Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 11:07:13 AM EDT
Did anyone watch the "Soldiers For Hire" program on the History Channel last night (October 9, 2004).

I had no idea the effectiveness of these mercenaries in Sierra Leone and Angola. They really kicked some ass, atleast a lot more than the UN ever has.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw some of it I thought it was intresting.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#2]
They are too cheap, too effective and scares the shit out of the UN.  Hence they got outlawed but the UN.  Without the peacekeeping duties, the UN would lose a lot of their purpose and would not to be anywhere near as big as it is now.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Supposedly, this private business named "EO : Executive Outcomes" placed >300 "operators" in Sierra Leone to conduct guerilla operations against the RUF (SP?) and they effectively pushed the insurgents out, until the UN got their big, fat, ugly nose into it and made them stop. After EO was forced to pull out, the civil war started again and the UN peace keepers couldn't keep the peace (Yeah, like that's a suprise).
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, it was a great show. Very interesting... but I feel asleep half way through.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They are too cheap, too effective and scares the shit out of the UN.  

Yep!........
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:33:13 AM EDT
[#6]

UN got their big, fat, ugly nose into it

They basically threaten the leader of the country who hired EO with sanctions if he didn't end the contract and expel them form the country, of course it wouldn't officially be a sanction.. he would just get no help that was being given and offered to the country.

Inturn, they caused the massacre that ensued after EO left.

With the caliber of those people who comprised that company EO (moral, professional soldiers), they scared the crap out of the cowards in the international community who couldn't stomach the shame of how ineffective and imoral the world could now view them for not being able to do this themself... which is what they claim their job is.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#7]
EO spent 20 million dollars to kick the RUF out.  The UN spent over 200 million and had to pull out when their guys started getting kidnapped and killed.  Come on these guys are supposed to be soldiers.  Also EOs men had 80% blacks in their ranks.  But they were protrayed as being a white South African force.

But now there alot more PMCs.  Look at the number in Iraq.  The SAS and other spec op groups are having a hell of a time retaining their guys.  Why work for $35-45k a year when you can make $200-300k a year tax free.  Not to mention no stupid politicians telling you what to do.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#8]
EXECUTIVE OUTCOMES is the perfect example of why the U.N. is INEFFECTIVE!!!!!!!!!!!  As far as I know Sierra Leone and Angola are complete CLUSTERFUCKS since CLINTON and the U.N. forced E.O. out.  BUSH PULL US OUT OF THE U.N., PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I especially liked the segment in which a former commander in EO pointed out that they did what 18,000 "blue berets" could not.... win a war. I would love to see the USA get out of the UN and boot those assclowns "delegates" off of our soil.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the concept of "Professional Soldiers" is kick ass. The fact that there are men, and maybe 1/2 a woman, that have the balls to specialize in the art of war and then apply that into their livlihood, to me, is amazing.  People that don't risk their lives for principles, country... just money... that is amazing.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:55:19 PM EDT
[#12]
EO is what the UN should be.

Bad shit goin down? Kick their asses with the best soldiers on the planet, no country-bias. Only war.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Soldier of Fortune did a number of articles about EO, one of their editors was killed in Sierra Leone working with them (Robert McKenzie).
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:24:49 AM EDT
[#14]
saw the second half of it. Thought it was a very well done documentary. And I loved how they did what the U.N. couldn't. I hope that they air it again so that I can TiVo it.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:41:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:49:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Sounds fascinating. Wish I could have seen it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:02:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Time to re-establish EO(or ARFCOM army ) and send them to the Sudan.  The murder of ethnic black Sudanese by fair skinned muslims is also our loss.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top