Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/11/2004 6:13:57 AM EDT
OK, so Tennessee goes into Georgia, beats them, in THEIR house, ending one of the longest home winning streaks in the country, and now have the same 4 and 1 record.

And Tennesse is ranked 14, and Georgia ranked 8????sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankings

I'm not gonna say Tennessee should be ranked higher than Georgia, but 14? And Georgias 8????

that's screwed in da head, man.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:29:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Because apparently the people who do these rankings think UGA's a better team.  Tennesee was better for one game, but at the end of the season most folks still expect UGA to represent the SEC East.   If UGA drops one to AU or UF, that will change.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:30:54 AM EDT
[#2]
georgia got their asses kicked.  GO VOLS!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:33:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Because the rankings are no more than a popularity contest. You didn't think they actually bore any relationship to how good the teams really are?

jwr6: If what you say is true, why do we even bother to play any games? After all, we could select a national champion in September, based on who the writers THINK will win it. Head-to-head results should most definitely matter if the polls are to have ANY validity.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:40:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't ask me...I never said it made sense.   Personally, I think it jinxes UGA whenever they are ranked in the top 10.  Watch them loose to Florida next.

UGA did get their asses handed to them that whole game.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:54:42 AM EDT
[#5]
# 3 and climbing............
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Because apparently the people who do these rankings think UGA's a better team.  Tennesee was better for one game, but at the end of the season most folks still expect UGA to represent the SEC East.   If UGA drops one to AU or UF, that will change.

So its about what writers THINK....NOT head-to-head play.

Gotcha.

Thanx for the explanation.

Lets hope those writers NEVER get ahold of national elections.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I normally rank them in respect to "Can they beat Miami?"
"Can they beat the Sooners?"
So how far did Texas fall after giving up 225+ yards rushing to a true Freshman? From #5 to #11 and they should never have been ranked #5!
Adrian Peterson is from a small town about 50 miles from me and I think he understands the rivalry between OU & UT already!

It's just a popularity contest anyway.

#15 Louisville (4-0) will be playing at #3 Miami this week.
Boise State is ranked higher than LSU, Florida and Ohio State? Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot!

We need a playoff system for 1A NCAA Football and then all these other things wouldn't mean squat!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd wager the all out ass-raping that the Voluntutors got at home the week before from the AU probably still figures heavily in that ranking.

That and UGA fell about as far as I thought they would, which is an awful big drop.

All in all, About right. If UGA and ut play 10 times, UGA would probably win 7 or 8. But the Vomitqueers and Phatlock had a good plan and UGA wa VERY  flat Saturday, which is why you play the games. Kudos to the Michelin Man and the rest of the genetic travesties in Orange.

Unless ut loses again, which in looking at the schedule, and given that Bobby Gaston is STILL the head of the SEC officiating ain't likely, the Viles will get another shot at the Barn in Atlanta.

And I'm no fan of Aubarn, but I'll bet they stuff it in the Viles pooper again. And the pics'll be on National TV for all to see.

Again.

SG

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

UT beat Miami just last year - at THEIR house (IIRC)

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Those polls don't mean squat except for the BCS determining who is playing for the national championship.  Tennessee got shit on last year by the outback bowl, not that they win bowl games anyway, but they were in the spot to be there.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Wisconsin is 6-0, #12  and climbing!

Can't wait until they beat the pants off of Purdue on Saturday! (fingers crossed)
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'd wager the all out ass-raping ... But the Vomitqueers and Phatlock  Kudos to the Michelin Man and the rest of the genetic travesties in Orange.

.... the Viles will get another shot .

And I'm no fan of Aubarn, but I'll bet they stuff it in the Viles pooper again. And the pics'll be on National TV for all to see.

Again.

SG

yer a real class act.

With an apparent fixation for homosexual sex.

Your punishment? You have to be you for the rest of your life.

personally, i think it may be a bit harsher than the crime deserves, but who am I to say???

BTW, what a "generic travesties?" Did you mean "transvestites?"  You even messed up your  perverse insults?

Never mind - I don't really want to know.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd wager the all out ass-raping ... But the Vomitqueers and Phatlock  Kudos to the Michelin Man and the rest of the genetic travesties in Orange.

.... the Viles will get another shot .

Again.

SG

yer a real class act.

With an apparent fixation for homosexual sex.

Your punishment? You have to be you for the rest of your life.

personally, i think it may be a bit harsher than the crime deserves, but who am I to say???

BTW, what a "generic travesties?" Did you mean "transvestites?"  You even messed up your  perverse insults?

Never mind - I don't really want to know.

Take pity on the boor from Bama.  They don't get out much.

I wonder how they even live under the weight of all the tin foil.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:32:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I can't believe someone from bama came to our defense (well, sort of...he hates UT, which amounts to the same thing)

Actually, the presidential elections are a popularity contest as well.  If people voted with their brains, John Edwards wouln't be on the ticket.

And I still think rankings are a conspiracy to jinx the dawgs.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I can't believe someone from bama came to our defense (well, sort of...he hates UT, which amounts to the same thing)

NOW knowing he's a bama fan, it explains everything. UT regualrly beats Bama, and has been doing so for 10 years.

UGA regularly beats Bama but only has for about the last 3 years.

He just hates Georgia less.

And I still think rankings are a conspiracy to jinx the dawgs.

When a 17 beats a 3, and that "3" stays in the Top 10,  the 17 only moving to 14, NO WAY your conspiracy theory holds.

UT controls its destiny in the SC east. UGA will need help. Conference standings apparently don't matter to the B(ull)CS.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ut is University of Texas!

But who did they lose to...?

If you luck out and beat Miami then lose to Eastern Tennessee State? it loses all it meaning.

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:32:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
As I'm an Alabama fan, think I'll just sit quietly over here in the corner - this year.

5sub

A wise man once said "I got nuthin' to say."  

Obviously scaryguy fits more into the "wiseguy" category more than the "wise man" category.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:35:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you luck out and beat Miami then lose to Eastern Tennessee State? it loses all it meaning.

BigDozer66

To know what youa re asking you'd HAVE TO BE at the end of the season. Then OBVIOUSLY you don't need a Top 25 ranking.

YOu said the standard was "who beat Miami? " The answer to that is "Tennessee."  

MY point is - when a 17 beats a 3 in THEIR house, and only moves up to 14 when the "3" they beat only drops to 8, that's messed up.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

#15 Louisville (4-0) will be playing at #3 Miami this week.
Boise State is ranked higher than LSU, Florida and Ohio State? Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot!

BigDozer66

If you had watched Boise play, you'd probably know.  They're actually better than that - they should be higher.  LSU shouldn't be ranked PERIOD, IMHO.  They've lost twice, and would have lost again if Oregon State could hit a f'ing extra point.  (Edited to add - Boise beat OSU 53-34, LSU beat OSU 22-21 in OT.)

Earlier this year, my Alma Mater (Arizona State) beat a team that was ranked #12 in the Coaches poll, 45-7.  Iowa dropped to #24 in that poll.  ASU had to wait another weak until we beat Oregon to be ranked AT ALL.

And I can pretty much assure you that even if we beat USC next week, we still won't get a wiff of the top 10 - we're #15/#19 at 5-0.  (330 PST on ABC, btw.  )

Go Sun Devils!  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Take pity on the boor from Bama.  They don't get out much.

We usually just console ourselves by remembering that we've won more top-division National Championships than anybody else in college football history...  

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We usually just console ourselves by remembering that we've won more top-division National Championships than anybody else in college football history...  

Can we just call you Rome then??? Or Greece? They were pretty good back in the day too.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#24]
[95,000 screaming fans] FIRE RON ZOOK! [/95,000 screaming fans]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Can we just call you Rome then??? Or Greece? They were pretty good back in the day too.  

That might be a good analogy if it weren't for the fact that the Greek and Roman empires won't be making a comeback in the foreseeable future.  If some of our less reasonable fans and supporters (I, of course, am one of the MORE reasonable ones) will give Shula the time to refine his staff, build his program, and get beyond the effects of the recent NCAA sanctions, I believe he can have a great career at 'Bama and we could be back in the hunt not too many years down the road.  

In the meantime...

WAR EAGLE!

(I have degrees from both schools, so I can utter ROLL TIDE! and WAR EAGLE! in the same breath. )
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

YOu said the standard was "who beat Miami? " The answer to that is "Tennessee."  

Ah, I can see the problem with your view now, Mark...pssst...victories don't carry over from one season to the next.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
OK, so Tennessee goes into Georgia, beats them, in THEIR house, ending one of the longest home winning streaks in the country, and now have the same 4 and 1 record.

And Tennesse is ranked 14, and Georgia ranked 8????sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankings

I'm not gonna say Tennessee should be ranked higher than Georgia, but 14? And Georgias 8????

that's screwed in da head, man.

This is a surprise to you.

ESPN is owned by ABC. ABC and ESPN has a know history of stirring up sh*t where Tennessee is concerned.

The mounted campaign during Peyton Manning’s senior year that literally stole the Heisman Trophy away from him because ABC figured having a Heisman Trophy winner in the Rose Bowl would help their ratings.

BigDozer66

The real UT is Tennessee and as usual most important things in Texas are TN imports.

And by the way LittleTonkaToy ETSU don’t have a football any more.

U of Texas is U of OK’s butt buddy
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:27:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Don't ask me...I never said it made sense.   Personally, I think it jinxes UGA whenever they are ranked in the top 10.  Watch them loose to Florida next.

Lets be real guys.  Congrats to Tennessee, but Georgia lost because Georgia played like dogshit, not because Tennessee is good.  

Tennessee did not hand Georgia their collective asses.  Tennessee won by less than one touchdown by stopping a potential game-winning drive.

Tennessee won that game in fairplay.  Tennessee put up when it counted.  But lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Do you guys really look forward to playing Auburn again?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lets be real guys.  Congrats to Tennessee, but Georgia lost because Georgia played like dogshit, not because Tennessee is good.  

Tennessee did not hand Georgia their collective asses.  Tennessee lost by less than one touchdown by stopping a potential game-winning drive.

Tennessee won that game in fairplay.  Tennessee put up when it counted.  But lets not get ahead of ourselves.

I guess that explains why until the fourth quarter, Georgia had only mustered one drive of any substance.

UT's defense shut Georgia's O down.  Mark Richt got outcoached by a mile.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#32]
And BTW, if we do meet Auburn again this season, the result won't be the same.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#33]
GO SOONERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Go Huskers.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tennessee did not hand Georgia their collective asses.  Tennessee lost by less than one touchdown by stopping a potential game-winning drive.

I guess that explains why until the fourth quarter, Georgia had only mustered one drive of any substance.

UT's defense shut Georgia's O down.  Mark Richt got outcoached by a mile.

Yep., But Georgia still played like crap.

Don't get too cocky.  Auburn shouldn't be such a distant memory for you guys to have such a swagger.  As I said, you just might get a chance for another bitch-slapping at the hands of Auburn.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Actually, UGA played the same way they played in every game this season save one (LSU).

Cocky?  Who is cocky?  I know UT's players certainly aren't.  They know the road that lies ahead of them.  And they won't forget the Auburn game.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#37]

This Saturdays biggest game is #19 Arizona State 5-0 at #1 USC 5-0.

This could be the Pac 10 title game.

Go Sun Devils!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:04:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Go Huskers.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I can't believe this idiot is even arguing about this.  What did you expect UT's ranking to be, top ten?  True, Tennesse beat UGA at home, but the game was close.  UGA played very poorly, and was clearly outcoached.  However, UGA is still a better team than UT and the polls show it.  Lets look at the teams.  Both teams have the same one-loss records.  UGA lost a close game by five points.  How about UT?  They were handed their collective asses in a 34-10 loss, which by the way, was their worst home loss since UGA beat them 41-14 last year.  

UGA lost a game it didn't prepare for.  Too many penalties, and we simply lost the game.  But to argue UT deserves a higher ranking is ludicrous.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I can't believe this idiot is even arguing about this.  What did you expect UT's ranking to be, top ten?  True, Tennesse beat UGA at home, but the game was close.  UGA played very poorly, and was clearly outcoached.  However, UGA is still a better team than UT and the polls show it.  Lets look at the teams.  Both teams have the same one-loss records.  UGA lost a close game by five points.  How about UT?  They were handed their collective asses in a 34-10 loss, which by the way, was their worst home loss since UGA beat them 41-14 last year.  

UGA lost a game it didn't prepare for.  Too many penalties, and we simply lost the game.  But to argue UT deserves a higher ranking is ludicrous.  

BULLSH*T

Excuse me but GA was ranked #3 and Tennessee OUT PLAYED them. GA had 1 first down it the 1st half and NEGATIVE yardage on 2 of those possessions.

Tennessee beat the SH*T of GA FAR worse that the score indicated, TN’s defense DOMINATED GA’s offense.

UGA lost the game because they got BADLY beat the score of that game was no indicator of the ass whipping GA took and you know it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Go Huskies!!!!!!!

their game against West Virginia friday should be interesting......
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Hey we just broke the top 25 Go USM! Southern Miss Golden Eagles 4-0.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
As I'm an Alabama fan, think I'll just sit quietly over here in the corner - this year.

5sub

+1, glad to see Auburn playing so well though........maybe they will continue to silence the critics and take it all.......
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#44]
First off, Auburn only beat the shit out of TN in the first half.  The second half was a totally different story.  The final score would have been a lot different if it weren't for the turnovers from the freshmen QB's.  What really irks me is that TN was ranked 10 and Auburn 8.  According to the polls, Auburn was SUPPOSED to beat TN.  Yet, Auburn moves up to 6 (OK) and TN drops to 17 (??).  What the hell kind of logic is that?  I could see maybe 12- 14, but 17?  Anyway now this week TN beats Georgia (#3 drops to 12) and TN moves up to 13?  Div. 1A is long overdue for playoffs!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#45]
:(
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#46]
GO BEARS!!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:46:41 PM EDT
[#47]
So when does Cal next expect to see the Rose Bowl??? Other than coming south to visit the fellow travelers from  Westwood?

The Dirty Golden Bear
Is losing all his hair
His teeth are out
He's got the gout
He knows not what it's all about
His eyes are made of glass
He's losing all his class
So TAKE the Dirty Golden Bear and shove him up your ***
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:28:25 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

You wont have to worry about that anymore.  ETSU got rid of the program.  We're an all basketball school now.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:51:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:50:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Looks like we are climbing into the top 25.

Go Hokies!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top