Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 3:26:57 PM EDT
OK, before you start laughing I never really had to clean a rifle before. Cleaned many handguns though. Most of the rifles I shot owned by friends. The only rifle owned until recently was BB gun and an AK47 that I never cleaned once (I wanted to see how long it would go). But, I bought a nice Rem 700 BDL and a barrel cleaning rod for ".30 caliber" rifles.  When I put a patch in the loop and tried to get it through the barrel (from the breech end) it was impossible. I could stick the rod through the barrel then attach the loop and pull it through but could never clean it from the breach end like I do with my handguns. WTF am I doing wrong?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Try removing the bolt first.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#2]
The patch is extending itself beyond the 'skinny' part of the loop fitting.  Thus it's getting between the thicker diameter part and the barrel.  This is why it works pulling it instead of pushing.  There's nothing for it to be wedged against while pulling.  Use a patch that doesn't fit beyond the skinny part.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Your patch is too large.  Try trimming it down a little.

I prefer brass jags to patch pullers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#4]
remove the bolt

there is a small catch near the trigger
push in (or slide) and pull on the bolt it should slip out

look in your manual
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The patch is extending itself beyond the 'skinny' part of the loop fitting.  Thus it's getting between the thicker diameter part and the barrel.  This is why it works pulling it instead of pushing.  There's nothing for it to be wedged against while pulling.  Use a patch that doesn't fit beyond the skinny part.

good call, that looks like it was the problem. I was using the patches I use for my handguns, is there a different type I should use for this rifle?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Your patch is too large.  Try trimming it down a little.

I prefer brass jags to patch pullers.

Big +1. Bought a complete set of jags 2 years back and it is the only way to do it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Just smaller patch.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#8]
The first time is always the most difficult.  Promise to marry her and be gentle.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

No, the first step is MAKE SURE THE WEAPON IS UNLOADED.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

good call, that looks like it was the problem. I was using the patches I use for my handguns, is there a different type I should use for this rifle?

Use 1 3/4" patchs. They fit nice and snug on my .308.  And as mentioned, use a jag instead. It hugs the bore better and there's more patch making contact.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I thought you were supposed to leave the bolt in and fill the barrel with CLP for a while.

No?

Oops.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought you were supposed to leave the bolt in and fill the barrel with CLP for a while.

No?

Oops.

Is there anything harmful in CLP? I know leaving any ammonia based bore cleaner in too long is bad ju-ju
(Sweets 7.62 is some nasty smelling stuff).

For a good barrel cleaning I'll use Sweets, dry patch, a spritz of brake cleaner, dry patch, CLP, dry patch.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:29:49 AM EDT
[#13]
*#!"%@  Genius
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:39:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Bore Snake
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:45:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Bore Snake

Great to use before you actually clean your barrel!  

I concur with the above.  Take the bolt out, use a jag, instead of the loopy thing.  If you get a jag, and try to push a patch through the bore with it, and it's just too tight to go through, get a sligthly smaller jag.   (I.E., if you try a .30 cal jag, and it's tight, find a .270/.280 size jag and try that)

Or you can do something that's a little sloppier.  Use a brush to push a patch through.  The brush has some give and should allow you to get a patch through.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:52:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:05:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Is there anything harmful in CLP?

PTFE:
The jury is still out on that one.  Allot of competition shooters will not put CLP in their bore.  Personally, I think its all superstition. The conditions are not there to break down the PTFE and it has great thermal characteristics.

What good could be done by filling a bore with CLP and leaving it in?

BTW: Do not use ammonia based Cu solvents on SS barrels!

I use cheap ole WD-40 to flush the bore ofter using any solvents unless I know that it will be sitting awhile unused and I'll opt for some corrosion inhibiting lube.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top