Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2004 5:20:53 AM EDT

I work for a huge company (10,000+ employees), each department with their own IT group.  Our particular IT group have very liberal policing standards, so I was wondering what you folks thought the probability of me getting in trouble for downloading some software via bittorrent was.

What kind of safeguards do IT folks use anyhow to prevent things like that?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:25:19 AM EDT
[#1]
not worth the risk on downloading at work.
is a song worth your job?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:27:06 AM EDT
[#2]
not a song.  Perhaps I should add a poll?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:27:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:32:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe, your IT department doesn't care but I'm sure corporate IT managment cares and will come down hard if they found out about it.  

Remember it's the companies network and they are responsible for anything you download and use on it whether they know about it or not.  If you do anything illegal it will be their ass, so I hope you can see why they don't take kindly to this sort of thing.

I guess you just need to decide whether your job is worth whatever your downloading...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:53:17 AM EDT
[#5]

I assumed this response.  Thanks.  I may just wait until I get home.  (main argument was work = T1, home = slow cable)
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:56:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I would can ya!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:07:52 AM EDT
[#7]
dude your cable sucks.  My cable is T1+.  I usually get about 2.5-2.9 MB/Sec.

My ISP doesn't throttle upload speed at 256k or anything either.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top