Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2004 7:37:37 PM EDT
Alright, somebody here ALWAYS seems to have the answer so I  have to ask.  

I lost my wedding band earlier this year while swimming at Myrtle Beach.  Went awhile without one and last month I got a new titatium band to replace the one I lost.  I got the same size I had before, but I guess I have lost more weight than I thought and the damn thing is loose.  it is VERY loose when my hands get cold.  I am afraid I am going to lose it.  I have been to the jewlery store and they will not take it back and titanium cannot be sized smaller.  They claim their ring guards will not fit on a man's band.  I need to figure something out short of tying string around it like the damn girls did with class rings. Somebody point me in the right direction!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#1]
How expensive are they? Get a new one?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, the only thing to do is do what the high school girls used to do with their boyfriend's class ring. They put some masking tape in their to fill up the extra room, doesn't look like the most manly thing to do, but better do that than lose the ring, in which you will be in the dog house.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#3]
It's simple really;

You machine yourself an insert out of titanium with the correct ID for your finger and a press fit OD.  Then you toss the insert in liquid nitrogen to shrink it down a a bit.  Next you take your tongs and assembe the two parts quickly before the insert heats back up.  When the reach thermal equilibrium, you will have a titanium ring with the correct ID for your finger.

Glad I could help.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The solution seems fairly obvious, you need to start buttering your bacon and deep frying your candies bars,  50lbs or so and it will fit good as new.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Put some nubs inside or just wrap thread around the bottom.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#7]
You need fire, get someone to cut and shorten the ring, then TIG it back together.  If you weld it in the atmosphere, it will have all sorts of blue colors (bad, if it was an airplane part).

I have a Monel ring my grandpa made - basically bullet proof.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Mine's titanium.

Or spend the $100 on 100 double cheeseburgers from McDonalds and I'll bet that one will fit.

LOL  don't think I wanna take that route!!

I'll probably end up buying another one..... seems the easiest solution...
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It's simple really;

You machine yourself an insert out of titanium with the correct ID for your finger and a press fit OD.  Then you toss the insert in liquid nitrogen to shrink it down a a bit.  Next you take your tongs and assembe the two parts quickly before the insert heats back up.  When the reach thermal equilibrium, you will have a titanium ring with the correct ID for your finger.

Glad I could help.

for a guy with such a sarcastic wit I am surprised that you can not spell wiseguy.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Clear epoxy in a bead on the inside of the ring should help downsize it.

Start this, and add layers until the fit is what you want.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#14]
superglue.  You won't have to worry bout it coming off.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You're still better off than if you'd gone with gold or platinum.

Better off?  How so?

As in you can drop almost a grand on a nice mens platinum band.

$100 for a Ti band?

No comparison.

If it's your second band (i.e., there's no emotional stake in it), get another band that actually fits.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#16]
That sounds like a load of crap.  Everyone else has heard that Ti can't be re-sized?  I'll call a local jeweler here in Houston (Lathrop's) - they are a very small shop, but do excellent work.   I'm not saying send it to them, but I'll call them and ask it if can be done - even if they can't/won't do it they'll know if it can be done.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
That sounds like a load of crap.  Everyone else has heard that Ti can't be re-sized?  I'll call a local jeweler here in Houston (Lathrop's) - they are a very small shop, but do excellent work.   I'm not saying send it to them, but I'll call them and ask it if can be done - even if they can't/won't do it they'll know if it can be done.

I talked to a few different places.  All of the told me Ti can be made bigger, but cannot be sized smaller...
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I talked to a few different places.  All of the told me Ti can be made bigger, but cannot be sized smaller...

They make it bigger by reaming it out, but to make it smaller they would have to cut out a section and weld it back. Welding ti is a big feat. That is one of the problems working with high tech metals, it requires a lot of expertise technology in the fabricating and welding. The Soviet could steal the plans to the B2 Stealth bomber but so what? They don't have the technology to fabricate and weld all of the exotic materials.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:45:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You're still better off than if you'd gone with gold or platinum.

Better off?  How so?

Financially. Titanium rings are much less expensive than the equivalent made from gold or platinum.

It is also lighter and more comfortable.  And more visually appealing.  God forbid I ever marry again, but if I do I'll get another titanium ring without a second thought.

And yeah, just go buy another, not worth the hassle of resizing.  And you'll have your old one for when the weight comes back.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#20]
OK - I'll still check with Lathrop's tomorrow because even if they can't be made smaller I bet they'll have some solution.  What size, thickness, and width is it?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Re-size it yourself.

All you need is a dremel tool, TIG welder, and atmospheric chamber.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:27:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Just buy another one. But keep that one in case you get fat.
BTW, good choice, I have a Ti ring myself. You can loose it but you will never break it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top