Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 12:56:56 AM EDT
Now I know that EVERYTHING in our past builds us up to be the the person we are now. But you all know that if you could hit rewind and make that turn that you didnt, ask that girl out that you wanted to, buy that car (Or not buy that car you wanted)
Would you??

There is ONE incident in my life I cant seem to shake off. happened about 18 years ago. I think about it at least once a week. not as bad as I used to. One of my best friends killed himself. Man there were times I wish he were here. one of the best friends anyone could ask for. Although I learned to value friendships more. and not take people for granted.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:58:13 AM EDT
[#1]
i probably would have studied something besides engineering in college.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:03:53 AM EDT
[#2]
not fucked things up with an ex

its been 5 fucking years now and I STILL miss her.  Yeah, I've been there, done that with other women since her, but she's the only one I miss.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:07:05 AM EDT
[#3]
There are many things in your life that you CAN change .
The past isn't one of them .
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:12:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I would have stayed in College...

Any youngsters out there... Go to, or stay in school....

In the long run, you'll be further ahead.

JMHO...
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:13:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

No Shit? I guess that is why I call this one of those "Hypothetical" situations.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:17:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I would have stayed single, and avoided the joys of divorce. Gone to college out of high school or at least right after I got out of the Army; in stead of trying to go back at 40 years of age.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:17:18 AM EDT
[#7]
One truly fucked up thing I unfortunately had no control over is constantly at the top of my list.

An ex girlfriend had an abortion while I was out of town.
The conversation in which she told me about it was the last time I spoke with her for ten years.
I couldnt even react I just got up and left and stopped answering her calls.
That will never be forgiven.
I spoke with her recently but it still haunts me every damn day.
The constant what if.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:29:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No Shit? I guess that is why I call this one of those "Hypothetical" situations.

I understood the question . Everyone has something that they would change in the past .

I just know too many people that live their lives feeling sorry for themselves
because they would rather blame the past then live in the present and take steps
to guide their future .  So I react negatively when I hear someone bring it up .

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:31:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Where do I start?....
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:34:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:13:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understood the question . Everyone has something that they would change in the past .

because they would rather blame the past then live in the present and take steps
to guide their future .  So I react negatively when I hear someone bring it up .

Yep, for many of the sad-sacks whatever this past mistake is becomes a reason for their current failures, or current unhapiness.  You miss your ex?  Guess what, she would have fucked the mailman anyway.  You didn't go to college?  It is, quite literally, never too late.  Let a relative die without spending more time with them?  Make sure it doesn't happen again with the relatives that are still here.

Learn from your mistakes, cry about them when you're drunk if you want, but if you don't or can't move the fuck on you might as well take the toaster in the tub with you.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:16:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, for many of the sad-sacks whatever this past mistake is becomes a reason for their current failures, or current unhapiness.  You miss your ex?  Guess what, she would have fucked the mailman anyway.  You didn't go to college?  It is, quite literally, never too late.  Let a relative die without spending more time with them?  Make sure it doesn't happen again with the relatives that are still here.

Learn from your mistakes, cry about them when you're drunk if you want, but if you don't or can't move the fuck on you might as well take the toaster in the tub with you.

Fuck you too

Yeah, I miss one of my ex's.  Doesn't mean I didn't learn from that mistake.  In fact, I learned a LOT from it.  Am I making excuses for things now?  hell no.  Seems you're reading a whole shitton more into this than there was.

ETA it sounds like a couple people here have a lot they'd like to change, but instead of dealing with it, they just have to start bitching at people.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:43:07 AM EDT
[#13]
(1) drug use

I pissed away a few years, that in retrospect, I should have applied better judgement to

I have long since (20+ yrs) ditched the bad habits (xcept some legal ones) but if I could teach a youngster anything today that would change their life for the better, it would be to stay the F..k away from illegal drug use.

All the other bad things I would change, would not have happened if I had changed #1

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:57:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, I would go back a couple years, and tell myself not to trade in my truck.  I almost had it paid off.  I'd be MUCH better off financially if I had just paid it off.  Then I could have saved, and bought a project/dream car... a 1974 or 75 Porsche 911.  

I'd also have more money for hobbies.  (More guns.. more ammo... more toys..)  and maybe even be closer to buying a house.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:00:28 AM EDT
[#15]
To have full range of movement out of my right elbow.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:01:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I dont know where I would really start
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:06:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
(1) drug use

I pissed away a few years, that in retrospect, I should have applied better judgement to

I have long since (20+ yrs) ditched the bad habits (xcept some legal ones) but if I could teach a youngster anything today that would change their life for the better, it would be to stay the F..k away from illegal drug use.

All the other bad things I would change, would not have happened if I had changed #1

That's actually something I wouldn't change.  I messed with lots of drugs in high school, but still managed to pull myself together and (barely) get into college.  When I got there it was clear that it was the first bit of freedom that alot of these kids ever had, and I watched tons of them smoke, snort, and drink their way right out of school.  Now if you were one of those kids I could see regretting it, but as I always say it's never too late to get your shit together.  I actually think that my wild youth helps me in both my private and professional life.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:08:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Fuck you too
Yeah, I miss one of my ex's.  Doesn't mean I didn't learn from that mistake.  In fact, I learned a LOT from it.  Am I making excuses for things now?  hell no.  Seems you're reading a whole shitton more into this than there was.
ETA it sounds like a couple people here have a lot they'd like to change, but instead of dealing with it, they just have to start bitching at people.

If you don't see yourself in my post, what are you getting so pissy about?  I said that theres a difference between learning from your mistakes and obsessing over them.  Only you know which you are, but I can take a guess.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:18:58 AM EDT
[#19]
No regrets, no do-overs. Sure, there are things that I could have done differently in the past, but who's to say that those different things in the past would have given me a better present?

If there were anything in the past that I HAD to do differently, it would have been to pay closer attention - to everything.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:19:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I wish I bought  tech stocks real low and sold them real high
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:24:53 AM EDT
[#21]
One of the things I like about the band Bad Religion is that they pretty much try and end their albums with an up beat, philosophically positive song - this song is usually preceded by 12 to 14 songs condeming and bemoaning religion, politicians, and relationships:

Lines like:  
"The road is narrow, the horizon wide
And to say what’s waiting on the other side
Is so rewarding and the ultimate prize
But what good is something if you can’t have it until you die?

Would you give it all up to live again?”

Or,

“Yeah, tell me, can you imagine, for a second,
Doing anything just cause you want to?
Well, that's just what I do.

So hooray for me . . . and fuck you!”

And the there’s:

“I'm not too good at giving morals
And I don't fear the consequence
If life makes you scared and bitter
At least it's not for very long

Slumber will come soon.”

We all make mistakes, the ones we don’t learn from or make peace with are called nagging regrets.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:42:19 AM EDT
[#22]
I should have gone to Rhodesia in 1976 instead of marrying a druggie.   Maybe I would have gotten killed over there, but it would have been in a good cause.

However,  there is NOTHING in this world worth giving up being Dad to Lil Ops.  

There are a number of screwed up things in my life.  The causes are history now, and I cannot change that.  All that I can do now is suck it up, and drive on.   Ops
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:45:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:47:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I would have joined the military at an earlier age. That's the biggie. A couple of little stuff, but they're small potatoes compared to that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:31:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Stayed at my first choice of college, even though I couldnt afford it.  My life has sucked ever since I comprimised and settled for the shit local college.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Pay more attention in school and put more emphasis on studying.  I spent most of my time in the woods or around ponds.  Not a bad thing, but I neglected school to do the fun stuff.  Now I wish I hadn't.  Oh well, life goes on.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Wouldn't have quit playing baseball in college. Couldn't work and play ball, not enough time. So I worked to have beer money.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Think about making today right.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Wouldn't have stood Amy up on that friday night in February 1994.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:49:06 AM EDT
[#30]
After my dad died, I blew all the life insurance and then some in the stock market...got in just in time to go down with the ship.  Instead of paying off the house, and setting myself up for life, I got greedy.  Made $40,000 in one DAY, then lost $80,000 two days later.   I disregarded the good Lord's hit upside the head with a 2x4, and stayed in the game.  

Financially, I've fu**ed myself up bigtime.  It's not a disaster, I still have the house, which is going up in value about $6000 a month.  I figure I'll be able to stay here another year before the property taxes, the utilities, and my 1 month ARM force me out.  Then I've got some real life altering stuff to go through.  Kinda scary at my age.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:56:15 AM EDT
[#31]
I would not have bought the Acura legend at 23% interest when I was 18 against my fathers not very pressing argument against it. Damn them (parents) for not not teaching me more about money and finances.

If it's the one thing I have learned that I am teaching my kids its the importance of saving for a rainy day, being thrifty to a point, investing wisely, avoiding debt. Financial trouble can lead to so many other potential regrets and problems later in life.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Never would have married my ex.  

Sorry I didn't become rich and famous.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Well, I would go back a couple years, and tell myself not to trade in my truck.  I almost had it paid off.  I'd be MUCH better off financially if I had just paid it off.  Then I could have saved, and bought a project/dream car... a 1974 or 75 Porsche 911.  

I'd also have more money for hobbies.  (More guns.. more ammo... more toys..)  and maybe even be closer to buying a house.  

+1 on this one.  Some folks live in debt their whole lives and wouldn't know how to function without  a car payment.  It truly holds you back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top