Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 12:14:22 PM EDT
We all know about stupid gun errors on TV shows and in movies like sound of brass hitting the ground from a revolver, or guys racking an automatic pistol over and over.  But I have also noticed stupid errors on computers:

- when displaying text, computers make beeping noises
- you can easily hack into computers by typing in random passwords, as if everybody have "1-2-3" for password (cue Spaceball joke)
- special effect on computer graphic when looking at map.  You know, those circles ringing out of the spot they are looking for.  Somehow MapQuest and Yahoo Map never have this technology.

and that's just from one episode of CSI.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
We all know about stupid gun errors on TV shows and in movies like sound of brass hitting the ground from a revolver, or guys racking an automatic pistol over and over.  But I have also noticed stupid errors on computers:

- you can easily hack into computers by typing in random passwords, as if everybody have "1-2-3" for password (cue Spaceball joke)
- special effect on computer graphic when looking at map.  You know, those circles ringing out of the spot they are looking for.  Somehow MapQuest and Yahoo Map never have this technology.

My family won't even watch tv or movies with me if they involve computers in any way. I just yell at the TV alot.

On the other had, anybody remember Trinity using nmap in the Matrix? As I recall, she did it right. Neato. I was stunned in the theater.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

sounds like your guns AND computers are all broken...send them to me for safe disposal immediately
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Ah yes, the joys of MovieOS (tm)

Edit:  I kant spel
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I love how they can take any image, zoom in 1,000 times and then instead of ending up with just one big pixle they reslove the image into perfect detail.  Or how they can tap into any of survellence camera and rotate the image.  Or how they can hack into a government computer, upload an image and have it scan the database for an exact match which not only shows the photo but has the persons name, address, DOB, SSN, drivers license number, and entire life's history including where they have lived, where they have worked, who they hang out with, and even as much detail as who their childhood friends were.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#7]
It seems like everyone types like hell on computers in movies but never use a mouse.  I do just the opposite as do most people, I think, unless you're doing a lot of text-based work.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I like when they use powerbooks to 'hack into' alien computer networks, and cause much hilarity.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I love it when they do a database search and the computer flashes:

SEARCHING DATABASE
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:54:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I've never used a computer.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I love how quickly things load.  Yeah, I have DSL, but it doesn't move lightning-fast like it does in movies.

When someone's hacking into a database and they type in an incorrect password, it flashed ACCESS DENIED in bright red letters with that beeping sound.

There's nothing ever on the desktop except what the character needs to access...they never have to search.  Yeah, right.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#12]
And the computers are always named HAL. ANd they always sing Daisy when you remove their memory chips.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#13]
The best is when someone is hacking, and the screen shows a graphical dungeon that the person is moving through. Or the 5 computer hacking in swordfish.
tony
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:20:26 PM EDT
[#14]
"Hackers"

best use of worst errors in computers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#15]
whoops double post
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
"Hackers"

I agree

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
"Hackers"

I agree

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:27:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Someone should purposely make a move with like...no plot and goes around purposely making fun of those things in the movie...sort of Monty-Pyhton style...
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:35:44 PM EDT
[#19]
My favorite one is in "True Lies" when Harry starts the Arabs machine during the party.

It CLEARY shows a Windows 3.x startup screen but the sound is the Apple Mac "bong".

I think I was the ONLY person to catch that and start laughing my ass off in the theater when it happened.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:40:39 PM EDT
[#20]
?I cont bring myself to watch many shows of movies for reasons like that
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:14:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:34:48 AM EDT
[#22]
How about when the computer gets a virus, the monitor blows up or the motherboard starts smoking.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:37:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

This is why everything you learned at the movies is WRONG.  Guns, cars, computers, physics, the law, forensics, courtroom activity, and so on, is ALL WRONG.  Oh, and let's not forget Navy SEALs...

-Troy

I know some people you should not tell that to.  It will cause thier world to fall apart.  TV is real to them and if its on TV its true.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:40:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Oh, and let's not forget Navy SEALs...

-Troy

But, but, Chuck Pfarer wrote that, and he was a SEAL!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:08:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Not computer-related, but I was watching U-571 last night, and continued to laugh at a few favorite gaffes:

When the American guys are desperately trying to get the U-Boat submerged, McCoughnehy's (sp?) character is spinning the MBT valves one way. The scene changes, and he's spinning them the OTHER way. The scene changes again and hes going the ORIGINAL way again.....

The second is that everyone is speaking in normal tones after a prolonged gun battle with automatic weapons inside a U-Boat, but in the next scene McCoughnehy BELOWS helm orders at the top of his lungs while standing about a foot behind the helmsman....

I'm sure there are others, but I went to sleep then....
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:09:36 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh, and let's not forget Navy SEALs...

-Troy

But, but, Chuck Pfarer wrote that, and he was a SEAL!

Aside from the thermal sight that looks through stone and the hyper-velocity, rock-penetrating .50BMG, what else was wrong with it?

It's been a while.....
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:36:33 AM EDT
[#27]
If even half the police departments had 1/10 the resources and sophisticated equipment  that CSI has crime would be non-existent
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:39:51 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If even half the police departments had 1/10 the resources and sophisticated equipment  that CSI has crime would be non-existent

Someone I knew who thought CSI was real had thier car (87 Cutalss Ciera) stolen.
They were upset when they got it back with $100 bill for the tow.  They expected CSI to look over it and hunt down the people like on TV.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:32:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Anyone ever figure out what those flashing square lights are on every computer mainframe?

and the next time I hear someone manually cocking a glock I'm going to scream!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top