Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2001 11:12:16 PM EDT
Most of the time I see people bitching non-stop about these, but once in a while you find someone who claims theirs is 100% reliable.  Recguns website claims that it is very reliable with pointed FMJ ammo.  And what about the KG-9 open-bolt model?  I would assume that since it is the original TEC-9, it would be more reliable than the later closed-bolt models.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 11:14:27 PM EDT
[#1]
They're a piece of shit. Jam O Matic. Get a Thompson in 45 ACP and get on with it. (Or an AR which has better range)
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 11:39:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I had one.  Didn't have any problems with it.  It eats Blazers like candy.  My Para Ordnance malfunctioned more then the tec9.  

[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1245816&a=11138786&p=38887462&Sequence=0&res=high[img]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 1:55:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I own 2 postban AB-10s, And I have not had a problem with eather when using factory mags both are 100%. But they both jam about every 10th round with aftermarket mags. They are a fun plinker for the money not accuraate worth a $hit but fun to blast away with. If you go with one get as many factory mags as possible now sense they went out of business prices have went up but watch the auctions you can find mags for around $40 each. I say get one to piss off the antis sense it has the evil aura around the TEC and they wont get any cheaper sense they went out of business. I find the postban AB-10 for around $150 all the time with a factory 32 rounder.
SCAR
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:01:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Also most of the people who claim they are junk dont own one or have never owned one and just go off of what they have heard or if they have shoot one usualy it is with junk mags. Which Like I said is probley the main reason the TEC got the Jamomatic rep. Not saying the people who flame it dont own one but if you read the posts of people who go into detail they usualy own one and defend it. And the People who flame it usualy have a 1 line smart A$$ coment. Just my thought not trying to flame anyone but what can you expect for $150 bucks if it jams every once in a while it is ok with me for the price.
SCAR
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:37:31 AM EDT
[#6]
To be as bad as they are, that is what was used to kill the sheriff down here in Dekalb County Georgia.

I could not believe my ears when the news said that...
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 3:48:35 AM EDT
[#7]
[size=4]I think they come with a free crack pipe ![/size=4]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:32:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I want one. Saw one at the last gunshow, they were about 150-200 bucks and came with one mag.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 6:58:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd love to have one...I'd swap a VN war take-back Tokarov for one in new or like new condition...anyone?  THe Tok is valued at $200+...

Or...I'll swap the Tokarov for a Mokarev and then swap a Mok for it...
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#10]
must buy tec 9 must but tec 9
ive been wanting one for a while they just look so cool
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
[size=4]I think they come with a free crack pipe ![/size=4]
View Quote

ROTFLMAO!!!

[:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Have never seen a Tec 9 but did have a
Swedish-K in 1968. Looks similar but mine
had a wire collapsible stock. Just played with
it, found issued M16 better. Found the 9MM rounds extremely hard to find. Issued side arm
was a Remington 1911A .45 ACP.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got 3 younger brothers and two of them each own the post-ban AB-10.
Both guns broke firing pins...within a week of each other. Me, being the "mechanic" of the family, offered to fix the guns for them...I called Intratec, and they shipped 2 new firing pins to me at no charge, no questions asked...
Service was great but...
These guns "are what they are"...
     ......CHEAP GUNS
Nothing more than throw aways...
Fun to shoot, but as earlier stated, not at all accurate...

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#15]
They're craptacular!  Junkarific!

I had one, and while it was reasonably reliable, it was not accurate.  Fun if you like making a lot of noise, but if you want to hit something, you'd be better off throwing the gun at the target.

On the bright side, they do make liberals hysterical, so they're not all bad.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I had one, and while it was reasonably reliable, it was not accurate.  Fun if you like making a lot of noise, but if you want to hit something, you'd be better off throwing the gun at the target.

View Quote

i used to say exactly that to anyone who asked me about mine. till i got tired of it and traded it off. fun toy to tinker with, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I've fired them and they were perfectly reliable. the question is, do you want a gun with horrible balance, a bad trigger, bad ergonomics and a sissy chambering just because its reliable? Personally, if I was to have a shootout at 25 yards, I would be more than happy to use my 1911 against on of those funky things, any day of the week.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I just bought a preban with 1 magazine for 50 bucks. Never planned to fire it but for 50 bucks I do not expect much. I figured I can make a few dollars on it or use it for swapping material.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#19]
ok, anyone have any experiance with theintratech 22s taht take ruger 10/22 mags. taht would be fun
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#20]
 I don't know why everybody dogs these things so bad .   My friend has one and the only time we have had problems with it was when it was BRAND NEW . Ever since it has been broken in it has functioned fine . It is not all that inacurate either .
  Unbalanced yes espically when shooting with one hand but it is a hoot to shoot from the hip .
  He does have a preban model and original factory mags , maybe this makes a difference .
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
To be as bad as they are, that is what was used to kill the sheriff down here in Dekalb County Georgia.

I could not believe my ears when the news said that...
View Quote

Did they make any arrests on that yet?
[red]  PRK
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Heard a discussion at the range once about jamming.  The rangemaster said that these guns are pretty sensitive to ammo & recommended avoiding range ammo or other reload.  He recommended factory ammo only.

[red]PRK
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 11:50:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I had a Tec DC9. It worked everytime I pulled the trigger. Accuracy sucked though. Here is a pic of it.
[img]http://4.40.8.2/guns/tecdc9.jpg[/img]
[img]http://4.40.8.2/guns/tecdc92.jpg[/img]

Also have a Tec22 Preban. This is a fun and cheap to shoot gun. It a plinker alright.
[img]http://4.40.8.2/guns/tec22.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 12:21:31 AM EDT
[#25]
I had a [blue] Jam O Matic [/blue] oops I mean TEC-9 It was a Hunk of scrap . I liked the mags the real problem is the [red] Firing Pin [/red] its a flat pin and It gets dirty easy If the tec-9 had a AR-15 style firing pin I dont think any one would complaing about the gun because it probily would not jam or mis fire .
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 12:33:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Sorry fellas,

I just had a brain fart from what Rob877 said.

Has anyone ever thought of retooling AR-15 components with a shorter, tube-style recivever to make a RELIABLE and somewhat accurrate pistol (maybe take cheap pre-ban mags, like stens?)

BTW, I think the TEC 9 is fun.  I shot one, but I wouldn't own one, or even admit to it;-)

Just my .02
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:39:09 AM EDT
[#27]
i hear they are junk but man are they cool looki.id buy onecheap just to have it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#28]
The biggest problem with all recoil bolt guns is keeping them clean. The KG-9 / TEC-9 is especially touchy. Nothing even semi-flat pointed will run in these guns. If you convert it to autogettum, clean the chamber area well every time you come back from funland. A little teflon juice does it wonders, too.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 10:14:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Glad to see [b]YOU[/b] here Ironwulf!!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 3:14:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks Chicago.

RE: the 9mm AR.
inaword: EXCEPTIONAL !

At the bald knob shoots every year, this is the Subgun that wins it.

The first mag adapters I encountered were in 81 at the SOF convention in Scottsdale, Ar. The maker was from New Mexico, and his company was Royal Emblem Arms. The adapter took STEN mags.

Since then, Colt has produced the AR in 9mm as a "Sportsman". You have to use one FA to really appreciate what it is.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 6:00:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Let me put it this way:
I bought a PT92 to shoot ALL the ammo that didn't fire through my tec 9.

I still have the PT.
I sold the tec9 at the first opportunity.
Funny, believe it or not, I sold it for $500.
I still feel bad about that but that's what I was offered.
What could I say, the fellow had cash in hand.

I said "Are you sure" and he said "look here's the cashola".

I said OOOKAAYY and left as fast as possible soon after.

I would not buy another!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top