Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 7:47:20 PM EDT
I'm watching the ALCS game, and I noticed three things.

1) Several Boston players have some motor-oil-looking gunk on their batting helmets that's so bad, you can't even see the "B". WTF is up with that?

2) WTF is up with the new fad of wearing baseball caps inside-out? What, wearing them sidewaise gangsta-style isn't cool enough anymore?

3) WTF is up with this funky modified NY logo that some Boston fans are wearing? It's like an H with a Y over it?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#1]
the caps inside out is a sign of disgust over your own team, You don't want people seeng who your rooting for.
The gunk on the helmet is just wear and tear. Some guys will wear the same cap for a whole season for luck
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
the caps inside out is a sign of disgust over your own team, You don't want people seeng who your rooting for

Man, that's harsh. LOTS of Boston fans are doing that....
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the caps inside out is a sign of disgust over your own team, You don't want people seeng who your rooting for

Boston is a EXTREMELY tough town on Sports teams and players.  Unless your Larry Bird or Bobby Orr -these guys walk on water in Boston, you are pretty much a BUM.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boston is a EXTREMELY tough town on Sports teams and players.  Unless your Larry Bird or Bobby Orr -these guys walk on water in Boston, you are pretty much a BUM.

...and then people wonder why we Yankee fans take such perverse pleasure in beating their team into the ground....

No matter how bad my Yankees were playing back when I was a serious fan, I NEVER treated them as bad as I've seen Boston fans treat their own team...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
the caps inside out is a sign of disgust over your own team, You don't want people seeng who your rooting for.

Inside out cap is the rally-cap.

eta: the black gunk is pine-tar.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've wondered what is on the Boston helmets... looks like pine tar or something.

I believe that's what it is.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

...and then people wonder why we Yankee fans take such perverse pleasure in beating their team into the ground....

No matter how bad my Yankees were playing back when I was a serious fan, I NEVER treated them as bad as I've seen Boston fans treat their own team...

It is just the way Bean town is, the Red Sox are the whipping boys, the Patriots used to be in this category.  The Celtics have been Boston's pride and joy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess putting the extra pine tar in the middle of the bat like the rest of humanity isn't good enough....
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm watching the ALCS game, and I noticed three things.

1) Several Boston players have some motor-oil-looking gunk on their batting helmets that's so bad, you can't even see the "B". WTF is up with that?

2) WTF is up with the new fad of wearing baseball caps inside-out? What, wearing them sidewaise gangsta-style isn't cool enough anymore?

3) WTF is up with this funky modified NY logo that some Boston fans are wearing? It's like an H with a Y over it?

Thanks!

1. Pine Tar.. they wont clean it off in fear of superstition.
2. Rally cap. If a team is losing they try to 'turn the game around' by 'turning the cap around'
3. Have NO friggin clue.

You know. maybe its the uniform. Anaheim Angels changed the design of their uniform in 2002 and look what happened... WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!

Its NOT Babe Ruth guys... its the uniform.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
1. Pine Tar.. they wont clean it off in fear of superstition.

What, that they'll STOP losing the penant or the World Series all the time?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats not what it is...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Inside out hats are "rally caps" you turn your hat inside out when your team is behind but close...  I guess... The Boston helmets I heard got dinged up bad because of them throwing them around from losing so much, lol.  My problem is, last night and tonight they have been showing people wearing a hat from one team and a shirt from the other, whats up with that? In NY or in Bean town, you'd get your ass beat for that leaving the stadium. I've seen Yankee's fans yell at Met's fans who are just there to see a game. Boston fans are worse, they follow you to your car if you have a  Yankee hat on.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Inside out hats are "rally caps" you turn your hat inside out when your team is behind but close...  I guess... The Boston helmets I heard got dinged up bad because of them throwing them around from losing so much, lol.  My problem is, last night and tonight they have been showing people wearing a hat from one team and a shirt from the other, whats up with that? In NY or in Bean town, you'd get your ass beat for that leaving the stadium. I've seen Yankee's fans yell at Met's fans who are just there to see a game. Boston fans are worse, they follow you to your car if you have a  Yankee hat on.

Don't you know... Boston is home to His Royal Highness... Flip Floppes Rex!

Rooting for both teams depending on who's asking? What team do you favor? Eh, whoever wins.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#16]
the RALLY HAT BABY....

pine tar on a helmet..comes off the gloves thru routine wear and ends up on the helmets. its nasty stuff and a far cry from a fashion statement.

baseball players (myself included) are a very superstitous bunch...who will rarely clean gear till a season is done..

that is all, carry on...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top