Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2004 10:28:50 AM EDT
I have had the 700 for a while, and its very comfortable (but does get hotter than a jungle boot) I like it for road marching but its also heavy.  Mine are all wore out and I was thinking of adding a ripple sole to them. My idea was this, the sole has (what looks like) 2 layers, you have a thick soft layer of rubber and then  a harder layer with a tread pattern.

What if I had them take off the tread and put a ripple sole. Is that a stupid idea?? I think it would make a really comfortable boot.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:37:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I put some ripples on a pair of Corcorran II"s that I had for the longest time and it made for some bad ass looking super comfy boots.  still got them, though they need a new set of ripples soon.

but the ultimate in comfy for boots has to be the Wellco factory ripple sole jungles, these things are like tennis shoes, and the Army approves of them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a pair but dont really like them, first they are ugly and I don't think they look like a military boot, second they are heavy and hard to run in.

Have you ever tried a issue boot with a ripple sole they are pretty comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

but the ultimate in comfy for boots has to be the Wellco factory ripple sole jungles, these things are like tennis shoes, and the Army approves of them.

does wellco still make those? I looked on their site and couldn't find them.

1911 these are pretty good for the money. wellco.com/html/cmvb04.html
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

does wellco still make those? I looked on their site and couldn't find them.

1911 these are pretty good for the money. wellco.com/html/cmvb04.html

linky

I've got a pair in green, wish I bought a pair in black though, you have to be really neat about how you polish greens or it will discolor the fabric.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#5]
nice, so they worth the 80 bucks?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

yeah there good, but the ripple toe doesn't give you as much traction in mud as you would think
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#7]
No kidding man.. I just did a 12 mile roadmarch for EIB testing (which I failed ).. the first few miles was nothing but mud.  I had some leg boots with ripple soles on and it was like fucking ice skates.

Ripples are great for everyday use, but onces it gets muddy you better hope you have some other boots around.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No kidding man.. I just did a 12 mile roadmarch for EIB testing (which I failed ).. the first few miles was nothing but mud.  I had some leg boots with ripple soles on and it was like fucking ice skates.

Ripples are great for everyday use, but onces it gets muddy you better hope you have some other boots around.

ahh that sucks, i hear its pretty tough though.

What part got you? I heard hand grenades gets alot of people.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#9]
The actual testing hasn't really started, we are just going thru the pre-requisites.

We've done land nav (easy), M4 qualification(38/40 first try), and the road march.  I've failed the march twice... I have one more try.  We are doing it in a platoon formation this time with our platoon sergeant pacing it.  I should be able to pass this time.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The actual testing hasn't really started, we are just going thru the pre-requisites.

We've done land nav (easy), M4 qualification(38/40 first try), and the road march.  I've failed the march twice... I have one more try.  We are doing it in a platoon formation this time with our platoon sergeant pacing it.  I should be able to pass this time.  We'll see.

I remember one guy kicked ass on the march but almost forgot how to do the function check at the end!

its 12 miles in how many minutes?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#11]
12 miles in 3 hours.

Not impossible by any means, but certainly not easy.  My battalion had about a 70% fail rate.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
12 miles in 3 hours.

Not impossible by any means, but certainly not easy.  My battalion had about a 70% fail rate.

well its a pretty good pace, I know they always shoot for 4mph but usually you get a couple breaks.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I dont think there that much better than regular jungles but they do look high speed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top