glad that now, as young college students, they really have little impact on society.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#15]

College students are idiots!

For the most part, yes. Not all of them, however.

I actually used a Glock as a prop for a speech I gave in college.
After class, quite a few fellow students came up to me to ask about the gun. I answered their questions, and took 2 of them shooting a couple of weeks later.

This was in South Dakota though....kids aren't quite so anal there.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Hey, no fair. As we speak, I'm writing an essay about gun control. You can probably guess which side I'm defending.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've got a lot of morons in class with me... well, maybe not morons, they are just too idealistic, emotional, impracticle, and ignorant.... then again, maybe they just are morons

+1000 for all the people I have had class with.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
you are in the occupied north, move south

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm a college student.

I know you didn't mean every single college student out there is an idiot.  The vast majority of people in my school can't quite seem to pry their head out of their ass.

For example, a guy in one of my classes tried to tell me that my folding blade was really a dagger and that it was illegal for me to have it on campus.  Even  when I tried to explain to him that my folding blade can't be a dagger since it has those little thumb grippies, he still told me I was wrong.  He said, "I went to police academy" (didn't say he graduated) and rattled off the section number.  So I went home and looked it up, came to class the next day and told him why it wasn't a dagger.  According to him I was still wrong, since he went to police academy.

Oy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'm a college student.

I know you didn't mean every single college student out there is an idiot.  The vast majority of people in my school can't quite seem to pry their head out of their ass.

For example, a guy in one of my classes tried to tell me that my folding blade was really a dagger and that it was illegal for me to have it on campus.  Even  when I tried to explain to him that my folding blade can't be a dagger since it has those little thumb grippies, he still told me I was wrong. He said, "I went to police academy" (didn't say he graduated) and rattled off the section number.  So I went home and looked it up, came to class the next day and told him why it wasn't a dagger.  According to him I was still wrong, since he went to police academy.

Oy.

The movie? That might explain it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm a college student.

For example, a guy in one of my classes tried to tell me that my folding blade was really a dagger and that it was illegal for me to have it on campus.  Even  when I tried to explain to him that my folding blade can't be a dagger since it has those little thumb grippies, he still told me I was wrong. He said, "I went to police academy" (didn't say he graduated) and rattled off the section number.  So I went home and looked it up, came to class the next day and told him why it wasn't a dagger.  According to him I was still wrong, since he went to police academy.

Oy.

The movie? That might explain it.

LOL...maybe.  Like he'd admit to it.

"I'm not wrong, I went to police academy!"
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm in college now.

Most college students are idiots.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#23]
same here. Though, being in Texas, only about half the students are idiots.

Alot of the rest are out of staters.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
same here. Though, being in Texas, only about half the students are idiots.

Alot of the rest are out of staters.

"Boy, I do believe you just messed with Texas."

- BG
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#25]
"Minnesotans Against Being Shot"

How is it that a group with a name like that are gun grabbers?  If I lived in Minnesota and didn't want to get shot, I would carry a gun.  

"Do unto others before they do in you".
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#26]
I too have noticed that most college students are dumb asses. However even with all the anti-gun liberal bull shit that is going on around this country I get to bring my Glock and M4 (Ceiner 22lr) on campus once a week to go shooting.

Jerad
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Im not in college, one reason is I have a low tolerance for stupid people
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Most of us are pretty dumb(college students that is). Sometimes I think that since most high and college teachers/professors are liberals, that they just rub off on students very easily.  Plus... now that we can vote, must of us find we need to form opinions. Last time I wore my Springfield Armory T-shirt to class, I was told I was a redneck I told her she was a hippy, she said "wow like that offends me, I'm very opened minded" I said, yeah and like you hurt my feelings bitch? She scoffed at me, I informed her of her right to shove moss  up her ass
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I hate college. The libs and academic lifers have ruined it. I just want to get on with my life. College has not taught me ONE thing, other that to ignore biased profs...
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#30]
on monday i'm giving a speech on how guns can reduce crime.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#31]
i'm im college
i'm NOT a dumb-A!

i got several guns; i support all legal gun ownership

most of the folks i know have or support gun ownership

where the hell do YOU live??--the wrong place; move south, but not to MS--its getting rough
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes they are idiots.  I live in a small university town.  Most of the students come from the Chicago suburbs.  They think they own the town...rude, spoiled, totally self absorbed.  I can't tell you how many times i have heard, "This town sucks."  I have to admit when I was in college  (the same college) I kinda went along with that.  But I think I must be getting old.  Now every time I hear that I want to kick them in the teeth or ask, "Why didn't you go to school in Chicago?  Didn't have the grades, money...what...?  If you don't like this town ...Get the fuck out."  And every time one of them steps in front of my car to cross the street (which they will do at their whim)  it takes all of my will to hit my brakes.  Sometimes I may come a little close to them...Whoops.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
So I ask this, Why do college students think it is acceptable to violate my gun rights, but then stick up for some illegal aliens rights? It just dont make sense.

Consider that as the topic of your next speach.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
i'm im college
i'm NOT a dumb-A!

i got several guns; i support all legal gun ownership

most of the folks i know have or support gun ownership

where the hell do YOU live??--the wrong place; move south, but not to MS--its getting rough

They don't teach capitalization or punctuation at your school?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:49:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Don't take this the wrong way, and it's completely irrelevant to the subject at hand. But I've noticed that when the first objection to any argument is the charge of "generalization" - the one objecting is usually not very old. Usually a student.

Meaningless, but just something I've noticed over the years.

I object: I'm a full-time college-student on the GI Bill, served in the first Gulf War, and am in NO WAY an idiot.  I'm a father of two, married, and former Software Engineer that was laid off from H-P and is now working towards a law degree.  Oh... and edited to add that I'm 37, which is a bit far from "not very old."

Seems to me that someone ELSE was making a generalization.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:53:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Lots of Stupid liberals at colleges across the nation. twice this week i had to kick Kerry supporters of my pourch when the were trying to fill our mailboxes with brouchures and shit and when i came out he started preaching to me about why bush sucks.  foutnunatly all 7 of my roomates are pretty to Very conservative(me).
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:56:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Allright today in my public speaking class we had to give speeches on controversial issues and three people decided to take up the topic of gun control. One person took up the patriot act. The people that talked about gun control generally talked about how guns are evil. Then the person that talked about the patriot act said it was wrong because it violated our constitutional rights (which it might, I am not knowlegable about the patriot act).

This person that talked about the patriot act was wearing a "Minnesotans Against Being Shot " button on her backpack. Minnesotans Against Being Shot is an Anti-Second Amendment group. So I ask this, Why do college students think it is acceptable to violate my gun rights, but then stick up for some illegal aliens rights? It just dont make sense.

These people are my peers
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:59:57 PM EDT
[#38]
mrphelps, where in IA are you?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

....And being from Alaska.... you got about as much chance of getting laid as the Minnesota las has of getting shot! LOL. ....
But, it sounds like a good idea...
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I'll join!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#41]
God........I hope that I was never that stupid. But then I can remember doing things that make me cringe, enev now.
Stupid is, as Stupid Does
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top