Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 7:49:32 AM EDT
My 1990 civic is burning a little oil and a lot of coolant. I can smell burning coolant pretty strong from the tailpipe. My research suggests this is probably a blown head gasket. Any other opinions?

How much is a head gasket replacement going to cost me?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:50:29 AM EDT
[#1]
What does your oil look like?  Is it foamy like diahrea?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I haven't checked that yet. I'm at college no tools no space to work on it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:52:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't checked that yet. I'm at college no tools no space to work on it.

Well your probably right on.  When you get time check oil for contamination.  Good luck. These engines are actually pretty simple once you get all the vacum lines off.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#4]
You need to check the oil SOON!  ethelyne glycol (Anti-freeze) will eat engine bearings like there's no tomorrow.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:05:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Would the diarrhea-like consistency show up on the dip stick? I check it every time I drive the thing and I haven't notice anything yet.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#6]
you can't open the lid where you put the oil in?  Sorry, I've never worked on Civics before.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Is it overheating? Is it running a little hotter than normal? I am guessing the head gasket is going, but the thermostat may be bad and causing the coolant the not cycle fast enough and at too hot a temp. It will evaporate fast that way. But again I state I suspect a head gasket mainly.

I don't know about your area, but a head gasket around here in Phoenix I can get done for between $300 to 600. Is your motor a 1.6 or a 1.5? I may still have a head/top end gasket kit around from one of my old civics. LMK
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:22:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Nope temperature is pretty consistent it sits just below the halfway mark.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Head gasket.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info guys. I am just as happy as I can be. I talked to a mechanic buddy of mine and he gave me some things to look at, long story short I found a pin hole in a one of the heater hoses that drips pretty good when it gets hot. I think that is where the coolant is going. Thanks for all the help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top