Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2004 7:35:42 PM EDT
Last month my six year old daughter's two front teeth on the bottom came loose.  The first tooth came out pretty quickly after a few days, but the second front tooth stayed loose but never came out.  At her checkup three weeks ago, I had my wife ask her about the tooth and what we should do about it.  She said there was nothing to worry about and that it would take care of itself.  I should also mention that her gum line looked normal.

Fast forward to tonight.  My daughter is about to brush her teeth, and I ask her to let me look at her tooth.  I notice that there is a lump behind her existing bottom front tooth and the new tooth has broken through the gums a good half inch behind where the loose tooth is.  I'm so mad right now it's not even funny.  My daughter is model pretty, and has been recruited by a few talent agencies because of her looks and personality.  I was worried that just such a thing might happen and that's why I wanted the dentist's opinion on what to do.

Needless to say that after a lot of anger and tears, the tooth is out, but I'm afraid the damage is already done.  I know it's my pride in my daughter that makes me so angry, but is there anything that they can do beyond braces?  All her other teeth are straight as they should be.

GBT
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Stuff like this seems to be pretty common. I suspect it won't be too big a deal, but will require braces and/or some surgery. Just about anything wrong with teeth can be fixed. The bad news is this doesnt come cheap.

I'm not a doctor, I just spent five years in braces. I have near perfect alignment now, which you would think is a miracle after seeing the molds of my teeth right before I got braces.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#2]
My son, who was 4 1/2, had his two bottom teeth come in behind the baby teeth before the baby teeth even got loose.  Holy shit I thought.  The dentist didn't seem concerned--said that once the baby teeth came out that the tongue naturally pushes those permanents forward.

Flash forward....he is 6 1/2 now and both of those teeth are where they are supposed to be.  But for a while all I could think of was my little freak with the two rows of teeth!!!

My oldest, a girl, is 9 and has a tooth that just came in behind her baby tooth on the bottom.  For some reason the baby tooth refuses to come out...so here I am again with another freak child and two rows of teeth.  This time I'm not as worried.  She has a dental appt. next week and the dentist will pull that baby tooth and I'm pretty sure that the tooth will go to where it's supposed to.  

Follow the advice of your dentist, but I think that age 6 is too young to get too worried about braces...some things just fix themselves.

Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top