Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 12:47:48 PM EDT
OK I got this weird Greek kid at my work, he told me this story that caused me to laugh in his face. He claims to have gone bird "hunting" with his Greek unkle, his unkle took a "stick" that had some sort of "glue" (this stick is called a Verka) he then put this glue stick in a tree, When birds landed on the stick they got stuck, he aparently caught a bunch of birds per stick WTF?  Sounds like total BS but this kid dosen't seem like a lier and he swears by it.

Any body have any info, cause i've been relentlessly teasing him since he told me.

Update, As i was typing this a bird flew into the the window right where this kid sits, ooh man we cant stop laughing and calling hiim bird boy, he will never live this down.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#1]
never haerd of anything close, but then again im not greek...have heard of some other weird/questionable shit, and would probably file this with the rest...maybe true, but until proof is shown just ask him how the brids are flyin today...AK
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#2]
The used a Similiar technique to capture birds in Swiss Family Robinson that is the only other refference I have ever heard of catching birds with Glue... if you had the right adhesive adn the right location or bait it would work
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#3]
It's legit. It's called bird liming.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Well....it sounds kinda strange but don't dismiss it because it might be true.

When I lived in the bay area a chick I knew told me about a group of guys in northern PRK that hunt wild pig with knives.

ME: "Yeahhhhhh........OK........."

A couple of years later there's an article about it in the sports section of the SF Chronicle.............

I seem to remember that the "sport" was started by transplant Samoans, Fijians, etc. and had caught on with some of the locals also.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't sound nearly as noisy or fun as blowing them away with a 12-gauge.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Hog hunting with knives is quite common hogs are good game to hunt with knives they have a slow take off speed.  Once you get in close a quick dash alongside one can get you in stabbing distance, I have only taken one Hog in this fashion but I have "counted Coup" on several on an Island near here where hunting is not allowed, have gotten close enough to several to tag with a short stick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top