Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/4/2004 6:12:59 PM EDT
I am wanting to know what all of you are using for eye protection when shooting.  I currently don't use anything and sometimes have tried using those crappy safety glasses available at work that fog up.  I am looking for a good set of these that wouldn't fog up or make the sights appear blurry.

Thanks,
Karl
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to use eye protection. Seriously. The cheap ones at Walmart are fine. Or you can go high end. Whatever floats your boat.

"You'll put your eye out"

And when you do, don't come around here crying for attention. But please post pics.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I picked up some safety glasses from a local hardware store, I think they are made by North Tornado.  Anyway they are pretty good for shooting (amber tint) and using for motorcycle riding.  I haven't had a problem with fogging while shooting.  YMMV.

I'll search around for a pic.

ETA Pic:

I paid about $6.00 for mine, I had a pair like above for riding, the ones I have now are the amber tint.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#3]
i already have glasses.  I i try to wear "eye protection" over them.. it creates a hassle..and a distraction.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I picked up some safety glasses from a local hardware store, I think they are made by North Tornado.  Anyway they are pretty good for shooting (amber tint) and using for motorcycle riding.  I haven't had a problem with fogging while shooting.  YMMV.

I'll search around for a pic.

ETA Pic:
www.northsafety.com/images/products/1428/909-113-01.jpg

I paid about $6.00 for mine, I had a pair like above for riding, the ones I have now are the amber tint.

Damn those are the exact same ones that I stole from work to use at the range.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I did look around on the net and found these ones.  www.botac.com/allsafe1.html Do these sound like a good setup for shooting?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Oakley M Frames w/ Clear Hybrid-S shields.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:14:02 PM EDT
[#7]
i have worked on 2 people that have taken direct shotgun blasts into the face while bird hunting.

one had nothing...and was pretty much a looser all around on his eyes.

the other..was of all things a OPTHAMOLOGIST..who happened to be wearing a set of gargoyles.
his XRAY said it all..

the XRAY had a perfect outline of a pair of gargoyles that had no pellets within the frame.
the rest of the face looked like a litebrite. 100% vision.

i bought 3 pairs of gargoyles the next day. 2 for me..1 as a handout pair for buddies.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i have worked on 2 people that have taken direct shotgun blasts into the face while bird hunting.

one had nothing...and was pretty much a looser all around on his eyes.

the other..was of all things a OPTHAMOLOGIST..who happened to be wearing a set of gargoyles.
his XRAY said it all..

the XRAY had a perfect outline of a pair of gargoyles that had no pellets within the frame.
the rest of the face looked like a litebrite. 100% vision.

i bought 3 pairs of gargoyles the next day. 2 for me..1 as a handout pair for buddies.

+1 for Gargoyles
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:33:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Walmart set because the indoor range requires them,  I dont wear them outside though.  I had a SKS throw a round up, it hit the cover and gave me a half circle cut on my nose.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#10]
shop goggles over my glasses, hot SKS steel between the eye and glasses sucks. Probably never happen again but you never know
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:45:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I wear Rayban shooters in polarized gray outdoors , Indoors I wear a cheap plastic clear pair
sometimes
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:23:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't wear glasses when shooting.

Don't buckle up, chew my food slowly or wait one hour before swimming after dinner.

I run with scissors, date women of questionable reputation without protection, and often make phone calls during thunderstorms. I smoke, drink and entertain many vices.

Just thought I'd throw that all out there, in case anyone stumbled on this thread and assumed none of us have much fun.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:24:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Don't buckle up, chew my food slowly or wait one hour before swimming after dinner.

I run with scissors, date women of questionable reputation without protection, and often make phone calls during thunderstorms. I smoke, drink and entertain many vices.

Just thought I'd throw that all out there, in case anyone stumbled on this thread and assumed none of us have much fun.

+1 mostly, I dont smoke, or swim
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:52:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Only Oakleys here:  M Frames with grey Strike lens and SI Straight Jackets wiht grey lenses.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:58:20 AM EDT
[#15]
For shooting I wear Wiley X.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:07:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I will only say this once. You only have two eyes. Fuck that up and you are Helen Keller.

Now, I only wear Uvex. I know they work.

I used to work for a mining company. One of our Quarry Sup's was screwin the pooch and was cleanin around a tail pulley (conveyor belt) Our Vertical Shaft Impact crusher threw a bolt. The throw was aone in a million. Where it landed was another longshot. Right in his set of Uvex's. He showed those at the next Management meeting, bolt lodged in the lens. Needless to say he was convinved it saved his eye. When the last time I talked to Mr. Havens, he had them on his fireplace as aconstant reminder of how good they are & how important they are.

Now to add.....

I was loading a .45 mag earlier this year, when all of a sudden BOOM.....

I knew I lost fingers, and scared the shit out of me.

But at the same exact time, I knew I had my Uvex's on my face and had my eyes.....

I hope none of you trust one of your most prescious possessions with cheap ass plastic. I would hate to read a post where they had to pick plastic and other shit out of your eyes.

Safety is no accident!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#17]
CavVet- What model of UVEX glasses do you have?  I checked out their website and I like the UVEX Genesis.  I think I will look around town in some construction stores with safety supplies.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I wear prescription safety glasses all the time. I have clip on side guards for the range. They look pretty good. Since I wear them all the time my eyes are always protected. Less than 200 bucks for progressive bifocals at Texas state optical. John
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#19]
What would be best for daytime shooting?  I am thinking of either the clear, mirrored, or light adjusting ones.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
For shooting I wear Wiley X.

+1
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Wiley X, though they have a tendency to fog, unfortunately.... probably just the shape of my face.  (Think cantaloupe.)  So try before you buy if possible.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Which model of Wiley X's are you using?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Which model of Wiley X's are you using?

Romer II for me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I use raquetball glasses from wallyworld.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#25]
How much are those wiley x glasses going for?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I will only say this once. You only have two eyes. Fuck that up and you are Helen Keller.

Now, I only wear Uvex. I know they work.

I used to work for a mining company. One of our Quarry Sup's was screwin the pooch and was cleanin around a tail pulley (conveyor belt) Our Vertical Shaft Impact crusher threw a bolt. The throw was aone in a million. Where it landed was another longshot. Right in his set of Uvex's. He showed those at the next Management meeting, bolt lodged in the lens. Needless to say he was convinved it saved his eye. When the last time I talked to Mr. Havens, he had them on his fireplace as aconstant reminder of how good they are & how important they are.

Now to add.....

I was loading a .45 mag earlier this year, when all of a sudden BOOM.....

I knew I lost fingers, and scared the shit out of me.

But at the same exact time, I knew I had my Uvex's on my face and had my eyes.....

images.snapfish.com/33%3B9%3B98%3B23232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D%3B8%3B%3D833%3DXROQDF%3E2323649%3A85466ot1lsi

images.snapfish.com/33%3B9%3B98%3B23232%7Ffp3%3B%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D%3B8%3B%3D833%3DXROQDF%3E2323649%3A85467ot1lsi

I hope none of you trust one of your most prescious possessions with cheap ass plastic. I would hate to read a post where they had to pick plastic and other shit out of your eyes.

Safety is no accident!!!!!!

Great Post

I use Oakley's  

I saw some lenses that were shot with A shotgun.  It was pretty cool looking.  Stopped all the Shot.

Now a question for the .45acp.  How did it go off as you were loading it?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
How much are those wiley x glasses going for?

I think mine were $50?  Bought at Sportsman's Warehouse.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:58:49 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I am wanting to know what all of you are using for eye protection when shooting.  I currently don't use anything and sometimes have tried using those crappy safety glasses available at work that fog up.  I am looking for a good set of these that wouldn't fog up or make the sights appear blurry.

Thanks,
Karl

Oakley M frames with clear lenses. Best clear eye pro out there. They are optically correct, and don't fatigue the eyes. They stay put and don't fog up much.

Sure they are expensive, but if you rely on eye pro a lot (as some of us do) you can't beat the Oakleys.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:16:39 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Now a question for the .45acp.  How did it go off as you were loading it?

If you can tell me I will give you a start for a day....

I called Winchester, as they were my reloads with their primers. The primer was in no way struck, and was not deformed or show any signs of a strike.

They sent me a mailing label, I sent thm the casing and bullet. Still havent heard back from them yet...

Note to self......
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:20:22 AM EDT
[#30]

dillion precision

my guests use a pair of these when i drag them out to the range. I myself wear prescription classes with polycarbanate lenses. So im pretty much covered
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:21:28 AM EDT
[#31]
I use my regular eyeglasses.
I discussed this with my optician and he recommended a particular plexi-type lens which is supposed to be the strongest material available from all the available options for prescription eyeglass use.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:30:49 AM EDT
[#32]
If you have fogging problems,  I'd recomend Rain-X's   Anti Fog stuff.  If you haven't had fogging problems then you don't shoot enough and I recommend more shooting and  Rain-X's   Anti Fog stuff.  

Buy a bottle, treat your bathroom mirror,  take the longest hottest shower you can and see what happens.

Edited to add:
I don't work for 'em, neither do I own any controlling interests (yea right) or any stock ....
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:41:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Oakleys and Smith Moab HPSunglasses The Smiths have 3 lens but I use the clear and yellow on dark or overcast days on sunny day the Oakleys.
These are a good low cost replacement for the Smiths. I have a pair of these as back up.
www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=17418&subcategory_ID=2510

I have been hit with bullet frags all over my body and have pulled small pieces out of my arms and legs. The worst frag I have been hit wih was in the face.
I pulled out a piece of .357 bullet jacket that bounce of the backstop and stuck me in the face. The bullet fragment imbedded itself into my face. It hit about 3/4 of an inch from my eye. The frag was 1/4 inch long and 3/32 of an inch wide. Only a small piece was left exposed the rest was embedded in my face I had to use a leatherman tool to pull it out it was in so deep. It came from another shooter 3 lanes over.  

I respect anyones right to act as they want, as long as it does hurt anyone else.  If you dont wear eye or ear protection thats fine but not wearing basic safety gear screams retard

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:17:15 AM EDT
[#34]
A Kind of on topic post:

I always wear eye protection when shooting, but I had an experience a few months back that re-confirmed for me just how important it can be.  If you've never had an eye injury you just can't comprehend how miserable it can be.

I'm currently restoring a '68 bronco.  I was doing some body work on the tailgate, and sanding down some fiberglass body filler.  I had safety glasses on (one of the few times I was wearing eye protection while working on a car), but there was so much dust in the air that it didn't help.  I went to bed that night feeling like I had gravel in my eyes.  I work in a lab, so the next morning when I got to work I stuck my head in the eyewash.  It helped the left eye, but 5 minutes later the right eye still had that gravely feeling.  Used the eyewash a couple more times throughout the day, but it only felt better for a few minutes each time.  When I woke up the next morning I was just about blind in my right eye, and in agony.  I got up, took a shower, got in the car, and finally admitted to myself that I couldn't drive blind.  Called work, took the day off, and called the ex-girlfriend for help.  

I spent the whole day at home in pain and BLIND.  I could see light and shapes if I could get my eyes open, but I couldn't keep them open for more than a second or two.  I can't tell you how much life sucks without eyes.  Couldn't read.  Couldn't play with the computer.  TV was pretty useless.  I spent the day on the couch listenening to daytime TV.  Blind is no way to go through life.

The ex-girlfriend came and picked me up after work and took me to the doctor.  I'm kind of stereotypically male, and kept insisting that it was ok, and it would get better on it's own and I didn't need to see a doctor.  She won.  The doc ended up digging out bits of fiberglass that had embedded themselves in my cornea.  She used a big ol' q-tip, and then told me that I was lucky she got it all with that or she would have used a SYRINGE!  She wrote me a prescription for pain killers, and the ex-girlfriend ended up leading me through the drugstore by the arm because I couldn't see anything.  I spent the next two days hopped up on vicodin for the pain.  Everytime they wore off I'd wake up thrashing around the bed like a fish thrown on a dock.  

The lesson?  ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS protect your eyes.  I do stupid things all the time (cigarettes, motorcycle, risk life and limb), but damnit I don't want to spend another day without eyes.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:21:51 AM EDT
[#35]
ESS ICE glasses.

Mil-spec.
NSN numbered.
Issued to troops.
Optically 100% correct.
UVA and UVB protection.
3 interchangeable lenses.
Laser lenses available.
Withstands a shotgun direct blast(birdshot) at 35 feet.
Under $50.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:29:50 AM EDT
[#36]
ANSI Z87.1 rated optics.  I get mine from http://www.labsafetysupply.com

I just ordered more yesterday.  Safety glasses are a consumable.  Eventually they get scratched.  It is much better to buy 10 four dollar pairs than one fifty dollar pair.  Put one pair on your reloading bench, one in the garage, two in your shooting bag.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:33:02 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
If you have fogging problems,  I'd recomend Rain-X's   Anti Fog stuff.  If you haven't had fogging problems then you don't shoot enough and I recommend more shooting and  Rain-X's   Anti Fog stuff.  

Buy a bottle, treat your bathroom mirror,  take the longest hottest shower you can and see what happens.

Edited to add:
I don't work for 'em, neither do I own any controlling interests (yea right) or any stock ....

Good idea!  I already have Rain-X for my car.  Didn't think to use it on the specs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:49:19 AM EDT
[#38]
As long as they are ANSI Z87.1 approved and fit me comfortably I wear them.  Oh yeah, sideshields or something designed to protect the side of your eyes is damn important.

I ususally take an few extra pairs when one of our jobs is over.  I've tried a lot of brands like UVEX, Crews, S&W, etc. and I have to keep my purchases within budget.  I've never gone with any fancy expensive glasses since I buy all of mine, give them away to the workers, and save the few extra pairs for later.  

I particularly like UVEX and S&W glasses, although that might change on the next job.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I did look around on the net and found these ones.  www.botac.com/allsafe1.html Do these sound like a good setup for shooting?

This part in the add is the most important one.  

Meets ANSI Z87.1+

That means they are capable of withstanding a fairly high energy impact.  

Direct quote: High-Velocity Impact Test states that ". . . spectacles shall be capable of resisting an impact from a 6.35 mm (0.25 in.) diameter steel ball traveling at a velocity of 45.7m/s (150 ft/s).

You can pay big $ for shooting glasses if you go to the typical sunglass locations and purchase those name brands.  Generally the hardware stores have the best prices on sunglasses that are not only stylish but meet ANSI standards.  

Distortion and other defects can be found equally with expensive as well as cheap sunglasses.  Try your glasses on and try looking out the sides while turning your head from side to side focusing on straight lines.  That is where you are most likely to see distortion.  Holding the glasses out and turning them from side to side is not a good test.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#40]
I use whatever is available and try to bring my own.

Used to clean without them until a few months ago...   when I shot Gun Scrubber (w/ plastic straw) down into my receiver and it came right back into my eye.  man that shit burns.....
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Just my prescription specs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#42]
this thread just cost me 200 bucks
Heavy Glare
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

DAD?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Once on aSLC, UT to Denver run a large buck decided to hit our Accord at about 2am. We were I going 65, he hit passenger side, broke neck on frame between roof and hood, and put his big old head through the windshield. Now lucky for me I had me seat fully reclined(as I was the passenger he would have taken my head off) and also the fact that I had my gargoyles on(face full of glass but my eyes were spared)
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Oakley M-Frames. I've had mine almost five years and abused the shit out of them but there's not a scratch on them.

Sam's Club has safety glasses - 12pr for $25, clear or tinted. I bought 12 clear and a buddy of mine bought 12 tinted and we swapped 6pr with each other. I'm good to go for safety glasses for a loooooong time.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#46]
I looked around on uvex website and like the XC (extra coverage) glasses.  They are basically the same as the genisis but have more coverage.  I have tried on the genesis and that is probably what I will get.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:19:49 AM EDT
[#47]

Good idea! I already have Rain-X for my car. Didn't think to use it on the specs.

Make sure you are using their ANTI FOG formula.  I don't know what the rain formula (what they sell the most of) would do on your specs,  but I'd hate to mess you up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:34:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Safety glasses that really hug the face will fog due to lack of air flow. Try Rain-X antifog wipes found at Wal-Mart. I use them with all of my safety glasses. You may have to re-apply after a while but it works good.
Note: I would be blind right now due to insipient case failure in a Wilson combat if I did not wear eye protection. NEVER SHOOT without it. Sorry for the late reply...did not read all responses first
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:19:55 AM EDT
[#49]
I wear eyeglasses, and spend the extra money for polycarbonate lenses.  I wear an aviator style frame so it's good coverage.   On sunny days I sometimes wear a pair of Gargoyles with a scrip insert.

I have had all kinds of garbage bounce off my eyeglasses at work and at play.  If I ever get the eye surgery, the first thing I will buy will be safety glasses.  Ops
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:32:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Carrera's with poly carb RX lenses

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top