Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2004 10:32:18 PM EDT
I'm getting really pissed

I had once installed a Lexmark POS that gave me trouble, so I canned it.  I deleted what I thought was everything.

Now, I'm trying to install an HP photo printer (7760) and it keeps telling me the RPC server isn't running, which is bullshit, because I've checked and it appears to be on to me?  To add insult to injury, I have NO print spooler service?  Even in the registry the print spooler is gone from the list!  

Anyone?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#1]
By the way, it's XP Pro and SP 1 with all the latest updates.

ETA:  Okay, I'm fucked I guess.  I did some more searching on google and found out my spooler is gone!  sc query spooler returned a Failed 1060, meaning the service is not corrupt but deleted!!  

I can't find one place on the net or newsgroups that tell me what to do with a 1060 problem.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:25:35 AM EDT
[#2]

By the way, it's XP Pro and SP 1 with all the latest updates.

Not all the updates SP1 with all updates = SP2 + some updates.

Need more specifics:
Processor
Memory
Motherboard

Try this.

1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Administrative Tools.
2. Double-click Component Services, click to select Services (Local), right-click Print Spooler, and then click Properties.
3. Click Start, and then click OK.

Uninstall all printers if any are installed.
Download the latest printer driver from the HP web site.

I am assuming this is a USB printer. If so make sure the printer is not connected.

Run the HP install routine and only plug in the USB cable after the install is finished or is requested.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Its hosed. Fdisk  Format c: and re-install.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#4]
There's no way to get back my print spooler McNasty?

Mike,

The computer is an Abit TH-7II, 1 Gig Kingston RDRAM, and Pentium 4 1.8 Northwood.  It runs perfect and has never had any other problems.  I want to upgrade, but can't afford it.

I've been in services and the Print Spooler service is gone.  It doesn't exist at all.  

Isn't there a way to reinstall SP1 or someting that will give me back the spooler service?  I can't even imagine trying to reinstall on a clean HDD.  This computer has a lot of hard to configure shit on it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There's no way to get back my print spooler McNasty?

Mike,

The computer is an Abit TH-7II, 1 Gig Kingston RDRAM, and Pentium 4 1.8 Northwood.  It runs perfect and has never had any other problems.  I want to upgrade, but can't afford it.

I've been in services and the Print Spooler service is gone.  It doesn't exist at all.  

Isn't there a way to reinstall SP1 or someting that will give me back the spooler service?  I can't even imagine trying to reinstall on a clean HDD.  This computer has a lot of hard to configure shit on it.

I suspect the “Spoolsv.exe” and “Spoolss.dll” files are missing from the “C:\Windows\System32” folder, look to see if those files are there. If not there they can be copied from another XP machine that is working to your machine.

Important you probably HAVE to replace these files before re-installing SP1 if you want things to work.

You can reinstall SP1. I suggest if you have broadband go to the MS site and download the whole service pack as a single file. Just do a search for XP SP1 and you should be able to find it.

The SP1 file is an executable and once started should install over the previous SP1 install.

If the files are missing and you don’t have access to another machine IM me with a e-mail address and I will try and send them as an attachment.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks a lot for your help, but the SP1 reinstall didn't fix it.  The Spool files are in the win32 directory and everything.  The registry must have been hosed after my Lexmark uninstall because there's no reference for this service in there.  I'm just going to buy and build a new system.  Really can't afford it, but I've needed to anyhow for my simulator I like to run.  

Thanks again!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top