Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 7:01:17 AM EDT
ok, I need some ideas, our professor told us the other day in class that our next "project" would be a report.  It's not assigned yet, he just said maybe we might want to think about the topic over the weekend..

subject has to be about what (a) technology that has benifitted Biology

I can think of a few, but there are a few brilliant minds out there who can come up with something kewl.  something pro-gun/politicly un-correct would be nice

not looking for somene to write a report, just give me a few topic ideas.

thanks!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:02:49 AM EDT
[#1]
The wireless transmitter.

Think "radio collars".
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:04:15 AM EDT
[#2]
How about something to do with dead criminals and gunshot wound channel inspection.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:04:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Even better (edit - than radio collars, don't want to bash tisfortexas) is anything having to with radiation.

Lots of radioactive isotopes used for treating cancer.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:05:27 AM EDT
[#4]
DNA sequencing
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:11:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:16:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Weaponry has allowed the weaker human to survive and pass on its genes to future generations just as medical advances.  How many of us would be dead or never born but for the invention of the weapon or medicine or hell even the telephone?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:32:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Trust me on this - PCR

or...

The Internet is another good choice – because it allows for the rapid searching and dissemination of information.  

In the ‘good old days’, Biologist had to go to a library and trudge through hundreds of journal articles to find one they might need. Now, most journals are online (w/ a subscription), and you can do keyword searches from a computer.

True story – once I was trying to get DNA into a bacteria using electricity (long story). It would never work, no matter what I would do – I cold never get a transformation. Anyhow, in desperation I used Google, and found a journal article within 5 minutes that told me exactly what the problem was and how I needed to fix it.

I could go on and on with other examples – but the point is still the same – the Internet is the best thing to happen in the field of Biology since the graduated cylinder.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Bioinformatics. Biology and science in general, generates a great deal of data. Without examining it to figure out what the numbers mean, the data is basically useless.  So the computer has played a great role in biology, mostly in increasing efficiency.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Microscope

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:13:37 AM EDT
[#11]
one more btt
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Trust me on this - PCR

+1
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:40:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Electron Microscope.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#14]
ok, point me to a place I can learn more about Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)

it'll be either about PCR or the SEM
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Chromatography/ Chromatographs- analyze substances for elemental make-up.
Priceless tool when evaluating  eco-systems.
Finding formulations for  chemicals,  drugs, herbs therapeutic herbs, synthetic drugs derived from herbs/ natural sources...

My .02

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
ok, point me to a place I can learn more about Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)

it'll be either about PCR or the SEM

Make sure you get into "Real-Time" PCR, if you do a report on PCR (real time is much more quantitative). I'm not sure whether you want something fancy or something that actually contributed to biology. Other things you may investigate (which are sexy) would be Micro-Array, confocal microscopy, and howabout MALDI-TOF (matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization -time of flight). MALDI-TOF uses big machines and can get you down to about 1 atomic mass unit of accuracy (compared to the old SDS-PAGE which was accurate to about 3000 MW).

Bread and butter useful tools in biology include HPLC, Western blots, ELISA, and so forth.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#17]

...what (a) technology that has benifitted Biology...

Condoms.  Write your paper about condoms.  Just think of all of the unwanted pregnancies that they've prevented.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top