Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 9:21:05 AM EDT
As I stated on another thread I am going to get to Mass each week between now and the election to pray for Pres. Bush and his re-election.  It was a very interesting Mass today, both because of the readings and because of the new priest who seems to be a very bright and cool guy.  I'm actually looking forward to hearing what he has to say in his sermon next week.  The theme of this week's liturgy is "Prayer" and the importance of prayer and reading the Bible.

Rather than give you my interpretation of this Exodus passage which was the first reading, read it yourself and think about it:

Exodus 17:8-13

Then Amalek came and fought with Israel at Rephidim. Moses said to Joshua, ‘Choose some men for us and go out, fight with Amalek. Tomorrow I will stand on the top of the hill with the staff of God in my hand.’  So Joshua did as Moses told him, and fought with Amalek, while Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill.  Whenever Moses held up his hand, Israel prevailed; and whenever he lowered his hand, Amalek prevailed.  But Moses’ hands grew weary; so they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held up his hands, one on one side, and the other on the other side; so his hands were steady until the sun set.  And Joshua defeated Amalek and his people with the sword.

Here is a link to a great sermon on the subject of the Israelites war with Amalek:

www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0112.htm

Just as interesting is this gospel reading:

Luke 18:1-8
Then Jesus told them a parable about their need to pray always and not to lose heart. He said, ‘In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor had respect for people. In that city there was a widow who kept coming to him and saying, “Grant me justice against my opponent.” For a while he refused; but later he said to himself, “Though I have no fear of God and no respect for anyone, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will grant her justice, so that she may not wear me out by continually coming.”’ And the Lord said, ‘Listen to what the unjust judge says. And will not God grant justice to his chosen ones who cry to him day and night? Will he delay long in helping them? I tell you, he will quickly grant justice to them. And yet, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?’

I wonder who the wicked judge is today who doesn't fear God or respect any man?

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I pray for knowledge of God's will and the power to carry it out.

That's all I pray for...the rest is meditation.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:29:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Excellent post, Gun.

The job this man has as President ... sure must be wieghing heavily.

Most people do not know that he lost a baby sister to some diesese. I forgot which.

He was there at her side as she died.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I heard the same readings/gospel as you.  Thanks for giving me another way of looking at it.  I started praying for the president on 9-11.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top