Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2004 11:26:07 AM EDT

Have you ever been audited (IRS)?  With the continuation of mine and many others' taxes done via online programs such as Turbotax, I increasingly worry about the authenticity and accuracy of such programs and wonder if anything could potentialled lend to red flags, and if anyone has hadd any experience as such?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been doing taxes for over 30 years. Red flags are red flags. The fact that an automated program was used is meaningless. The person who supplied the information and the person who filled out the forms are no different if they are paper or automated.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree with your concern, and would like to hear similarly.  When I started using Turbotax and Taxcut I ran the numbers by hand "just to check."  Everything was fine.  Obviously, these are no good  if you have to do that every time.  For that reason, I lean toward the H.R. Block program as they claim they will pay interest and penalties on any increased tax liability resulting from an error in the program.  Of course, one has to say immediately:  "Yeah, try and collect!"
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#3]
So, you think 16 dependents and $3,000 in taxable income would be a red flag?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So, you think 16 dependents and $3,000 in taxable income would be a red flag?

Good lord no!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I use fileyourtaxes.com and they point out "red flags" to you.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I was audited last year because my employer didnt pay the tax that was taken out of my paycheck to the state.  They  paid Federal, but somehow forgot to pay the state.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#7]
So what is this "tax" thing i keep hearing about?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I had heard that an audit was less likely if you filed electronically.

Probably just an internet rumor, but I still do it to get my money back faster.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:01:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So what is this "tax" thing i keep hearing about?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top