Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2004 6:15:33 PM EDT
I haven't wore a seatbelt but mabey 50 times in 30+ years, and that was only to avoid a ticket
in a ticket rich environment .

The point being, can you really change your fate by conforming to all these little safety measures
we practice every day?

I was privileged enough when I was young to have my life "risked" by my dads "crazy"
decisions to let me ride in the back of a pickup truck. Good times and I survived it.

When do you sacrifice a life experience for a percieved safety?

When I grew up, if it didn't kill you then it made you stronger.

And my ass was saved by God many,many times.

Amen

GM

I  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm saved, but I don't play Russian Roulette. God expects you to exercise wisdom.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I always wear a seatbelt. I believe that God watches out for me also.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I wear a seatbelt every time I ride in a car. I got into the habit early. Seatbelt goes on before the keys hit the ignition.

Just like I check the chamber each time pick up one of my firearms. Don't even think about it anymore.

If a "life experience" involves a head through a windshield, or a negligent discharge, I'll skip it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Always wear it unless I'm driving down a path slowy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I put on my seatbelt every time I get in the truck. It's a law here in Virginia, but even if it was not the law I'd still wear a seatbelt.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I appreciate the seat belt wearers, but the first cars I drove did'nt even come
with them.I have it drilled in all four kids that I raised to not even think about driving
a vehical without buckleing up.

But my larger point being was, when do you ignore safety for life experiences?

GM

eta (sp)
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I try not to exercise the priviledge too much - I wear helmets, seatbelts, etc...
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#8]
God is my passenger / co-pilot.  Safety is my seatbelt.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#9]
"Don't tempt the Lord, thy God."
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I haven't wore a seatbelt but mabey 50 times in 30+ years, and that was only to avoid a ticket

The point being, can you really change your fate by conforming to all these little safety measures
we practice every day?

I was privileged enough when I was young to have my life "risked" by my dads "crazy"
decisions to let me ride in the back of a pickup truck. Good times and I survived it.

You're crazy...  A seatbelt is the sole reason my face is a pretty as it is now .  I was a front seat passenger in a car the went off the road and went into some small trees.  I had a red stripe across my chest where the belt grabbed.  I'll take that rather than a windsheld/dashboard snack any day...

If failing to wear your seatbelt provides you a thrill worthy of calling life experience, your life is BORING....  A seat belt is a no brainer.  It pays big rewards while costing very little to use.  

Have you ever wondered why racecar drivers wear theirs?  Something tells me the NASCAR boys have faith in god, but know that the belts and harnesses they wear are indespensable.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#11]

I've never been in the military but I think I can say that if any grunt going to the front line ever said, "No thanks sarge, God is my helmet and my body armor and none of those things can change fate" I think they'd be rightly kicked upside the head for being so stupid.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've never been in the military but I think I can say that if any grunt going to the front line ever said, "No thanks sarge, God is my helmet and my body armor and none of those things can change fate" I think they'd be rightly kicked upside the head for being so stupid.

I was in the military and in combat and I can say that I'd do some of the kicking.  

"There are no atheists in the foxhole."  But good shot grouping is helpful.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I really appreciate the responses so far. But I was brought up that it was the
quality of the life you live not the longevity.

GM
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

GM

Who said they were mutually exclusive?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Then you were brought up stupidly.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GM

Who said they were mutually exclusive?

Nobody , but my Irish father

We are just a tad crazy

I can totally agree with you guys, if it wasn't for my up bringing.

God made whiskey so the Irish would'nt take over the world

GM

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#17]
If God is your seat belt, then why wouldn't he save you if you put 5 in a wheel gun, spun it and pulled the trigger?  Since God's going to save you, why not go for it?

Nope, sorry, your argument doesn't hold water.  God gave man enough common sense to prevent him from doing stupid things.  Not wearing a seat belt actually insults God by saying you don't appreciate the gift of life enough to protect it yourself.

Consider yourself lucky, not blessed.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#18]
It's like enjoying new PIE without a condom.  I wouldn't chance it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If God is your seat belt, then why wouldn't he save you if you put 5 in a wheel gun, spun it and pulled the trigger?  Since God's going to save you, why not go for it?

Nope, sorry, your argument doesn't hold water.  God gave man enough common sense to prevent him from doing stupid things.  Not wearing a seat belt actually insults God by saying you don't appreciate the gift of life enough to protect it yourself.

Consider yourself lucky, not blessed.

I was expecting this response much earlier in this post. I feel blessed that the Lord has
mercy on my ignorant sole

GM.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I grew up in simpler times as well.  A ride in the back of a pickup to the swimming hole is a memory that will never go away.  As well as laying around in the back of the station wagon looking up at the sky while dad was driving down the freeway.

I don't know if we've grown more paranoid, or just more safe.

Now I just ride a dirtbike!  Even with helmet, boots and gear, it feels like you're taking it into your own and Gods hands.

Today I consider it foolish not having a seatbelt on, and always wear one.   You're right though, if I did it all along, I wouldn't have any of those cool memories.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I often shoot at things when I have no idea as to what's beyond them.

I handle loaded guns as if they're empty.

I never where eye or ear protection.

I point my loaded guns at things I don't wish shot.

You don't sound too bright.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I always wear my seat belt religiously. In my nieghborhood, there a lot of foriegn born people who are new drivers, and they don't drive too well. I've almost got hit a few times, but at some point I may not be able to avoid them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#24]
is this thread serious? this is about the dumbest thing i've ever heard.....do you also run out in front of traffic and trust God to stop the cars?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#25]
God will help save your soul, not your ass.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Dude, how bout I take a life insurance policy out on your ass? Me beneficiary... game? lemme know --RR
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
God will help save your soul, not your ass.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

we practice every day?

When I grew up, if it didn't kill you then it made you stronger.

And my ass was saved by God many,many times.

Amen

GM

I  

Well, I used to before our RINO governor (who "promised he'd NOT do so) made the NOT wearing a seatbelt a reason for a stop by a LEO... so now y seatbelt is my seatbelt.... but before that yeah, and out of 6 accidents (2 - I was driving, and NO, not may "fault" 4 others were driving) once I was wearing a seatbelt... no idea why, I never (okay, almost never) did, but I did, that was the ONLY time I "needed" one, and I walked away (or drove away) from all 6 accidents, including the one where I "needed" the seatbelt to avoid serious injury... I think I more trusted God to guide my hand in "buckling up" when it might be called for. IMO, same diff.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#29]
"I don't know if there is a God, but I'm afraid of him"
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:13:30 PM EDT
[#30]
GOD will save your butt. I am proof of that.

I've got some good stories but it will take too long to tell and aint nobody on here going to believe it anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top