Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/19/2004 3:42:02 PM EDT
And nope, no pics No digicam, plus I'm not that frickin' gruesome.

A couple of weeks ago I my 2 year old girl and I were playing in my back yard when I noticed a very large tabby cat wander into my yard.  I own about an acre in a fairly rural area and I see stray cats and dogs all of the time . . . my little girl knows to avoid them and NOT to touch them.  I usually ignore them unless they look aggressive, then I chase them off.

I have one of those little play units in my back yard that is made of wood . . . it has a swing, a sliding board and a little platform thats about 5 feet off of the ground that is reached by climbing a ladder.  My girl LOVES the thing - the sliding board is her favorite.

An hour later was about 10 feet away from her digging a trench for a new gray water line when I heard my little girl scream at the top of her lungs - I looked up to see her fall backwards off of the ladder.  I ran over to her and noticed her face was COVERED with blood over her eyes.  It seems that she was climbing up the ladder and when her head got to the top, the cat slashed her right across the eyes.

We ran her to the ER where we found that one of her eyelids was cut almost all of the way through . . . THANK GOD she blinked and jerked back.  She had lacerations on her right ear and neck also.  The docs fixed her up pretty good, but she has had nightmares every night since.  The docs wanted us to call animal control to have the animal tested for rabies, but the cat was nowhere to be found.  I asked the doc how long I should try to find the cat and she said that if we don't find the animal in a week or so, don't bother.  That was 19 days ago . . .

This evening when I in the driveway from work I noticed the cat was nosing around the yard.  I watched it for a few minutes and realized that it was not really a stray - it was well fed and had a flea collar.  I reached behind my seat, grabbed my XD-9, rolled down my window, and cracked a single round of Corbon 115g +P+ straight into his head from about 25 meters.

No more frickin' kitty.  

I didn't particularly like shooting the beast (it was someones pet . . . and I have a cat myself) but I'm not taking any chances with my little girl.

_Disconnector_

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Love my cats.

They ever did that to anybody, I'd shoot 'em myself.

Good kill.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#2]
It seems we have found a use for the 9mm finally.

Glad your little girl was not hurt any worse.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It seems we have found a use for the 9mm finally.

Glad your little girl was not hurt any worse.

How long till someone chimes in that a .45 would have done better...
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#4]
You only had to shoot it once with a 9mm?  I'm surprised it didn't get up, shake it off, walk over and beat you down with a stick.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#5]

I don't usually advocate shooting cats, but if a cat ever did that to my kid, then "kitty's gotta go".
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#6]
glad your little girl is ok
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#7]
You do what you have to do. Only thing to remember is that if you are looking for an animal to check for rabies DON'T SHOOT THEM THE HEAD. The brain is needed for the test.

Personally if that had happened to my daughter, the corpse would have gone to the hospital with us. A couple of minutes of bleeding from the injury is far better than the treatment for rabies.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#8]
you did what you had to to protect your lil'girl.  when it comes down to lil'kids or cats. bye cat

as for a .45 that would have made to much a mess to clean up
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:55:24 PM EDT
[#9]
10 points...unless he was moving, the it's worth 20 points.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a similar experience when my own cat scratched my niece's face.  She was 2 or 3 at the time.  The cat just barely missed her eyes.  I heard her crying in the next room.  When I got there I saw blood on her face and the cat hissing at her.  I failed to control my temper and I beat the cat to death (away from my niece's view, of course).

I'm not proud of that at all.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I have cats...good shot!!!  That cat should have been dead 20 days ago.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Love my cats.

They ever did that to anybody, I'd shoot 'em myself.

Good kill.

+1
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I love my cats, but I'll be damned if that'll stop me in a situation like this.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#14]
No argument from me , I would have capped his ass too
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Nothing comes before your little girl.  The fucking furball got what it deserved.  I would have caught the sucker alive and went muslim on it.  Cut its head off put it in baggie and take it to the hospital with me.  The rest I would find the owners and dump it on their porch.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Were you aiming for its head? If so good shot.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Has anyone seen my cat?  It is a fat tabby and has a flea collar.  Loves kids and answers to the name BulletCatcher!  h.gif
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#18]
<Content removed.  4.) Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities including, but not limited to, threats against the life of any living person,>

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You do what you have to do. Only thing to remember is that if you are looking for an animal to check for rabies DON'T SHOOT THEM THE HEAD. The brain is needed for the test.

Personally if that had happened to my daughter, the corpse would have gone to the hospital with us. A couple of minutes of bleeding from the injury is far better than the treatment for rabies.

+1 on the "don't shoot for the head next time"... sort of hard to test brains for rabies when they're scattered all over the lawn.

good shot.

happy your kid is safe.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Good to here your pumpkin is alright. Who cares if it was someones pet, it was in your
little girls space and done her harm. I wouldn't have been able to put enough bullets
in that cat.

GM
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Now that's a good cat.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I am glad your child did not get hurt worse.

I don't own a cat cause I don't like them.

Good kill.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Sgtar15 would be proud lol glad your kid isn't hurt any worse
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Just to make this clear...

You did shoot the right cat didn't you?  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#25]
you got 2 out of 3. Shoot and shovel.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I love cats but I would've killed it too.  Hope you got the right cat.

Glad your daughter's going to be ok.

Edited to add:  My father's animal control and a few months ago they initiated a law here that all animals are to be confined otherwise they will consider the animal "at large" and you can receive a $500 fine for every animal you have "at large".  Maybe your county should look into the same.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#27]
When i was younger a girl i went to school withgot a attacked by a cat. It was her aunt's cat and lived in her house. Well we were upsatirs in her room, my friend moved kind of quickly and the cat just flipped. It jumped onter her back and sank it's claws in, It shredded her back real bad. She was covered in blood and the cat didn't stop for like 2 minutes. I could't get the cat off until i threw something at it, then it jumped onto my leg and started doing the same thing. Well her mom came up stairs because of all the screaming, crabbed the cat by it's neck, pulled it off me and threw it against the wall. I don't mind cats. But i can still hear her screaming when they poured the alcohol down her back to clean the gashes.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Cats-   they taste like chicken.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Glad your daughter is going to be OK.  It could have been a lot worse.

Bad kitty, no special treat.  I train my cats not to behave that way.  If I ever had one that was a threat to people I'd have it put down.

dave223 wrote:

The cat was just doing what comes natural to cats. They strike first and ask questions later.

One could also say that it's natural for dogs to hunt in packs and kill anything they can, but responsible pet owners train their animals to get along peacefully with humans.

I've never owned a cat that would attack a child without severe provocation.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Good kill. Good kill.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#31]
25 meters and you hit a cat in the head on the first shot with an XD-9..................

Dude, you should try out for the Olympic pistol shooting team.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I am a cat lover, I am always defending them from idiots that get a kick out of hurting them, BUT I have to agree with what you did, no more nasty cat, just a dead one.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Man.................................you did it now.  All of the PETA Trolls are going to get pissed about the cat.
There is probably a Peta war-party goning on right now. They could shut down this forum.
You should have tried to talk to the cat and convince it to come along peacefully.
But Nooooooooooooooooo you had to shoot it with with a XD.  The humane thing would have been
an 30.06, it would have died quicker. Would have turned it inside out too.

Glad your daughter is ok.
Joel
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Good shot, you should post this story on the PETA2 boards.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I hope you thanked God that your little girl was ok.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Glad your daughter is going to be OK.  It could have been a lot worse.

Bad kitty, no special treat.  I train my cats not to behave that way.  If I ever had one that was a threat to people I'd have it put down.

dave223 wrote:

The cat was just doing what comes natural to cats. They strike first and ask questions later.

One could also say that it's natural for dogs to hunt in packs and kill anything they can, but responsible pet owners train their animals to get along peacefully with humans.

I've never owned a cat that would attack a child without severe provocation.

You did read my whole post right? Animals are animals. They are not to be completely trusted ever. They are not human and you can not read their minds as much as some of you may like to think you can. My cat will scratch my little boy (warning scratches...NOT scratching to kill) if he moves towards him really fast. I dont kill it because I understand a cats defensive nature. While  I agree that with the dispatching of this particular cat, I also believe the onwer should suffer the same fate. Now quit taking  small quotes from my post in order to start an argument.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for all the support guys.  I really didn't feel bad for the little fucker - I just like cats.  My pet cat is the most patient animal I've ever seen.  

As far as the 25y shot with the XD-9 goes, my XD is extremely accurate with the right loads AND  I was resting my arm on the window frame.  And I am a pretty damn good shot with it.  Thank God I traded my Glock for it  - I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with that thing.  

I used a couple of pounds of lime on the grave . . . hope a dog doesn't dig it up.  Explaining it to my 2 yr old would be a little difficult.

Anyone have any tips on keeping predators away?

_Disconnector_
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the support guys.  I really didn't feel bad for the little fucker - I just like cats.  My pet cat is the most patient animal I've ever seen.  

As far as the 25y shot with the XD-9 goes, my XD is extremely accurate with the right loads AND  I was resting my arm on the window frame.  And I am a pretty damn good shot with it.  Thank God I traded my Glock for it  - I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with that thing.  

I used a couple of pounds of lime on the grave . . . hope a dog doesn't dig it up.  Explaining it to my 2 yr old would be a little difficult.

_Disconnector_

I LOVE my three cats. Alot. I am one of the few on this site that takes issue with certain assmonkeys who think it's funny to kill cats for fun.

That said, I love my Daughter more than all the cats I've ever owned.

I'da whacked the little bastard, too, without a second thought.

Sad that this cat's owner is an irresponsible cockholster, and the cat paid for it.

You did just fine.

Hope your little one is okay.

SG
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just to make this clear...

You did shoot the right cat didn't you?  

If it was in his yard and unwelcomed then he got the right cat.

I'm sure his new motto is: No stray cat will enter unchallenged.

GWS little lady.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#42]

_Disconnector_

More magazines................

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#43]
I love cats, but I dang well know that some cats are for petting and some cats are for killing.

Good kill.  Although, if it had done  that to my child, I might've just shot it low to give it time to think about its sins...   Good thing you had time to cool down!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#44]

I gotta throw the BS flag here. I mean how could he hit with all three rounds in the burst setting while the tango was advancing on him in a combat situation and then have the presence of mind to go to single shot to finish with the shot to the head. I mean come on how likely is that?
Oops, I was thinking of another thread.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#45]
You should have backed over it with your car a couple of times for good measure.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Good shot. Glad the little one is ok. So , now are you going to have cat targets printed up? Hey there is an idea. You know the BG situation targets? Well you could subsitute the BG with the cat! Huh, huh? Good shooting. Take care.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

_Disconnector_[/quot

Four words, You need a dog.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I had a similar experience when my own cat scratched my niece's face.  She was 2 or 3 at the time.  The cat just barely missed her eyes.  I heard her crying in the next room.  When I got there I saw blood on her face and the cat hissing at her.  I failed to control my temper and I beat the cat to death (away from my niece's view, of course).

I'm not proud of that at all.

Hell, I wouldn't be proud of it either but the cat needed killin'!

I'd probably suggest a different method than beating the damn thing to death - lol.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Good shoot.  +1 to no headshots if testing for rabies.  

Send the owner your daughters doctor bill.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top