Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/13/2004 3:07:20 AM EDT
Are high fuel costs having any affect on your lifestyle?

Just wondering.  I am having no problems at the pump paying $1.89/gallon.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:08:04 AM EDT
[#1]
1.89 a gallon is not high.  Gas is still relatively cheap.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:09:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
1.89 a gallon is not high.  Gas is still relatively cheap.

SGatr15

Damn dude, do you ever go to sleep?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:11:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I dont like it, I get approx 17MPG (Damn LT1), if I was dring my TA it would be a bigger deal (Damn 6.6L),  Considering it cost me an extra $30-50 a month for fuel its somewhat I problem.  That is a half case of ammo, I dont drive around for the hell of it, but didnt before either.

I apid $1.89 for 93 the other day. 15 miles each way to work.

Basicly, I dont like it, but it hasnt made any great changes.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:11:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I just woke up.

Do you think that price is high?

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:13:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Paid $1.97/Gallon for 87 last night.   24Miles one way to work.

Other station vary from $1.97 ~ $2.09 for 87

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:13:39 AM EDT
[#6]
If gas prices in my area hit the $2.75-$3 area then it is going to start hurting the pocketbook.  Right now I am making a lot more money than I did last year so the 20% increase this year is no big deal.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:25:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Nope.

My company is paying for my gas!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:26:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Nope.

My company is paying me for my gas too, the problem is I am 1/3 owner
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:27:52 AM EDT
[#9]
No, but its going to real soon.  Trying to save up money for a house and every penny counts!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:31:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't never really go anywhere but to work and back so it doesn't really affect me. I have a 15 gallon tank on a Toyota 4x4 and fill up once every 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:36:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Not one bit.  My car gets about 38mpg on the freeway, so most gas hikes only cost me about an extra $5/week.  

If you look at gasoline as compaired to almost all other products on the market, the rate of inflation of the past 30-40yrs has been remarkebly low.  If gas were to have risen with normal inflation like everything else, it would be about 4$/gallon right now.  

I think we're lucky, and I can't see bitching about $2/gallon.  Although, I do empythize with those who use far more gas/week than i do.  I understand it can hit your budget quick.  It would be nice if prices could be stabalized somehow.  Too bad most of the worlds oill comes from such volitile countries.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:36:21 AM EDT
[#12]
... Not really, when I see a 16 oz. bottle of water, sitting next to a refrigerated drinking fountain, sell at the gas-station for $1.39 I just chuckle.

... I would however like to see more incentives for research monies dedicated to alternate fuel/power sources. I was amazed to hear the percentage of hydrocarbon fossil fuels used daily just to keep the power grid running. I thought the majority of oil consumption was used in automobiles - not so
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:45:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nope.

My company is paying me for my gas too, the problem is I am 1/3 owner

I'm just an employee!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:47:20 AM EDT
[#14]
We take the car as much as we can seeing it gets 35+ mpg and leave the SUV at home. It only gets about 18 mpg.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:49:20 AM EDT
[#15]
It's like 2.35 here...
Try not to drive much..
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:51:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Just topped off the tank yesterday at $2.059 a gallon.  However, I drive a Honda Insight and am getting around 68MPG on my commute so I don't really think about it too much.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:52:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
We take the car as much as we can seeing it gets 35+ mpg and leave the SUV at home. It only gets about 18 mpg.

Sheeeit. My truck gets anywhere from 12.6-15mpg in the city under my driving conditions and I used to drive it 30 miles each way to work and back. We leave the wife's Cavalier parked when we go somewhere to travel in the safety of our truck vice someone's crumple zone. IMHO it's cheap insurance. Anyhow I started to reply to this to tell you that 18mpg isn't all that bad.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:57:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Just topped off the tank yesterday at $2.059 a gallon.  However, I drive a Honda Insight and am getting around 68MPG on my commute so I don't really think about it too much.

www.schaffrath.net/photos/Insight.jpg

You know, I'd love to get a hybrid for daily driving, but a) they're just too damned small (I'm 6'3 and a bulging-in-all-the-wrong-places 240 pounds), and too expensive to really make the gas savings worth it.

Am I wrong? Is there a newer model I should know about?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:59:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Fuel prices affect everything --- how do you thinks things get on the shelves ???
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:01:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:03:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

What do you wear on the other foot?

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:09:20 AM EDT
[#22]
$2.16 for diesel in mid Michigan is over the top. $2.09 in Lewistown. I cancelled a fall trip to Montana.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:12:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you wear on the other foot?

Sgatr15

nice
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:22:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Definately!
I commute 350 miles each week to work.  That works out to around $7.00 per week.  It's not a lot, but it adds up.  Essentially, it's as if someone were stealing a box of 9mm ammo from me every week.
Wouldn't you object to that?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:26:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes and no. I'm paying more, and I notice it. But, I also make a decent living so it isnt a make or break feature on the budget.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:32:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Yes, I bought a diesel car and cut my daily fuel costs by 1/3.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:33:47 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Finally, someone chimes in with a good solution to bitching about fuel prices.  I've had enough whining from people driving large SUVs.  

Even worse are the people that believe that fuel shouldn't be subject to market forces.  How many times do we hear that oil hit a record high lately.  The question is, what didn't.  Milk, OJ, meat,...
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:34:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Nope.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:36:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Finally, someone chimes in with a good solution to bitching about fuel prices.  I've had enough whining from people driving large SUVs.  

Even worse are the people that believe that fuel shouldn't be subject to market forces.  How many times do we hear that oil hit a record high lately.  The question is, what didn't.  Milk, OJ, meat,...

Just bought a Jetta TDI. No complaints about fuel here. 35 miles to the gallon, should be over 40 once the engine gets broke in and I quit drivin it like I stole it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:40:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Nope.

I drive a 4X4 truck that gets 19mpg, but my commute adds up to only 46 miles per week.

Normally drive about 80 miles per week.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:42:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:43:52 AM EDT
[#32]
I drive a hybrid car, so the fuel prices affect me less than most. But it also speeds up the payback time. Plus I only stop in a gas station every 2 weeks. (over 500 miles per tank)
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:44:56 AM EDT
[#33]
It don't bother Me too much until I fill 'er up. I can tolerate it like this but wouldn't want it to get to much higher ; got kids to take everywhere you know Eye Doc , schools , Etc ,Etc. never ends.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:46:29 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, I'd love to get a hybrid for daily driving, but a) they're just too damned small (I'm 6'3 and a bulging-in-all-the-wrong-places 240 pounds), and too expensive to really make the gas savings worth it.

You could look at the new Honda Accord Hybrid, which is larger.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:47:57 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
...what didn't. Milk, OJ, meat,...

the REASON OTHER COMMODITIES HIT NEW HIGHS is, in large measure, due to high fuel costs!

do youknow what it costs per acre in diesel to make hay? to plant alfalfa? you know...thats what those milk-giving cows eat? or to transport that milk the the milk TRUCK picks up and hauls to the dairy for processing...or that the delivery TRUCK burns to carry the bottled milk to you???

meat..the same story. fuel and refridgeration and transportation costs have went thru the roof.

now, not ALL items are as effected by fuel costs, but damn near everything is.

i agree with you on the 'solution' to the bitching, though. i got to have 4-wheel drive where i live. i can't wait untill they make a hybred or ultra-efficient 4-wheel drive mini-suv.

Check out the Ford Escape Hybrid. Honda is rumored to be working on some too. You can read up on forthcoming hybrids here: www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybrid_news.shtml
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:50:50 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

The 2004 Prius is larger than earlier models.  I believe it's somewhere in the neighborhood of a Corolla in size, but I have heard from several big/tall people that said it's really roomy inside, and they have no problems.

There is also a hybrid Honda Civic, and I believe a hybrid Accord is in the works.

If you're looking for bigger, Toyota will be putting out a hybrid version of the Highlander in the next year or so, and they claim that they will have a hybrid version of all Toyota vehicles by 2009.

Ford is working on a Hybrid Escape that uses Toyota's Hybrid technology, but I haven't looked into it recently to see how it's coming along.  I think it's been delayed.

Chevrolet is coming along with their Silverado hybrid, but from what I've seen of it so far, it's a very rudamentary system that'll only gain 1-2 MPG over the standard.

The Hybrid scene is getting more complex with different companies using different types of hybrid systems.  You can't just say something is "Hybrid" anymore without being very vague.  Now there's "Full Hybrid", "Assist Hybrid" and "Mild Hybrid", each of which is very different under the hood.

Check here for good info on hybrids: www.priusonline.com.  It's a site mainly for the Prius, but they have a general hybrid forum.  If it's out there, it'll get talked about.  There are a lot of enviro-weenies there, but they're drawn to stuff like this for obvious reasons.  Just ignore the occasional post about the evils of Bush/oil.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:07:48 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
18 mpg SUCKS compared to 68 mpg!!!

damn! i gotta get me one of them hondas.

gas prices ($2.07.9 this morning) suck. period.

i've cut back on the miles driven. i've got better things to spend my money on than a liquid that get sprayed thru the injector nozzles.

this was a wet summer and the grass needed cut every 5 days...the cost of gas used just cutting the grass pissed me off ($15/week or so).

Yeah it does suck compared to that. However if you want to play you have to pay.  I have a 2.5 TON 4WD truck that will comfortably fit my entire family, and I don't have to worry about them being crushed to death if we get into an accident. Their safety is more than worth the price difference to me. Also I love the low rumble of a V8 and the sound of tires squealing.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:09:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:34:02 AM EDT
[#39]
No, but if the price of GUINNESS goes up, I'm screwed  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:38:57 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i've cut back on the miles driven. i've got better things to spend my money on than a liquid that get sprayed thru the injector nozzles.

this was a wet summer and the grass needed cut every 5 days...the cost of gas used just cutting the grass pissed me off ($15/week or so).

Yeah it does suck compared to that. However if you want to play you have to pay.  I have a 2.5 TON 4WD truck that will comfortably fit my entire family, and I don't have to worry about them being crushed to death if we get into an accident. Their safety is more than worth the price difference to me. Also I love the low rumble of a V8 and the sound of tires squealing.

Sure you do.  Of course the mass of your vehicle benefits you in some accident scenerios, but you are fooling yourself if you believe that a big vehicle is safe.  At best it is slightly safer.  A semi loaded with 40 tons of steel or a dump truck full of gravel will crumple your truck just like it was a civic, and your protection from being T-boned is not that much better.  

At least you acknowledge that your decision to have a large vechicle comes with a price.  The frustration I have is when folks buy these and expect them to be cheap to operate.  I just don't get it.  For the record, I have a 4wd pickup with a 350, and like yourself acknowledge that it comes at a serious price.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:42:09 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
my honda crx was one of the most useful vehicles i've ever owned. at up to 47mpg on interstate trips, it was a pleasure to pull up to a gas pump with.

My previous car was a Blue 1988 Honda CRX HF.  That was a very nice car with good pickup and I routinely got around the same mileage you reported.  The best I ever did was about 52MPG on a Summer trip to Massachusettes from Long Island.  When it finally came time to replace it after 12 1/2 years, due to rust and other major maintenance issues, I was really appalled that it still outperformed most new vehicles on the road with the exception of a stripped down Geo Metro and the Insight.  I would have thought we would have made some efficiency progress in all those years.

I became "religious" about efficiency when I was 17 years old back in 1979.  I had a newly minted drivers license and my parents had me get up early in the mornings to stand in the gas lines to fill their cars.  I decided at that time that I would do whatever it takes to avoid having to stand in those lines.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:53:08 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure you do.  Of course the mass of your vehicle benefits you in some accident scenerios, but you are fooling yourself if you believe that a big vehicle is safe.  At best it is slightly safer.  A semi loaded with 40 tons of steel or a dump truck full of gravel will crumple your truck just like it was a civic, and your protection from being T-boned is not that much better.  

At least you acknowledge that your decision to have a large vechicle comes with a price.  The frustration I have is when folks buy these and expect them to be cheap to operate.  I just don't get it.  For the record, I have a 4wd pickup with a 350, and like yourself acknowledge that it comes at a serious price.

Ah yes, that arguement.

No passenger car on the road will hold up to a semi rolling at 60+ mph. My concern is Suzzie Soccer mom on her way to to her hair appointment spilling her Star Schmucks in her lap and her SUV/VAN/Etc with the KerryEdwads sticker careening into MY vehicle. Short of a Superduty/excursion/commercial grade truck physics is on my side in an vehicle accident. I do try to drive safely though. I miss my Saturn SCII and thoink that a Saturn Wagon with the Ion Redline engine would be kinda neat, I don't think I'd feel comfortable in it. Far too low to the ground (feel like I'm ON the ground), can't see over things, etc. I'm just hopeless with my trucks and I'll continue to have them unless my financial situation changes to where I can no longer afford them.

I would have thought we would have made some efficiency progress in all those years.

We have, howefver we've added option after option to our new vehicles which negate those advances.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:54:03 AM EDT
[#43]
nope. but i would like to see 99 cent per gallon again!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:56:49 AM EDT
[#44]
I needed to slow down, anyway.
Now, average about 72mph going to work.
I may speed up just to keep pace, but I drop back to 72 whenever possible.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:58:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Yes, I have less money to spend on hookers and blow.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:58:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:02:50 AM EDT
[#47]
i just added a fuel surecharge to the kids allowance
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:07:04 AM EDT
[#48]
I don't make enough to to be able to toss 40.00 down the drain every four days.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:07:31 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

DUDE!

I cut grass for a living and I can cut grass for about 8-10 hours straight on $15 worth of gas. How big is your lawn?

Maybe it's time you looked into one of these

28 hp electronic fuel injected Kohler motor
available 27 hp carbureted Kawasaki motor with liquid cooling
Hydro drive
zero turn capability
60" (and larger) decks
comfortable
used in a homeowner capacity you would be passing this mower down to your great grandchildren
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:07:41 AM EDT
[#50]

I saw a comparison somewhere that if you bought a hybrid over the "same size" conventional car it would take you about  seven years before you would actually be saving any money.  I think you would have broken even in the sixth year of ownership.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top