Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 5:27:00 AM EDT
I'm generally not a big fan of advertising what my beliefs are... say for example who I'm voting for, that I'm a membe of the NRA, etc. I don't like to reveal too much about myself to anyone I don't know, especially when I don't know their "affiliation". I figure as soon as I throw up my flag and people know "who's side I'm on I'm going to have crosshairs and red dots all over me (figuratively speaking... for the most part )

That being said, I think this mentallity/frame of mind is somewhat prevelant among this crowd... so I was wondering if, despite thinking this way, if some people still put "Vote Bush" signs on their lawn and car bumpers. I've read at least a couple threads whee people who have campaign suport on their lawns or cars have been singled out or hassled.

Do those who normally would not do this, do it now to invite/taunt/provoke the opposition?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:28:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I am in Kansas.  Putting signs on my lawn or car for pres. would be a waste of time.

Republicans always carry Kansas.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:29:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats one reason I did.  

Plus I support Bush

I support Bush screw your liberial Geo driving ass, look at my sticker while you set behind my non emission meeting Trans Am.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:31:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:33:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I try to be simple about it rather than gaudy.

ONE simple "W" sticker on the truck. One NRA Life Member sticker. That's it.

I will respond when asked, and may ask with respect myself, but I certainly don't go around blasting people.

Except for yesterday. Gotta start a thread about that. The asshole deserved it!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:34:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I prefer to shove my opinion down other peoples throat until they choke on it.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:36:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Sgtar15

No shit. Really?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:37:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sgtar15

I heard from the Hun that your opinion leaves a salty taste in his mouth.  And his jaw hurts, because Catholic opinions are so big.

eta - The Hun is gone to gunstock right?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:39:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgtar15

I heard from the Hun that your opinion leaves a salty taste in his mouth.  And his jaw hurts, because Catholic opinions are so big.

Heard that from the Hun, huh?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:40:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Sgtar15

Now there's an honest answer. Cripes that's funny.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:40:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Hell no dude, I'm from CT, I try to stay as far under the radar as possible.  If you really want to find out where people stand, you can go fishing with other questions unrelated to firearms.  

Short Story Time; My girlfriend and I went out with a couple that lives in her appt complex that she's been hangin with.   I had never met these folks before, and my girlfriend has only known them for a short time. We're in the resteraunt talking having the usual shallow conversation about our jobs and whatnot, and out of left field the guy goes "I've been wanting to get my pistol permit lately".  Of all the things to say at a dinner table with people you don't really know.  Of course I played dumb for a little while and fished before I told him I did classes for it.  Turns out they're both quite conservative as well, Bush fans, etc.  I would never bring up guns at a dinner table with people I didn't know though, so it was pretty shocking that he did so.  

So the moral of the story is... I like pie.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:46:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:47:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I never put political stickers on my car until 2000...after 8 years of Clinton, I was just very very eager to get a Republican in the White House.  This year, I have stickers on my car and my wife's car and a sign in our front yard.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:48:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I must say, I enjoyed being in NH and seeing all the Bush signs last weekend.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:50:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I can't imagine how completely stupid someone would have to be to have their mind or even vote changed by a bumper sticker or yard sign with a man's name on it. I mean think of how dumb the person would have to be to have their vote changed from seeing one or even a thousand signs in the yards of their neighbors ...

I do believe that voters out west change their votes based on the election results posted from the polls back east ... and how completely stupid is that ... as I watched early returns and later returns during the Clinton elections and watched as strong republican voting waned and was replaced by strong democrat voting later in the day. I think as a voter out west sees their presidential canidate losing they don't bother to vote at all meaning that they also don't pick their senators or vote in the local ballot issues either. The democrats seem to vote later in the day for some reason and it looks like they join in with their New York and other New England brothers piling on.

Just remember, 1/2 the population is below average.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:52:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm looking for a "Dogist" bumper sticker.  If I can't eat it or hump it, I piss on it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:54:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I must say, I enjoyed being in NH and seeing all the Bush signs last weekend.  

That's because I've been running over all the Kerry signs.  Did you notice many lawns with big tire tracks?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:19:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Generaly speaking, I don't try to shove my opinion on others with bumper stickers I prefer to be low profile.  But somthing has changed in me.  I am tired of having my nose shoved in it the last few years by the liberal left.  The only way others will know that it is allright to be right is to tell them.  There is safety in numbers.  I guess that this comes from my mom being a  rabid Goldwater supporter and Nixon supporter.  In that time period Texas was a battleground state unlike now and support of a republican candidate could dump adverse conditions in your lap.   There are a chitload of kerry signs in my neighborhood but very few kerry bumper stickers. That is why I have this on my truck because I dont give a flying f what anyone thinks they need to know what is right.  You would be surprised how many positive comments I get around town.  Apparently Bush has more hispanic support than the dems think he has.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just remember, 1/2 the population is below average.

I thought it was 49%?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#19]
This is what I have on the back of "Ol Blue".  You can read about the adventures of "Ol Blue" at the local Starbucks here: ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=283271

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:30:29 AM EDT
[#20]
1 Red Wings sticker and an NRA Life sticker.

Never had a problem.  The only occurances were people waving (and me noticing that they had either an NRA or Wings sticker on their vehicle).

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#21]
putting a candidates name on your car is worth around $4,000 in advertising funds, for 2 main reasons: name recognition and the 'piling it on' effect.  If people are politically uninformed or simply don't really care, they are likely to vote for whose name they see the most, as they want to be part of the 'crowd'

mi carra

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I am in Kansas.  Putting signs on my lawn or car for pres. would be a waste of time.

I could say the same thing about NC.  However, the popular vote is worth something.  Just becase W may carry a state doesn't mean we shouldn't try to get every possible vote in that state.

I want W to be re-elected by the biggest possible percentage of the popular vote; a clear majority, nothing less.  I don't want to hear liberal whining about an "illigitimate presidency."

C_M
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:43:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I generally don't put ANY bumperstickers on my cars. I have an NRA sticker in the rear window and that's it. I just never was a sticker guy. I do have a Bush sign on the lawn though, and usually an American Flag displayed, weather permitting.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I could say the same thing about NC.  However, the popular vote is worth something.  Just becase W may carry a state doesn't mean we shouldn't try to get every possible vote in that state.

I want W to be re-elected by the biggest possible percentage of the popular vote; a clear majority, nothing less.  I don't want to hear liberal whining about an "illigitimate presidency."

C_M

agreed, and you have to remember the coat-tails effect, though Bush is going to win NC by 10 points or so, Burr is in an incredibly close race for the Senate seat and he needs every republican going to the polls
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm not into advertising either
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:47:51 AM EDT
[#27]
lol - that reminds me, I saw someone park a beat up POS vehicle on US 24 with Kerry stickers all over it.

Talk about bad advertising...if I had to guess, that car had to be towed there.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:50:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#29]
i don't like to draw attention to myself for any reason, so no stickers.

ETA: (well except for on arfcom where i am a contentious attention whore.  )
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#30]
I do wear a shirt with big bold block letters that reads, "I HAVE A GUN"

I wear it to the grocery store or whenever I'm out running errands.  

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#31]
I think that for the most part it's a "me too" kind of thing.  People have a need to feel like they belong to something.  That's really the motivation for virtually every brand or event t-shirt, bumper sticker, yard sign, fancy mailbox, etc.  I'm not just talking about politics here either, but things like Harley t-shirts, state shooting competition t-shirts, political yard signs, Miami Dolphins mailboxes, or those stupid "8" NASCAR stickers.  People want to belong, and they feel a need for these outward showings of the groups they belong to so that the groups can find each other.  

The only groups I like to associate with that I'm a part of are shooters and bikers, so those are the stickers I have on my truck.  I'm taking the Harley sticker off though 'cause the RUBs are making me sick.  I'm voting for Bush but I don't want to talk to any Rush-heads, or really most Republicans period.  I went to the University of Florida but I don't want to talk to any rabid football fans.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:58:54 AM EDT
[#32]
I have 3 stickers, NRA LIfe, EMT and HD. I also have an Ameerican flag flying from the sliding rear window (F150). This is actually the most "advertising" I've ever had, but I believe strongly in all four.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:10:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
guys who put that little Jesus fish in the advertising.

I actually just plain refuse to do business with those people anymore.  Every single one I've ever dealt with was crooked as Jewel's teeth.
I chose not to buy a Dan Wesson 1911 for much the same reason.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#34]
No stories about how some liberal POS scratched up a bumper sticker or tore down lawn signs?

In one way I can kind of see the logic of the "bandwagon effect" swaying the undecideds by process of visual repetition... but at the same time it seems like the rift between Dems and Reps has become such a bitter rivalry that people will actually resort to vandalism to show not only who they support but how it bothers them that other people can actually take a different position than their own.

That's all I need is to walk back to my car in the Food Lion parking lot to find the window with the Bush sticker has been smashed by some asshole Kerry supporter.

I understand the "wear it like a badge of honor" mentality, but anymore it seems to be a welcome sign for people to judge others in a negative way. Sad, but in my eyes true.

I suppose geography has a lot to do with it though. Driving around with an NRA nd Bush sticker in Texas vs. Kali will invoke completely oppostie responses.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:12:16 AM EDT
[#35]
In general I think it has the opposite effect.  I see somebody driving 45 in the passing lane with a Kerry sticker on their car and I think "yep, figures".  I see some dirty-ass broke down (Campy?  Is that you?) car with a Kerry sticker on it and I think "yep, figures".  If I was voting Dem I'd try and peel the stickers off of those cars.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Would you also throw down a "Yep, figures" for the pick-up truck with the gun rack and NASCAR sticker that also has a "Vote W" sticker?

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Would you also throw down a "Yep, figures" for the pick-up truck with the gun rack and NASCAR sticker that also has a "Vote W" sticker?

Yes, but other than thinking that the person is another NASCAR idiot, there really isn't any other negative connotation to that.  Somebody that is driving around stinking to high heaven, in a 20 year old POS, going 45 in a 70, and looking like a homeless person is much more of a negative reflection on the Kerry camp in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#38]
I personally don't want to advertise my affiliation on my vehicle, because working in an uber-liberal college town I would rather not invite attention/vandalism to my truck which I worked my ass off to buy from some pathectic cry baby "mommy and daddy give me evrtything" university panty-waste. My house however......thats another story, but all in all id rather sit in silence when a bunch of liberals spout off, then intelligently inform them exactly why they are wrong. Kinda fun being labeled a "warmonger" and "facist"
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I'm not into advertising either

Me either.  I see no point in tipping my hand to anyone.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#40]
We have nearly 1000' of very visible frontage on a busy street (Wal-Mart just across the street and Catholic Church).  I'll put up signs in the last week mostly as an affirmation.  Heavy Republican anyway.  Our renters are Hispanic but I have no idea how they vote, or if they vote but they'd be welcome to put up their own signs.  People feel better when they get to exercise choice.

Just an NRA sticker and a "God Bless America, Even if it's Against the Law" sticker on my PU.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
putting a candidates name on your car is worth around $4,000 in advertising funds, for 2 main reasons: name recognition and the 'piling it on' effect.  If people are politically uninformed or simply don't really care, they are likely to vote for whose name they see the most, as they want to be part of the 'crowd'

mi carra

people.clemson.edu/~andersh/pics/carback.jpg

+1  Some voters just like looking at each other's cards.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I'm generally not a big fan of advertising what my beliefs are...

Seems to me you just advertised what one of  your key beleifs are.    

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Sgtar15

Between playing with dolls of course.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I'm generally not a big fan of advertising what my beliefs are... say for example who I'm voting for, that I'm a membe of the NRA, etc. I don't like to reveal too much about myself to anyone I don't know, especially when I don't know their "affiliation". I figure as soon as I throw up my flag and people know "who's side I'm on I'm going to have crosshairs and red dots all over me (figuratively speaking... for the most part )

That being said, I think this mentallity/frame of mind is somewhat prevelant among this crowd... so I was wondering if, despite thinking this way, if some people still put "Vote Bush" signs on their lawn and car bumpers. I've read at least a couple threads whee people who have campaign suport on their lawns or cars have been singled out or hassled.

Do those who normally would not do this, do it now to invite/taunt/provoke the opposition?

Off topic kinda,

I am private about politics, religion, gun ownership, and my family.

Politics....conservative.  Nothing more needs to be said.  No stickers, etc.

Religion....preach the Gospel, preach the Gospel, preach the Gospel....and if necessary, use words.

Guns...none of anyone'ss business unless they say, "hey is that a _______".  Not, "DO YOU OWN ONE OF THOSE EVIL BLACK RIFLES?"

Family.  I am the Husband of one wife.  The Father of two lovely children.  That is as far as conversations about my family go...unless I trust the person I'm talking to.  D.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top