Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 9:42:41 AM EDT
The Broncos game here in Denver yesterday had a B2 flyover. I am trying to think where it would have flown in from. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:50:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I think they usually fly out of Missouri, but maybe someone from the Air Force will chime in with accurate intel.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think they usually fly out of Missouri, but maybe someone from the Air Force will chime in with accurate intel.

You are correct
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Only three bases have B-2's, Whiteman AFB out of MO (homeport), Tinker AFB, OK (rework) and  Edwards AFB (R&D, T&E).
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Only three bases have B-2's, Whiteman AFB out of MO (homeport), Tinker AFB, OK (rework) and  Edwards AFB (R&D, T&E).

Hill does some depot-level stuff on them, too.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd heard that the Brits were going to let us convert some hangars to house them in GB and Diego Gracia.  Supposedly they need to be kept in special conditions.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The chiefs get a B2 or some kind of fly over just about every game.  We could really use some precision guided bombs against our opponents this year, cause we've been playing like shit.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'd heard that the Brits were going to let us convert some hangars to house them in GB and Diego Gracia.  Supposedly they need to be kept in special conditions.

SSSSHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hill does some depot-level stuff on them, too.

Hill does Depot work for all AF aircraft, just like the other major depots (Tinker).  Hill only does parts for the B2.  They are the hub for landing gear, generators and other parts.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess my point was I have seen them there many times.  Not being critical, just making an observation.  Go stand in the Target parking lot in Riverdale and you get all kinds of low and slow flyovers.

ETA: Or get on base, if you can.  Better views off-base, though, I think.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I guess my point was I have seen them there many times.  Not being critical, just making an observation.  Go stand in the Target parking lot in Riverdale and you get all kinds of low and slow flyovers.

ETA: Or get on base, if you can.  Better views off-base, though, I think.

Oh , I don't doubt that.  It's common for the "supported" aircraft to visit.  Valuable as a morale tool for the employees that support it as well as the Blue Suiters and public to see it.  Pretty awesome site to see.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#11]
As I understand B2 missions originate from Whiteman in MO exclusively (at least for now)

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#12]
My Dad lives about 10 miles from Whiteman AFB in Missouri...They fly fairly low over his house frequently. Several of the pilots attend the same Church as he does.

When I was on Active Duty in the Army, I would go on base to get a haircut, use the BX, or whatever just to get a chance to drive close to the flight line and look at them. I got within about 100 yards of one once.

I'll try to get some decent pictures of some of the low fliers next time I'm up to visit him & post them here.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Right now I live about 15 miles from the base,  but a looking at homes right by the base off of 150 highway.   We rarely see any fly overs because we are northeast of the AFB.  I believe most flights generally tend to go south (away from KC).   I'm in Lee's Summit.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:29:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Good story here...

Like I posted earlier, my Dad goes to the same Church with several of the pilots & is pretty good friends with a couple of them.

One Sunday about 3 years ago, Dad & Step-Mom were at the late service. The Pastor of the Church is REALLY a great guy, I've met him several times. He loves to recognize & greet people in the rather large congregation at the opening of the service. Well, this particular Sunday he was doing his usual thing and after naming about 8 - 10 people he paused for a moment. He looked around and stated something like, "Well, I don't see 'Bob'...and 'Ted' isn't here, either...". He named 2 or 3 other folks that were not there. ALL were B2 pilots. Finally the Pastor says, "Well, I guess they had some place more important to be this morning."

Dad said quite a few folks exchanged glances and after the service was concluded, the Church emptied out very quickly as everyone rushed home to watch the news channels...

We began bombing Afghanistan shortly after Dad got home & switched on the TV.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#15]
... Whiteman AFB, Missouri

... if John Kerry gets in office, next time you see it in flight it will be en route to Davis-Monthan AFB, Tucson, Arizona for mothballs
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#16]
A couple years ago at an airshow up in Georgetown (texas), we had a B2 flyover, and an F15 flew in formation with a P47.   Dad went with me, and being retired Air Force, he mentioned someone had to have some pull to get a B2 flyover at a podunk little air show.   It was very interesting.  I didn't have a good digicam then, so no pics. :(   The CAF had one of their B17s there... I was about 20 yards behind the tail when they fired up the engines.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Yup, they fly out of Whiteman AFB in MO.  That's where I'm stationed.  Pretty nice plane, but I see it every day so it's gotten old.  Once you work with it, your opinion can sometimes go down about it, too.  That's all I'm saying.

Kevhug.gif
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Some of you local boys need to go to the MO Hometown forums and get in on the next Missouri Defensive Carbine Club shoot in Columbia.

Or we could just go shooting together locally here at the conservation range on Hwy 23 north of Whiteman too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top