Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2004 4:31:28 PM EDT
Several months ago I went to Wal-Mart to buy a TV, mine had finally gone out after many years of faithfull service. I have a bad back and have difficutly lifting heavy objects, so when I couldn't find an associate to help load up a TV on the cart, I decided to try it myself. I positioned the cart by the TV and as I walked around the cart I tripped and fell. Next thing I know there's blood everywhere, I had hit my head and was bleeding.

In mere monents panic Wal-Mart employees converged on me telling to stay down. But by this time a crowd as forming and I was the center of attention. I told the employees that I wanted to get away from all this attention and wash the blood of me. So they got me a wheel chair and took me to the back, where they called an ambulance.

After I had finished washing up, I came out of the restroom and the paramedics were waiting for me with a strecher. They were insistant on taking me to the hospital. But I stood my ground and declined. I was okay and was starting to get a little annoyed with them. When the paramedics saw that I wasn't going to go with them, they had me sign some papers. Then they left.

As I was about to leave the Wal-Mart manager informed me that the paramedics told her that in the event I was to refuse treatment  Wal-Mart was to keep me here until the police arrived. WTF? Were they going to keep there by force? I just ignored her and left.

The next day or so, I got a call from Corporated Headquaters(I think) and they asked if I were going to sue them. Of course not I said. It was my fault that I fell. Yet people at work told me to sue and get some money.

What would you have done?
I think I did the right thing. If you're to blame accept responsibility and don't blame others.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Took the ambulance ride and called a lawyer. Once you sign that waiver you have no claim to anything, also, jus because you THINK you are alright, you may not. Head injuries are not be joked about. People have died in their sleep as a result. Go see a doc and get cat scan.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Personal accountability is rare in the world today. You did the right thing.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Sue for ammo . . . .
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#5]
There's no doubt you did the right thing, and any HONEST person would have done exactly the same.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Your a white person...right?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What grounds could you sue on?  Suing would be stupid in this case, IMO.

There are 1000s of lawyers in the phone-book who would have been happy to help him find those grounds, and WalMart would have settled out of court for a nice bag of cash.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What's that meant to imply?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Several months ago I went to Wal-Mart to buy a TV, mine had finally gone out after many years of faithfull service. I have a bad back and have difficutly lifting heavy objects, so when I couldn't find an associate to help load up a TV on the cart, I decided to try it myself. I positioned the cart by the TV and as I walked around the cart I tripped and fell. Next thing I know there's blood everywhere, I had hit my head and was bleeding.

In mere monents panic Wal-Mart employees converged on me telling to stay down. But by this time a crowd as forming and I was the center of attention. I told the employees that I wanted to get away from all this attention and wash the blood of me. So they got me a wheel chair and took me to the back, where they called an ambulance.

After I had finished washing up, I came out of the restroom and the paramedics were waiting for me with a strecher. They were insistant on taking me to the hospital. But I stood my ground and declined. I was okay and was starting to get a little annoyed with them. When the paramedics saw that I wasn't going to go with them, they had me sign some papers. Then they left.

As I was about to leave the Wal-Mart manager informed me that the paramedics told her that in the event I was to refuse treatment  Wal-Mart was to keep me here until the police arrived. WTF? Were they going to keep there by force? I just ignored her and left.

The next day or so, I got a call from Corporated Headquaters(I think) and they asked if I were going to sue them. Of course not I said. It was my fault that I fell. Yet people at work told me to sue and get some money.

What would you have done?
I think I did the right thing. If you're to blame accept responsibility and don't blame others.

While you did trip on your own, the store should have provided the man power to help you get your purchase out of the store safely. They should share some of the blame unless you did not make an effort to ask for help. Even so, I would not have sued either.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

a shade darker I'd say.

si senor.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If he would have sued.. he would have been one of those people we curse every day for a junk lawsuit.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's that meant to imply?

Not implying anyhting.  just asking a question to see if my hunch is right or not.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got just the people for you here ! Help Is On The Way... good luck.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If he would have sued.. he would have been one of those people we curse every day for a junk lawsuit.

That did ocure to me. Hard to go on about being a conservative and anti-liberal if I'm willing to blame others for my own clummisiness. I'm glad I didn't sue.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#17]
It wouldn't have hurt to see a doctor.
other people were concerned for you.
you still would've been able to do the right thing.
I know you were embarrased.
If one of your loved ones would've had the same thing happen-
I think you 'd have had them checked.

I'm glad to hear you're well
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Good for you!

You probably should go to the doctor and get it looked at...
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#19]
You are rare.  
However you  should worry about being sent a bill for the "Bio Hazard clean up."   The mental trauma caused to the associates.   Etc.

Oh and they will probabaly bar you from their premises nation wide.

Just kidding.   Thanks for being a good example.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I think you should have taken the ride to the hospital to get checked out just to make sure that there weren't any serious head injuries. Sometimes after a head injury people feel perfectly fine and then BAM a day or two later they go unconcious or even die. Not common, but it can happen.

As for not suing, way to go. You did the right thing. I can't stand all the sue happy idiots in the world today looking to abuse the leagal system to rob people.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Actually I did go see a doctor. My sister works there and Wal-Mart called her at home. So my family insisted that I go. Waited in the waiting room for about 4 hours and saw the doc for about 10 mins. "Looks okay t me, I wouldn't worry about it" he said.

His sage advice and a tentnes(sp?) shot cost me $100.  Sometimes it's just best to go with your insticts.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#22]
You are to be commended for not blaming someone else for your actions. Why can't more people just admit "I goofed" and get on with life? I would have done the same.

I tip my hat to you, sir.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#23]
thanks guys. It's nice to know most of you would've done the same.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#24]
You did the right thing.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#26]
You did the right thing. A lawsuit would have been a simple grab for someone else's money.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Took the ambulance ride and called a lawyer. Once you sign that waiver you have no claim to anything, also, jus because you THINK you are alright, you may not. Head injuries are not be joked about. People have died in their sleep as a result. Go see a doc and get cat scan.

OH NO YOURE GONNA DIE!!!  I thought the rule was if you dont hurt or feel weird than your okay?  Why pay for a cat scan?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't think they would have done a discount on that big screen TV like that one guy said.

Last Thanksgiving they had the 6am sale on Black Friday, and dvd players were $29!!!! (big deal, they were the crappy ones that were normally 49 at that time, you save a whopping 20 bucks).

Anyway, people lined up hours before opening, and when the doors opened, the stampede for the goodies was insane. One lady got trampled trying to get to the crappy DVD players (I'm not making this up) and they had to call the paramedics and everything. She was sent to the hospital and turns out she had a mild concussion or something like that. Not just a minor wound.
The store managers response?
He told the News crew that "he would hold one of the DVD players aside and would honor the sale price just for her!"
Woo Woo!

Another Wallyworld had a fistfight break out in the tv department over those damn dvd players.  They should outlaw those things!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#29]
If Walmart headquarters ever calls me I would say. Why does'nt Walmart respond to my emails? Why is there less elastic in the underwear? Why does the toast get stuck in my toaster? Why, in the last 3 months 3 different hose nozzles leak/spray the user. Why does my alarm clock's backlight not work. Why does'nt walmart take these broken items back. Why does my girlfriend keep buying this junk. Damn my back hurts!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I don't think they would have done a discount on that big screen TV like that one guy said.

Last Thanksgiving they had the 6am sale on Black Friday, and dvd players were $29!!!! (big deal, they were the crappy ones that were normally 49 at that time, you save a whopping 20 bucks).

Anyway, people lined up hours before opening, and when the doors opened, the stampede for the goodies was insane. One lady got trampled trying to get to the crappy DVD players (I'm not making this up) and they had to call the paramedics and everything. She was sent to the hospital and turns out she had a mild concussion or something like that. Not just a minor wound.
He told the News crew that "he would hold one of the DVD players aside and would honor the sale price just for her!"
Woo Woo!

Another Wallyworld had a fistfight break out in the tv department over those damn dvd players.  They should outlaw those things!

lol, reminds me of the time a friend of mine got sick from eating at Wata-Burger. He called to complained and they offered to give him discount coupons for his next visit!!

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Woo Woo!

IIRC, it later turned out that she was a fraud, who had numerous times before pretended to get hurt and then tried to sue stores.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#32]

You did the right thing. Responsibility hurts sometimes.

Of course the ambulance chasers around here will take your unwillingness to sue as a sure sign of a closed head injury!!!

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:52:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

+1  

You do need to be little more careful, though!!  

And the tetanus shot wasn’t a bad idea.  You’ll never know, but that might have been the best $100 you ever spent.

Hope you heal up fast!!

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Buwuhahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Very true , BUT I still would have had my head checked out just to be posative . I mean have you seen the drivel you post here now ?  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Unfortunately,  if you need care your insurance company is going to be looking for someone else to pay - and you may have mucked that up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#37]
I have fallen many times, if its my fault I deal with it
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Woo Woo!

I remember that wasnt that in Florida IIRC?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Woo Woo!

Your Walmart Closes?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top