BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I think the benefits of Open Carry outweigh any perceived advantages in Concealed.

Benefits of Open Carry:

1) deterrance effect - bad guy KNOWS you are a risk to him

2) public gets used to seeing people with guns

3) easier to carry

4) no risk of accidently flashing

5) darn quick presentation if necessary.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#2]
#1 You also point yourself out as the first target in a "situation".  Thats a personal call
#2 I have hard time believing you are going to condition anyone to anything. People are sheeple.Believe what you will,  I educate "sheeple" all the time.  Not always w/ a gun on my hip but there have been times.
#3 Not easier for me, just the same. On my belt, strong side hip. Whatever works for the person carrying,  THAT IS what is important
#4 TRUE

Just my 2 pesos.....
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Open carry is just plain dumb.  You see it from time to time here in Az.  Most of the guys who do it are wana be tough guys or broke ass white trash who dont want to pay for a CCW.  

I was in a Walmart and about came unglued.  This piece of white trash shit was walking around with a 1911 in a horizontal shoulder holster.  Muzzle sweeping everyone in behind him.  

Hmmm...

I dunno about someone using the word "white trash" who has a screen name of Guns_N_Shizzle...

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Open carry is just plain dumb.  You see it from time to time here in Az.  Most of the guys who do it are wana be tough guys or broke ass white trash who dont want to pay for a CCW.  

I was in a Walmart and about came unglued.  This piece of white trash shit was walking around with a 1911 in a horizontal shoulder holster.  Muzzle sweeping everyone in behind him.  

Hmmm...

I dunno about someone using the word "white trash" who has a screen name of Guns_N_Shizzle...

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Berkley Springs while technically West Virginia couldn't be more different than the rest of the state. We were fortunate to have those counties up there as the tax base from the DC refugees offset some of the really poor areas down in the coal fields. I grew up in Kanawha County up river Jeep29 near Montgomery. I'm one of those that CRC mentioned. Moved out of state after college for work as there was little in the 80's. I miss it at times, but wouldn't go back unless it was west of Charleston and east of Huntington. Enjoy yourself. The whole state is beautiful and you have the best of it all in the panhandle.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#6]
If your state doesn't have CCW, then you have to open carry.

But when you get your CCW, your registered with the state.

Open carry, your not registered.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I wish we had open carry in TX cause its so dang hot down here.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Man... It sucks that we don't have open carry in Texas.  We do have CCW (CHL)... but we have the most expensive fees in the nation for it.

I'd love it if I could just strap my 1911 on my hip when I go to the store.  I'd LOVE the reactions, since my city has a fair share of libs that moved here from other states.  

Not hardly.  TX charges $140 for four years.  That's $35 a year.  NM is $100 every two years.

Think again.

Tx charges $140 for the first four years.  It is only $70 to renew.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I open carry fairly often.  If I'm going to the range then I'm almost always carrying open.  I never get any looks but then people often think I'm a cop even when I don't have a pistol on my hip.

Back in August when a bunch of us from NoVA were going to the range together we met up at a Sheetz on the edge of town before heading out as a group.   There were 15 or so of us standing around at the edge of the parking lot chatting while we waited for everybody to arrive and a lot of us were openly carrying.  Being at a gas station that is right on the interstate meant that there were a lot of people passing through and we were really getting some looks.  There was one guy who spent the entire time his van was filling with gas just standing there staring at us like he'd never seen a person with a gun before.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Gad I love West Virginia. We just moved here a few weeks ago and I finally got around to marryin my sister in Berkeley Springs  No one gave me a second look when I told them.  I got my hair cut and the barber told me to come back anytime, even if I was married to my sister. We went to Right Aid to get pictures, and my sister, excuse me, wife(sorry, it will take me a little time to get use to the change), was overcharged for them and the manager cut the price for us, and was very nice to the guy who married kin. We went all over that day, and no one even blinked.  I admit I felt an added level of responsibility being married. Like I should be on my best behavior, I didn't want to embarass my sis, err, wife.   I felt like a free man.  

It was a good day.  Quite a difference from walking the streets in the PR of Maryland. The very attitude of the people here is different.  People don't call me inbred, and expect the same from you.  I have met some truly good people here, .
God bless America.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

had 2 pistols on the dash, my 1911, and my wife's Glock 19.

Well that sounds real damned safe.    NOT.  

BOth were in holsters, and it is perfectly legal.

ANd it's the best place to open carry in a car. Cop can see it (them) when approaching the car from the rear.

You have got to be kidding me...  I don't know if I can think of a worse place.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#12]
My husband has a CCW but usually open carries, especially when it's warm. He's come to my NoVa, extremely liberal bookstore (where I work, I don't own it) a few times, always open carrying (and usually wearing an arfcom shirt, too). Here is an almagamation of some of the responses:

Was he carrying a gun?
Yeah.
Why?
Why not?
Is he a cop?
No.
Then why does he carry a gun?
Because he can? I don't know. You'd have to ask him.
Can he do that?
Yeah. And so can you.
Why would I?
Why wouldn't you?
He's got clips and everything.
Magazines.
Is he going to shoot someone?
What do you think?
He's got an AK-47 on his shirt.
That's an AR-15.
Man... who's he think he is, walking around like that?
An armed citizen of the United States excercizing his second amendment right to keep and bear arms.

Yes, I've had all of those things said to me by my ever so open minded co-workers. I have noticed, though, that even I get a smidge more respect from those people who have seen my husband carrying open. Seriously.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Open carry is just plain dumb. You see it from time to time here in Az. Most of the guys who do it are wana be tough guys or broke ass white trash who dont want to pay for a CCW.

I was in a Walmart and about came unglued. This piece of white trash shit was walking around with a 1911 in a horizontal shoulder holster. Muzzle sweeping everyone in behind him.

Hmmmmm.

So if it was concealed and carried in the same manner you would never know you were being swept by a muzzle........

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My husband has a CCW but usually open carries, especially when it's warm. He's come to my NoVa, extremely liberal bookstore (where I work, I don't own it) a few times, always open carrying (and usually wearing an arfcom shirt, too). Here is an almagamation of some of the responses:

Was he carrying a gun?
Yeah.
Why?
Why not?
Is he a cop?
No.
Then why does he carry a gun?
Because he can? I don't know. You'd have to ask him.
Can he do that?
Yeah. And so can you.
Why would I?
Why wouldn't you?
He's got clips and everything.
Magazines.
Is he going to shoot someone?
What do you think?
He's got an AK-47 on his shirt.
That's an AR-15.
Man... who's he think he is, walking around like that?
An armed citizen of the United States excercizing his second amendment right to keep and bear arms.

Yes, I've had all of those things said to me by my ever so open minded co-workers. I have noticed, though, that even I get a smidge more respect from those people who have seen my husband carrying open. Seriously.

He must be white trash, or a wannabe tough guy.

Just ask Guns_N_Fizzle.    
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

had 2 pistols on the dash, my 1911, and my wife's Glock 19.

Well that sounds real damned safe.    NOT.  

ANd it's the best place to open carry in a car. Cop can see it (them) when approaching the car from the rear.

You have got to be kidding me...  I don't know if I can think of a worse place.

Approach a car from the left rear. Can you see the seat of the passenger side before you see the top of the dash?
Nope.
It's the most visible place in the car, and the best place if you open carry in a car.

There is no SAFE place to have any unsecured cargo in the passenger that is totaly visible to a cop approaching from the left rear of the car, or even the rear right side.

IN plain sight can mean anything, and I won't get arrested because the cop thought that the passenger seat wasn't "in plain sight"

Now I don't worry about it because I can put a gun anywhere in the car I want, in any condition.
I now keep it either on my side, or under the center arm rest when it's down.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeah, it did feel kind of good.  I've only done it that one time.  I should do it more often I guess.  

They can arrest you in NC for "going armed to the terror of the public".

This law sucks and I would never open carry here.

CRC

I almost always open carry in my car in NC and sometimes stick a holster on my belt.  I have never had any problem with the police.  If pulled over, I tell them that there is a pistol on the console/passenger seat.  Sometimes the officer will ask me to hand him the pistol, but I have had them just ignore it.  I think the going armed to the terror of the public law was aimed at the Klan, years ago.  I have never heard of anyone hasseled about an open carry weapon.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm...

hah, I was actually going to say that yesterday.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Open carry is just plain dumb. You see it from time to time here in Az. Most of the guys who do it are wana be tough guys or broke ass white trash who dont want to pay for a CCW.

I was in a Walmart and about came unglued. This piece of white trash shit was walking around with a 1911 in a horizontal shoulder holster. Muzzle sweeping everyone in behind him.

Hmmmmm.

So if it was concealed and carried in the same manner you would never know you were being swept by a muzzle........

My thoughts exactly.  What's the difference other than KNOWING you're getting swept.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeah, it did feel kind of good.  I've only done it that one time.  I should do it more often I guess.  

They can arrest you in NC for "going armed to the terror of the public".

This law sucks and I would never open carry here.

CRC

I almost always open carry in my car in NC and sometimes stick a holster on my belt.  I have never had any problem with the police.  If pulled over, I tell them that there is a pistol on the console/passenger seat.  Sometimes the officer will ask me to hand him the pistol, but I have had them just ignore it.  I think the going armed to the terror of the public law was aimed at the Klan, years ago.  I have never heard of anyone hasseled about an open carry weapon.

Thank you!  I had an officer himself tell me they won't arrest you.  "terror to the public" would be if you're waving the god damn gun around and shit, not in a fucking holster, going about your day like normal, minding your own god damn business.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
good thing about being federal leo, is that you can carry where ever you damn please, schools, banks, bars (as long as youre not drinking).  anywhere.

only thing that sucks is that unclae sam owns you

No, not anywhere, close to it but there are places you won't be able to go armed.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
good thing about being federal leo, is that you can carry where ever you damn please, schools, banks, bars (as long as youre not drinking).  anywhere.

No, not anywhere, close to it but there are places you won't be able to go armed.

Eh...  Prisons/jails and federal courtrooms.  I can't think of very many other places...

Edit:  And the federal courtroom is still at the judges discretion.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#22]
i didnt really check into concealed carry until after i was moved out of texas. now the texas permit is good in a bunch of other states.

personally i dont care. i've never been frisked, so at age 21 i bought an itph and a springfield L.W. compact. never had a problem, but i buy my clothes to be "gun friendly"

eta:and yeah, that means i carried concealed w/o a permit.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Slam on the brakes or get hit and where do they go?  

Guess that you've never been on 43? Except for greenville. it's open road. Nothing to hit or get hit by.

LIve in fear of accidents all your life, and you have no life.

Guess that you don't like rifle racks either....

I don't care too much either way on rifle racks - at least the weapons are retained, but they do make a nice presentation for a would-be thief.

I guess deer never cross 43?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I guess deer never cross 43?

All the times I travelled up and down 43, I never saw anything bigger than an opposum on the side of the road.

And I went up and down 43 in all seasons, in all kinds of weather.

I followed the law. You don't like how I did it.

The point of it was that I open carried, and had the pistols VISIBLE TO ANY COP WHO APPROACHED MY CAR FROM ANY DIRECTION. THey couldn't claim it was concealed.

And BTW, most gunracks don't SECURE the rifle. I haven't seen a rear window mount that has locks, but I haven't looked at what is available today, either.

I did what I did to follow the law to the letter, and cover my ass.

And  I didn't have an accident while doing it either, so your safety concerns are a moot point.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I followed the law. You don't like how I did it.

It's your business, man.  I don't believe in any crap on the dash, it's just plain dangerous in emergency manuevers.   A handgun?  That''s a heavy object to be sliding or flying around.

My $0.02
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I used to live in Virginia, and open carried quite often...it's nice to have that option...
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Gad I love West Virginia. We just moved here a few weeks ago and I finally got around to strapping on the 1911 and open carrying around town in Berkeley Springs doing chores for the first time.  No one gave me a second look.  I got my hair cut and the barber told me to come back anytime, even if I didn't need a haircut. We went to Right Aid to get pictures, and my sister was overcharged for them and the manager cut the price for us, and was very nice to the guy wearing a pistol. We went all over that day, and no one even blinked.  I admit I felt an added level of responsibility carrying open. Like I should be on my best behavior, and level of alertness should be higher.  I felt like a free man.  
It was a good day.  Quite a difference from walking the streets in the PR of Maryland. The very attitude of the people here is different.  People are polite, and expect the same from you.  I have met some truly good people here.
God bless America.

My wife and I have been looking for a place to retire and we have settled on WV (Summers County). People are nice, beautiful country and firearm friendly.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#30]

I use to open carry for about a year and a half. Had lot's of people ask me questions, lot's of people stand far away from me in lines, lot's of people give me stupid face looks.

So about four years ago, I decided to get my CCW. I now like, the less attention I get.

I thought it was funny one day at a Quick-Trip store. Three gang banging looking dudes in line in front of me. Were loooking real hard at the guy in front of them open carrying. These gang bangers new he had a gun. But my element of surprise, standing behind them, would of given me the advantage. If they would of tried something stupid. Like take the open-carry guys gun, to rob the store.

I agree there are enviroments, that open carry is fine. And I also agree, that open carry into a movie theater. Is just plane ass stupid. And to push the point to the corperate office of the theater. So they are forced to post "No Guns Allowed" at all there movie theater's. Is a real Fuckin Bonner Award. So now, one Ass wipe has ruined it for all of us, that would go to a movie with our CCW. Thanks Asswipe!  You proved your Dumb Ass Bonner Award!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#32]
It's legal for me to open carry, but I don't ever do it simply because it's so very easy for someone to come up behind you and snatch your pistol...   I've thought about getting a security holster, but since I don't think there are many advantages to open carry, I think I'm going to stick with my open top holster and just keep it concealed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The security guard in Wallmart used to follow me around. Dont know what he thought he might do as he was unarmed. hr

he
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:42:33 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

It's legal for me to open carry, but I don't ever do it simply because it's so very easy for someone to come up behind you and snatch your pistol...   I've thought about getting a security holster, but since I don't think there are many advantages to open carry, I think I'm going to stick with my open top holster and just keep it concealed.

Right.  Happens to cops every day, right?

If someone is sneaking up behind you, you already have a problem even if you are carrying concealed.

If you guys are that worried about the snatch, then get a holster with retention.

For the record, I concealed carry using a belt holster, open, and a big shirt over it all.    But I still think overall, if everyone open carried, we'd probably be better off.

Besides management posting a no guns signs, why is open carrying to a movie theater stupid?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If someone is sneaking up behind you, you already have a problem even if you are carrying concealed.

If you guys are that worried about the snatch, then get a holster with retention.

Bad guys know that police in uniform are trained and have security/retention holsters.  If you're wearing plainclothes, they don't automatically assume that you've got any type of training.  In day to day interactions, you're gonna have people within arms reach behind you.  No "sneaking" is required.  Whether it's standing in line at the store or waiting at a crosswalk, you can't avoid people being behind you (well, without you looking like some sort of freak).

If you're gonna carry unconcealed, I highly recommend a good retention holster.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Oh yeah, forgot to ask you what percentage of cops murders do you think happens with their own gun?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eh...  Prisons/jails and federal courtrooms.  I can't think of very many other places...

Edit:  And the federal courtroom is still at the judges discretion.

Let's see, US Capitol, US Dept of Labor in DC, Federal Courthouses will usually not allow you to carry, you will secure your weapon especially if you have an interest in the trial, but all districts vary somewhat. There are also local courthouses that will not allow you to carry, even if you are going there to arrest someone, NO lie. Many other places, like concerts or events will ban you if they like.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I open carried into a Subway in York, Pennsylvania.  I was wearing shorts & t-shirt, but I'm big with a military/PD looking haircut.
The guys working said "YES SIR.  What can we get you SIR?  Anything else SIR.  Have a good day SIR".

Pretty sad when you can attribute any resect you get to the fact you're carrying a gun.
Shouldn't we all get/give respect ant brotherly love based upon our commonality as human beings?
If we treated eachother as true brothers/seisters, with love and respect perhaps then we could all pound our swords into plowshares and live as one big happy family....
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I open carried into a Subway in York, Pennsylvania.  I was wearing shorts & t-shirt, but I'm big with a military/PD looking haircut.
The guys working said "YES SIR.  What can we get you SIR?  Anything else SIR.  Have a good day SIR".

There's a subway in York, PA?

ETA:  I thought you meant a subway station, not the sub store.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Can a non-resident carry openly in Pennsyltucky and/or Virginia without a permit, if such a thing exist?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#41]
i open carried once and only once. it was in a gas station. i had my p-22 straped on my drop leg holster.  but then again it was deer season so the owner looked at me and laughed.
haha im only 19. but that was last year so i was 18 then.  the owner looked at me after got through laughin and asked what was i goin to kill with a pea shooter?  it was in a small little town well i wouldnt even call it a town. it is the only store around. he had  ruger black hawk .44 mag behind him.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's a subway in York, PA?

ETA:  I thought you meant a subway station, not the sub store.

Note the capital "S" in Subway.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top