Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2004 1:41:12 PM EDT
In Canada my father purchased our home with the help of the VLA. Basically, it provided low interest mortgages for vets. Our 30 year mtg was at 3% and 6%.
Is there anything like that here?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
In Canada my father purchased our home with the help of the VLA. Basically, it provided low interest mortgages for vets. Our 30 year mtg was at 3% and 6%.
Is there anything like that here?

From my dealings with the VA, most of their policies are geared towards giving you the Green Weenie.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#3]
It's probably a better deal in a high rate environment.  With rates as low as they are and credit practices as liberal as they are, who cares...

It's like USAA.  I am a member because I opened an account as a dependent of a vet.  However USAA doesn't really do that much better than the market.  If the market changed and got strict again with monetary policy, USAA would probably beat it handily by evading some of the standard lending practices.

Interesting that if I were to close my account, I could NEVER rejoin as I am not qualified any more.  I keep the account as a pilot light, as although I don't see an immediate need, I may need one of their products in the future.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes, US veterans are entitled to a low cost loan to purchase a home, we call it a VA loan.

I am not sure what the current rates are for a VA loan, but they are often able to provide the loan with no down payment.

The VA does not actually lend you the money so the intrest rate is the one you decide to choose at the bank you decide to choose.
The VA only guarantees the money if you default on the loan. I have a ZERO money down at a 5% rate.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a bill in Congress, HR 1716, that will raise the maximum guarantee for veterans’ home loans. Current law limits VA loans to $240,000. The bill would raise the limit to $333,700, with future caps linked to hikes in other federal loan guarantee programs so the veterans’ program would stay competitive.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I have yet to find a VA loan that has as good of terms as I can get on the market.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#7]
The state of Texas has something similar
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top