Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2004 5:54:39 PM EDT
I'm sending out my VA non-resident CCW and was wondering what's the difference between:

States that honor this states permit.

and

States that have reciprocity with this state.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#1]
packing.org
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#2]
tag because I have been wondering the legal definition as well
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#3]
www.packing.org

Honor - that State will accept your CCW

Reciprocity - your State will also accept theirs - a formal agreement between them.

Some States will take most anybodys, other States only take the ones they reciprocity with.

For example, Pennsylvania and Virginia wont' enter into an agreement, in part because PA doesn't have a central database available 24 hrs a day to check the validity of our permits.  VA doesn't like that.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
www.packing.org

Thats why Im asking here...cant find a plain answer on packing.org

gotcha.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Look in the Glossary, it explains much good

Reciprocity-- Bilateral agreement
Honor-- Unilateral agreement
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#6]
what a bunch of dickheads NY are,,,makes me wonder why anyone would honor my permit.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#7]
There are only a few states that will honor NY's permit because NY refuses to enter into any reciprocal agreements with any other state.  

If you want to talk about stupidity a NY permit isn't even valid throughout the entire state either.  Now how stupid is that?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#8]
NY does suck. non residents can't even bring a handgun in from out of state, even if it's not being carried. spend the night in a hotel and technically they can arrest you for illegal possession of a handgun. shit, they're trying to arrest people flying in or out of NY airports and are only in the state for a hour or two
it is pretty surprising that states will honor ours, and recent too. I remember just s couple years ago no state was listed at packing.org that would recognize a NY permit other than vermont but that's because no one needs any permit or license in VT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top