Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/19/2004 10:31:07 PM EDT
One of my buddies is back for 2 weeks after being gone for 18 months in Iraq. He will be heading back for at least another year. I was wanting to get him something to take back over there. Something cool that he could use and something that he couldnt get over there. Any ideas?

I told him about the video that was posted on here showing the Iraqi getting shot in the arm and then the head in the street. He said his unit was the one firing at him. He confirmed it was a 5.56 round that hit him. I also told him about the rifle AR15.com bought for the wounded soldier. He thought that was pretty cool. He had lots of stories as I'm sure all of them have. Hope he returns safe.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#1]
pie
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
pie

+1

If there was free pie I would go for sure.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#3]
ACOG?  EOTech?  Aimpoint?  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:37:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Hookers and Blow.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Camelspider killer.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#6]
40 megawatt plasma rifle?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Seriously guys. I want to get him something. He has a red dot over there. He also said now that he is home, no fat girls are safe!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:54:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Jesus fuck, you hyenas...give the man some answers.  

With everyone here not knowing the guy or anything about him, you're best bet might be to ask your friend or maybe other guys in his unit/friends/maybe even family if it's supposed to be a surprise.  That said, probably can't go wrong with the small comfort-type things that you'd normally take for granted.  Little "touches of home" type things, if you follow.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:55:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Camelspider killer.

+10000000000

I hate those fucking things
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#10]

This of course

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Lots of toiletries, and then mail it to him so he doesn't have to lug it back on the plane.  We did that for some guys from my work that are over there. Shaving creme and disposable razors were a big hit, as was clean hand towels, baby wipes and deoderant. Maybe throw in some reading material like SGN, comic books and some novels.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, everybody over here has DVD players, so if you can burn a few off and mail them... that would be a plus.  Powered speakers if you know the dude has a CD player or DVD player.  Regular run-of-the-mill stuff like a calling card or some hard candy is always welcome.  Gatorade powder is cool, we always have plenty of water, some of it's even cold if you can wangle some ice out of a chow hall.  My guys have some hair clippers on the way because the damned 'rakee barbers all quit.  They kept getting threatened, so they all left the FOB one day and never came back.  Umm, sunglasses, good American coffee (my gal sends me Starbucks pre-ground), stuff like that....

If you think you might miss it if you were gone away, send it.  Even if you know the dude can get it somewhere else, send it anyway.  The thought REALLY DOES COUNT.  Knowing that you have someone at the other side of the planet that cares if you go home on a plane in a seat rather than a box makes a fucking world of difference to a dude sitting on a FOB wearing full battle rattle wondering if what he's doing fucking counts.  By the way, if you send something to the guy and he sees that you really are willing to send stuff, he'll think that you really will, THEN he'll start telling you what he needs.  

Pride is mostly what these guys have, and not much else, so they're not usually gonna swallow it and ask a stranger what they want or need.

If all else fails, write.  Mail is the shit.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:25:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Being an ex grunt from a desert unit, I have a firsthand knowledge of what is desired. Copenhagen/Skoal, Cigarettes and candy. Powder Gatorade mix for sure and if you don't mind spending a little money, knives are good. Folding knives or the Gerber/Leatherman style tools are very nice.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:34:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
knives are good.

Strider.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:23:54 AM EDT
[#15]
having general order 1 repealed hug.gif
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:25:23 AM EDT
[#16]
my IDF friend is DYING for hoppes.  He says it hands down destroys the shemen neshek ('gun oil') they give out in spray form.  I send him quarts whenever I can.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:37:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This of course

img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/troy1/gc123.jpg

we need a group buy on this, for the good of ALL Americans!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:39:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Maybe a iPod or something along that line, music, magazines (the type you read, maybe a good book) and all the junk food and boogie you can send him. Think about what might make his day to day life a little easier, boresnakes, CLP, tobacco products.

get as many people you can to right him, that is very important when you are away, it can really help put you in a good mood, send pictures and stuff. You just wanna show how proud you are of your friend and how you respect what he is doing, it really helps.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:54:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:03:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:08:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Canned smoked oysters seem to be universally popular.  Good chew and books, magazines and DVDs.  Also toiletries since the PX can be some distance away and require riding a convoy both ways to make those purchases.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:20:20 AM EDT
[#22]

AAAHHH!   ITS A GIANT MUTANT KERRYCLONE!!!!

RUNNNN!!!!  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:29:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Fresh snuff!!! Find the freshest stuff you can and put it in a big freezer bag and send it. The crap you get over there if you can is dry as dust. If he doesn't chew he can trade for it. My brother sent me 4 rolls 2 weeks before I came back, I made some good money. Knives are always good. Power bars, they don't melt like chocolate. Any non perishable food in a can that you don't have to cook or add ingredients. An extra Camelbak bladder with extra bite valve and the new covers that keep the crud off your bite valve. Camelbak cleaning kit. O.T.I.S. cleaning kit. LED keychain lights, get the kind that have a metal clip so he can clip it on the top button hole of his BDU top. LED head lamps. Batteries, mole skin, superglue, JB quick weld, good socks, Kevlar insole(expensive but can save his foot), deck of cards. Hagi rag,

Tell him thank you for me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:31:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
pie

+10

GMTA
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:36:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I sat next to a SSGT on his way home from Baghdad on 2 weeks R&R. I asked him that very question - what one thing would you ask for. He thought for a minute and said, "Spaghetti Sauce". Either home made or in a jar, but that's the one thing he said he wanted. I asked him about his weapons, armor, etc. and he said nope. Spaghetti Sauce.

Dave in Henderson
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:40:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

you mean Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 watt range?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:49:36 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you mean Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 watt range?

oh NO!

not four pages of
40 megawatt vs 40 watt
or Phased Plasma vs plasma.

ceramic knife sharpeners.  get the pocket sized ones.
"Da bomb" hot sauce.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Baby wipes...if you can believe that. You wouldn't beleive how the guys use these things for quick cleanups when a shower is scarce.

Toiletries are the last thing on the supply chain from what I hear from relatives in the sand box.

Someone else said to mail it over so they don't have to carry it and I second that.

Hard candy is a big hit, not so much chocolate (as it tends to melt quickly).

Signed

Kurt "Shoulda run a PX" Austin
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#30]
1 week leave in Bankok or Manila
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#31]
this might sound kind of lame...but does he like a good book?  

My wife and I have a monster library of Books on tape from Audible.  Some are really great , some are really funny, some are pretty lame.   I would be happy to send you a couple really long ones on if you can wait till right after November 1st. (I am traveling till the 28th.) NO charge.

Does he have a good CD player?  Lots of batteries (Maybe some lithium batteries and a chager).  These are something to help pass the time, Can be interesting and can be shared with others.

Also - don't know if he could take it with him- but if he has any interest - Buy him a affordable Guitar and a hard case with a few extra sets of stings.  Then go on the web to any good tablature site and get a bunch of songs.  He'd be a wiz in no time.   My 14 year old spends hours practicing and loves it.  I got him a nice accoustic about 3 years ago for about $ 100.00

good luck

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Here is something I got for myself and have reccomended to a few buddies who also now have them and love them.

Rayovac IC3 battery charger and batteries.  The IC3 rocks because it gives 4 AA batteries (must me IC3 brand) a full charge in 15 MINUTES!!!

Every damm thing runs on AA's.. ahvinga 15 minute charger makes life sooooooo much simpler in that regard.

Also a quality (digital readout) shortwave radio and a copy of "Passport to World Band Radio"
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#33]
We are going to adopt one or more soldiers for Christmas.   Someone will know the website, it is being done by the same woman that started OperationAC.com......or something like that.   One thing those guys realy want is good boots.  Evidently the govt. doesn't supply our fighting patriots with shoes!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Can I send off a check to someone to buy some stuff for troops?

Would really like to send off a care-package, but I'm not great at organization. So, if anyone can use some money for the next time they send one off, lemme know.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Strum - I'm sure you can do something like that at the website I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:50:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Real milk.

You guys getting that "shelf-stable" stuff over there?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Real milk.

Parmalat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that stuff aint half bad
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Wet wipes and bug repellant
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Real milk.

that stuff aint half bad

it aint half good either
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#41]
The website is www.operationac.com .  Adopt a Soldier is on the upper right.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#42]
A reliable M4 upper if he don't have one!!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#43]
This is not a specific answer to the question asked but a general response for all who asked what they could do.

www.operationac.com/dw_pages/itemsneed.htm

One additional note: there are women over there in the fight, they also require
[clear throat] eh hum.... feminine items as well.

I am filling out the form to adopt a solder as soon at this post is left.  Click on the link at the upper right on the home page:

www.operationac.com/
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Real milk.

that stuff aint half bad

it aint half good either

LOL

The optomist says the glass is half full
The pessimist says the glass is half empty

The engineer says the glass is too big..........
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:05:49 AM EDT
[#45]
That's one thing I forgot to mention. The GI desert boots suck. I've never been to Iraq but I've been in Kuwait and my boots were almost shot after a month and a half. Most guys get 3-4 months out of them before the tread is completely gone and the sole starts to fall off.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:38:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Real milk.

that stuff aint half bad

it aint half good either

its that haji parmalat.  its nasty so I have taken up tea drinking with my breakfast instead of milk.  if i drink another one of those milks i will puke.  the chocolate wasnt bad but i havent seen that for a month

Do they a least have it chilled for you or do you have to drink it warm?

It is best to just ween yourself off milk, though.  Tea should work.  Learn to adapt to local food and drink and any stay overseas is easier and less frustrating.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#49]
I have sent over American-made Parmalat chocoloate milk in care packages, as well as canned table cream.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Real milk.

Parmalat and Danoor suck ass!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top