Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 12:48:36 AM EDT
Im looking at the health plan at work thinking about signing up for it.

Last time I went to a doctor was for my car wreck, and that I feel was a waste of 2 hours of my life.  Im not one to go to for medical treatment, and will avoid it/repair myself if at all possible,
Now I do have some problems, off and on back pain, plus a few other so Im debating on messing with this

Will run me every 2 weeks $5.54 basic or 29.83 for better plan

1.91 for dental.

Asking opinions on if its worth it.

better                                                                      
deductible    500
office visit    25
hospital    20% after deductible                                  

Emer visit    $100              

Max out of pocket $3000

Drugs Gen  $10                      
brand 25% to $30

basic
deductible     2500

office visit     25% after deductible

hospital                                       25% after deductible

Emer visit                25% after deductible

Max out of pocket $5000

Drugs                       25%
Brand                        35%                    

Dental
$25 deductible

prevertative 0
basic 10%
major 40%

Max 1500

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:51:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:54:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Im looking at the health plan at work thinking about signing up for it.

Last time I went to a doctor was for my car wreck, and that I feel was a waste of 2 hours of my life.  Im not one to go to for medical treatment, and will avoid it/repair myself if at all possible,
Now I do have some problems, off and on back pain, plus a few other so Im debating on messing with this

Will run me every 2 weeks $5.54 basic or 29.83 for better plan

1.91 for dental.

Will update differances on paymeny etc abit later

Asking opinions on if its worth it.

These rates seem unbelieveably low.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:55:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, do you have med/den coverage at the moment? If so which plan has the better benefits and/or is cheaper, or do you want to see you own doc etc.

If you haven't got any med/den coverage, the answer simple get it. On many plans if you don't sign up within a certain time after getting hired, you must wait one year, and it may not cover pre-existing conditions.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:56:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I have nothing at the moment, updated with rates
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:59:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Trying to decipher things.. but the additional numbers do seem to change my opinion a great deal.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:01:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Trying to decipher things.. but the additional numbers do seem to change my opinion a great deal.

Damn spacing got screwed up, I'll try to correct
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:02:44 AM EDT
[#7]
$2500 deductible?  Damn that's steep.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:03:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Corrected should read abit better
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:05:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Something is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:09:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Im just wondering if its worth the money.

Consider the odds are 99+% I wont use it.

I might go see if I can get something decent for the pain on the bad days.

If I really wanted to go I got alot of problems, anxiety, possible depression, sleeping proglems plus a few others
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:11:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Would you have $3000 worth of medical bills in a year?  $1100 a year?  If no on both counts, then it isn't really worth it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:13:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I have seen better plans. I especially do not like the cost of emergency visits. The RX benefit is poor as well. Are those the best plans offered through your job?

The basic plan looks like a catastrophic plan, but unfortunately if you have to pay 25% for hospital and emergency visits, that could run in the tens of thousands of dollars right there. The point of catastrophic plans is to help you avoid going bankrupt, but if you have to cover even 10% that can kill you.

The better plan is okay, but again, if you have to cover 20% of hospital costs, that can kill you.

I assume you work for a small company, correct? One of the problems of going that route is they rarely offer good benefits, if any at all.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:14:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Most of us can say that about any kind of insurance we get.  Just don't be like all those illegals putting hospitals out of business.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:16:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, some simple questions, how old are you and how much are you earning? What is your health history, ie does you mom or dad have a history of medical problems? What kind of profession are you in?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:17:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have seen better plans. I especially do not like the cost of emergency visits. The RX benefit is poor as well. Are those the best plans offered through your job?

The basic plan looks like a catastrophic plan, but unfortunately if you have to pay 25% for hospital and emergency visits, that could run in the tens of thousands of dollars right there. The point of catastrophic plans is to help you avoid going bankrupt, but if you have to cover even 10% that can kill you.

The better plan is okay, but again, if you have to cover 20% of hospital costs, that can kill you.

I assume you work for a small company, correct? One of the problems of going that route is they rarely offer good benefits, if any at all.

No not a small company.

The last job I had was free healthcare and I never used it.

Those are the best they have

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:24:50 AM EDT
[#16]
If I were 25, generally healthy, and never see the doctor for anything (like allergies, flu, etc.), then I would go with the basic plan and if something major happens, tell the hospital to sue me when they wanted the additional 25%.

If something weird came up where you feel you should see a doctor, you're basically paying out of pocket until the $2,500 is met, but that's life. View the plan as something you use only for major stuff.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:35:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Okay, on a very quick look, my feeling is get the basic plan based on your age and salary, and that you are healthy. And darn don't get hurt, and don't get into any IAs(industrial accidents).

As a basis for comparision, my son had a siezure last year and the ambulance ride & emergency room services costed $3,000. We paid $300, and the wife's med plan paid the rest. See how your med plan would cover that.

My mom's doctor bill her $75 for each office visits every 3 months.

Dang your plan don't pay for much. You personal stuff is safe with me and will be deleted.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:19:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:24:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I hate hearing about stuff like that, I dont like being a reason for someone to bitch when I decided not to sign up.

Id rather not have the healthcare option and get the extra money for the part the company pays

Looking at the price thats $780 a year, thats an AR a year.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:34:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Considering some prescriptions can cost 100's and a visit to the E-room can cost 10,000's I would sign up for the better one. Not that it matters but that is very cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:41:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Sign up for the better plan NOW!  No one needs insurance for going to the doctor for a cold.  What you need insurance for is when you step in a hole hunting and break your leg, or tear your ACL.  Or for when that new mole turns out to be melanoma.  Or to cover your back when it gets so bad you can't walk and your MD orders a $1,000 MRI just to diagnose what is going on.  Unless you are independently wealthy, take the coverage and never look back.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Well after thinking it over Im deciding not to sign up, dont see it doing me much good
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Get the basic, best for your needs/usage
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#24]
First off get the better plan .  For less then $30 a month you are getting KICK ASS coverage!  And you never know when something will go wrong.  Plus you can use the coverage to stock up in drug supllies.  Just fake any general type of muscle pain, go to the doc and pay your cheap deductable.  Then get a Rx for Vicatin and pay the cheap deductable.  If I did my math right you can get a 100 count pill bottle of Vicatins for just $35!  That's a saving of $115 of the retail price!!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im just wondering if its worth the money.

Uh huh....I never went to the doctor myself either.

Then one day I was working on a car and I heard 5 loud popping noises coming from my back....

Get the insurance....trust me.  You buy it hoping you DON'T have to use it...not because you WANT to use it.

SGatr15

PS  Except for getting the pills...

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
First off get the better plan .  For less then $30 a month you are getting KICK ASS coverage!  And you never know when something will go wrong.  Plus you can use the coverage to stock up in drug supllies.  Just fake any general type of muscle pain, go to the doc and pay your cheap deductable.  Then get a Rx for Vicatin and pay the cheap deductable.  If I did my math right you can get a 100 count pill bottle of Vicatins for just $35!  That's a saving of $115 of the retail price!!

Sgtar15

They are assholes about giving you any kind of pain killer around here, xanax and valium you can get easy but they dont like giving your pain killers.  If I had a chance of getting them Id go for it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:28:24 PM EDT
[#27]
SGatr15 I do see your reasons for having it in that way.  Just for getting pills I added it up its normally cheaper or close to the same price with or without, by the time I add in premiums.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I believe the "Max out of pocket" means once you have paid that much in a calendar year they begin 100% coverage. If that is the case you should jump on the basic plan even if you don't think you will ever  need it. $11 a month is the same as for free! No matter what happens to you, you will not have to pay more than $5000 a year in medical bills.  You can't beat that for $11 a month!!!

Last year I had dealings with two families that thought they didn't need medical insurance. Both dads were self-employed, one qualified for a family medicaid program but was too lazy to fill-out the paperwork, the other made a little too much money and would have had to buy a plan.

Before the end of the year one had a $20,000 hospital bill and the other a $30,000 hospital bill due to their kids being admitted for a few days.

Medical insurance is a necessity these days. At those rates $1440 will get you 10 years of coverage!

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Get the medical insurance.  My brother came down with cancer.  He went thru 2 rounds of chemo, 2 minor surgeries, 2 major surgeries (after the surgeries he spent 6 weeks in intensive care and 3 weeks in physical therapy), plus 27 radiation treatments.  Thank God he had medical insurance.  Don't ever think you are invincible.  You never know what kind of diaster may befall you.  Get the insurance for peace of mind and to not be a financial burden on your family.  Also, strongly think about disablity insurance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top