Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2004 11:06:26 PM EDT
Nightcrew, WarGames is playing on TNT right now.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:07:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw a online game based on it I got #4 migh score the first time I played and #2 the 2nd
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:24:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I love that movie. What I find most interesting about it was that at the time of its release, it was probably thought of as a typical kids' movie quickly to be forgotten, and yet by today's standards, it's almost a classic: characters you really care about, a non-obvious, somewhat plausible plot, and it deals with serious issues (automation vs. human control, the nuclear Cold War). If it were made today it would just involve lots of ridiculous made-up "hacker" crap with no connection to reality. But it would have good special effects.

In my personal opinion, very few "good" films have been made since the 80s. Lots of throw-away movies, but few films.

PS I just realized a neat little detail. I think the first scene with Matthew Broderick has him playing Galaga (or was it Defender or Space Invaders?). Anyway, it's a game about saving the world from aliens... Like in Terminator 2, in the first shot of John Connor in the mall arcade he's playing that defend-cities-from-falling-nukes game. It's the little touches like this that I miss about most modern crap!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:44:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
PS I just realized a neat little detail. I think the first scene with Matthew Broderick has him playing Galaga (or was it Defender or Space Invaders?). Anyway, it's a game about saving the world from aliens...

Defender, or was it Missile Command?  I need this on DVD
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:26:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm almost positive it was Galaga.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:29:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I was thinking of playing that today on my lunch.  We got a Galaga mahcine at work
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:30:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You are right, googled:
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:51:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I loved that movie.  Too bad a Colonel had to ruin my hopes when I visited Cheyenne Mountain with CAP in 1995.  One of the first questions he asked was who's seen Wargames.  I was the only cadet to raise my hand, and he looked at me and said son you're going to be severley disappointed.  Oh well, it was nothing like the movie (what ever is), but I did have the dubious distinction of accidentally sitting in Gen. Horner's chair for briefing that we had (no he wasn't there and he wasn't coming)
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Hehe... On the Wargames DVD commentary, they do talk about how the NORAD guys said they wished their command center looked that cool.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hehe... On the Wargames DVD commentary, they do talk about how the NORAD guys said they wished their command center looked that cool.

Yet another reason to buy the DVD.....the commentary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top