Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2004 8:01:28 PM EDT
Remember 10 years ago when the military issued you Break free to clean your weapon?  Oh, what a wonderful smell!  The new stuff smells different...anybody know why?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't the guy who sang that song die of Aids. Queen right?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I dunno...I don't make it a habit to sniff that stuff...
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#3]
It still smells the same to me. Did the military go to something else lately? We always had CLP
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Remember 10 years ago when the military issued you Break free to clean your weapon?  Oh, what a wonderful smell!  The new stuff smells different...anybody know why?

To the dude who just posted about Queen, you want www.potsmokers.com not AR15.com.

And NRA guy, in the military it was a comforting smell to know your gun was clean.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I find the smell of Break Free REPULSIVE... got that crap on my hand and everytime I smell it ... makes me gag.

HOPPES!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! YEAH HOPPES.... ZZZZZZZZZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  HOLY CRAP NOW THAT IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD STUFF!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..

oooops.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, it smells differently than it did in the '80s. I still have a bottle of the old stuff. Everytime I open it, it brings back memories of basic training and weekends in the arms room.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Growing up, I thought Hoppes #9 should have been an aftershave. Smelled a lot better to me than Old Spice, Brut, or all the other things popular at the time.

I still like the smell of Hoppes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry, I couldn't help the "Break Free" comment.  I was in the Corps from 71 to 75 but I don't remember what we used. After years of using whatever chemicals I could get I am now more cautious. I heard that some of the solvents can end up in your liver. From now on I'll buy "safe" stuff and try to use gloves.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top