Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 9:06:05 AM EDT

17yo girl runs for mayor of MN town

I was struck by this quote from
the girl in question:

Feehan-Nelson said that if she receives the highest number of votes but is not certified, she is prepared to take the matter to court.

"I doubt the judge would be able to say no to the popular vote," she said. "The people's right to choose prevails over (state law)."

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Um, a mayoral candidate who advocates disregarding the law because it interferes with her wishes?

We have names for people like that, and that's why WE ARE A NATION OF LAWS!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't want Civic Classes - they would be run by Liberals.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess I was lucky. My civics teacher was pretty conservative, looking back on things. Even mentioned owning a gun for home protection.

That 17 year old girl is NOT running on a republican/conservative ballot, I'd bet.........a used condom on it. She should be sentanced to remedial civics class.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not entirely sure that the state can dictate election age to its towns. Unless it is in the state constitution.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't want Civic Classes - they would be run by Liberals.

+1

I teach my kids Civics...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm not entirely sure that the state can dictate election age to its towns. Unless it is in the state constitution.

Sure they can. Cities, counties, townships, etc, are all legally creations of the state and may be regualted by the state in any way the state sees fit.

Sounds like you are also in need of a civics lesson.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I think she needs to go back to class, get a tattoo right above her butt, and run after at least 1 more year and 200 more football player horizontal-polkas. It'll teach her the basics of getting assraped by the citizenry because she does a terrible job.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I think she needs to go back to class, get a tattoo right above her butt, and run after at least 1 more year and 200 more football player horizontal-polkas. It'll teach her the basics of getting assraped by the citizenry because she does a terrible job.

Ass-raped by the citizenry?  All I ever hear about is people being ass-raped by government.  The citizenry is much more laissez faire.

Okay, maybe not football players...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Article VII, Sec. 6 of the Minnesota Constitution:  
ELIGIBILITY TO HOLD OFFICE. Every person who by the provisions of this article is entitled to vote at any election and is 21 years of age is eligible for any office elective by the people in the district wherein he has resided 30 days previous to the election, except as otherwise provided in this constitution, or the constitution and law of the United States.

RTFC - Read the ****ing Constitution.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Article VII, Sec. 6 of the Minnesota Constitution:  
ELIGIBILITY TO HOLD OFFICE. Every person who by the provisions of this article is entitled to vote at any election and is 21 years of age is eligible for any office elective by the people in the district wherein he has resided 30 days previous to the election, except as otherwise provided in this constitution, or the constitution and law of the United States.

[liberal]That part discriminates against non-adult persons and doesn't reflect the spirit of fairness that the authors of the Minnesota constitution tried to instill. It should be disregarded.[/liberal]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

She is 17 and a product of the public
schools. Why would you assume that
she knows how to read?

Maybe if it were converted to SMS speak:

ELIGIBILITY 2 HOLD OPIS. evry prsn hu by d provisions of DIS RtikL iz entitled 2 vote @ NE election & iz 21 yr.z of age iz eligible 4 NE OPIS elective by d ppl n d district wherein he hz resided 30 dAz previous 2 d election, except az otherwise provided n DIS constitution, o d constitution & law of d United st8z.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top