Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/30/2004 3:33:44 PM EDT
Would you want a predominantly Spanish speaking state admited into the Union?

Poll coming
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Rmember, Latino's are the racial majority in CA. Us whities are a minority.

John
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#3]
California was invaded by the Mexicans. It was made into a Spanish-State, this would be a state with a spanish cultural history.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I voted no, but not for the reason given.

I voted no because then we would have a state (edited by EdSr)  it'd make California look like a gleaming jewel of intelligence....
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Poll coming

Almost every Puerto Rican I know (which isn't all that many) speaks fluent English &  acts basically like any other American, they already have citizenship right? Hell, the biggest gripe I have is that it would change the flag.

In my experiance they are VERY different than Mexicans.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Puerto Ricans seem to have a history of shooting themselves in the foot.  Most recent: the Navy Base closing.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#7]
You have'nt been to Texas lately,

The Bank my wife works at is printing their Bank Information in Spanish now and putting it before the English translation.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Should Puerto Rico become a state?

Bring 'em on !
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:42:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I voted yes, but not for the reason given
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone who thinks its a good idea should go to Montreal for a week and only speak English to a bunch of people who only understand french.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Let PR residents pay income tax. Will get rid of a lot of subsidies.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I just think if we admitted Puerto Rico to the Union, they would become our Quebec. We NEED to make English our official language.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Poll coming

Almost every Puerto Rican I know (which isn't all that many) speaks fluent English &  acts basically like any other American, they already have citizenship right? Hell, the biggest gripe I have is that it would change the flag.

You must not know many....

ETA: Kubins kant reed!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I voted no because then we would have a state (edited) it'd make California look like a gleaming jewel of intelligence....

+1 Also, a lot more folks on welfare. Get the F*^k outta here with PR AND DC statehood.
    Don't even think about it
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I voted no because it would screw up your nicely symmetrical flag  .  Ya gotta wait until you have a good number, and then let them all in at once.  So maybe add Guam, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, British COlumbia, etc - all at once and get a nice round number again.

Maybe Denmark could sell you Greenland if you ever need an extra state
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#16]
DC statehood is another thing that bugs the shit our of me. It was created to be a Federal City. Statehood was never planned, in fact it was the reason it was created, so no state would have and upper hand in the federal gov't.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I voted no only because it would mess up the pretty arrangement of our Stars on Old Glory.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I just think if we admitted Puerto Rico to the Union, they would become our Quebec. We NEED to make English our official language.

+1 and eliminate multilingual government communication except for law enforcement. Why the hell do we let people who can't read a newspaper or a statute book vote?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#19]
We should NEVER print ballots in espanol.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Actually the people of P.R. do not want statehood. Only a few people are actually clamoring for it. The people of P.R had a chance to vote on a non-binding resolution for statehood, and it lost.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually the people of P.R. do not want statehood. Only a few people are actually clamoring for it. The people of P.R had a chance to vote on a non-binding resolution for statehood, and it lost.

That is good.

Edit: Post 666, I guess I am the antichrist.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Increase the empire...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Increase the empire...

but we are not an empire, we are a republic.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
DC statehood is another thing that bugs the shit our of me. It was created to be a Federal City. Statehood was never planned, in fact it was the reason it was created, so no state would have and upper hand in the federal gov't.

The thing to do is to draw a line around the Mall & the major gov't building (White House, Capitol, SCt) and cede everything outside the line back to Md & Va.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The thing to do is to draw a line around the Mall & the major gov't building (White House, Capitol, SCt) and cede everything outside the line back to Md & Va.

Good Idea.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Colo. requires spanish to be taught in all
of our schools. So everyone can get on welfare
and recived free medical care.

Be armed or be dead
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Increase the empire...

They already belong to us, State or not.
I thought they didn't want to be a state as they already have all of the benefits of statehood, without any of the responsibilities, no?
I vote for adding Canada less Quebec to the US. I'm pretty sure Quebec doesn't mind. Ottawa might care, but I don't think most Canadians care about Ottawa.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Increase the empire...

I thought they didn't want to be a state as they already have all of the benefits of statehood, without any of the responsibilities, no?
I vote for adding Canada less Quebec to the US. I'm pretty sure Quebec doesn't mind. Ottawa might care, but I don't think most Canadians care about Ottawa.

It doesnt bug you that if we added Canada the democrats would win every election.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#29]

English would become the official language of PR if it became a state.  That is one of the arguments the PR's make against becoming a state - that they dont want to lose their native language.  The real reason is that the receive a ton of money each year from the US which a group of thugs sit around and figure out how to spend.  We protect them, they can have an olympic team, they don't have to pay Fed taxes, we run the airports, the park service, and the post office.  Yea they can't vote, but they don't care.  They get more benefits by being a territory.

I have been to the Island a couple of times for business, and what struck the most is there are 2 societies:  those that have $ and those that don't.  I saw very little evidence of a middle class.  Lots of poverty and unemployed.  

Its a beautiful country, but I believe it would end up being one of the worst welfare societies in the country.  It would definitely be a BLUE state.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#30]
we should just kick them out.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I voted no because then we would have a state (edited) it'd make California look like a gleaming jewel of intelligence....

Ouch! I don't know which reason I need to be offended by that statement.

That I'm a puertorrican (as well as all my family)

Or that you are not that far from the truth.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#32]
here's a reminder for this and your other post on a previous thread :

Code of Conduct :

General Guidelines
1.) Posting derogatory comments of a racial, religious, or sexual nature. This includes your username, signature line, and title. Site Staff and Moderators reserve the right to edit these items and to remove your ability to modify them in the future.

You know I should'nt explain this because you are too ignorant and probably to dumb to understand the true history of our nation.

This country is made of immigrants who came to this country speaking a different language. heck I bet unless your an americanI Indian your people came on a boat too. They probably had to learn the language and customs as well , but never forgetting their own.

maybe you should go to DC or check your history books and you'll find that tens of thousands of americans of hispanic decent have paid the ultimate price so a no time on this board , troll  (edited) like you can spout your bullshit.

Oh yeah and by the way , since you are an ignorant jack-ass newbee you may want to know that the people who OWN AND STARTED THIS WONDERFUL BOARD ARE CUBAN !!

moderators please lock this thread and the one which he admits to being a racist

His words :

yes i am a blatant racist who hates all people who dont speak english. Its not the fact that our nation was founded as an english speaking nation and english is ingrained in our culture. Its not the fact that i dont think America should become like Canada where the bilingualism is one of the great divides in thier country. Its not the fact that a nation that doesnt share a language can hardly be united. Its the fact that i hate all Spanish speaking people. I wish that the entire south american continent would be wiped off the face of the planet.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Rmember, Latino's are the racial majority in CA. Us whities are a minority.

John

Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2000 (b)     32.4%
White persons, not of Hispanic/Latino origin, percent, 2000 46.7%

and there should be an option of just plain no..
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I voted no because then we would have a state (edited)  it'd make California look like a gleaming jewel of intelligence....

Funny thing is, my last boss is Puerto Rican. You won't find a smarter, kinder, more decent man on the face of the planet. Go figure.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
here's a reminder for this and your other post on a previous thread :

Code of Conduct :

General Guidelines
1.) Posting derogatory comments of a racial, religious, or sexual nature. This includes your username, signature line, and title. Site Staff and Moderators reserve the right to edit these items and to remove your ability to modify them in the future.

You know I should'nt explain this because you are too ignorant and probably to dumb to understand the true history of our nation.

This country is made of immigrants who came to this country speaking a different language. heck I bet unless your an americanI Indian your people came on a boat too. They probably had to learn the language and customs as well , but never forgetting their own.

maybe you should go to DC or check your history books and you'll find that tens of thousands of americans of hispanic decent have paid the ultimate price so a no time on this board , troll breathing ignorant racist like you can spout your bullshit.

Oh yeah and by the way , since you are an ignorant jack-ass newbee you may want to know that the people who OWN AND STARTED THIS WONDERFUL BOARD ARE CUBAN !!

I am not a racist. Give me any post that I have posted that hints at racism. I have never tried to belittle the contribution that the hispanic people have given to our nation.  In the other thread i did spew some very sarcastic comments about race. If the people that started this board are cuban, great for them. It shows that they can overcome adversity and would like to join our nation and our culture. My opposition to Puerto Rican statehood has nothing to do with race, but everything to do with culture and the degredation of the culture of our nation.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Increase the empire...

It doesnt bug you that if we added Canada the democrats would win every election.

I don't know that, do you?
IIRC Gun Registration isn't exactly going smoothly.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
yes i am a blatant racist who hates all people who dont speak english. Its not the fact that our nation was founded as an english speaking nation and english is ingrained in our culture. Its not the fact that i dont think America should become like Canada where the bilingualism is one of the great divides in thier country. Its not the fact that a nation that doesnt share a language can hardly be united. Its the fact that i hate all Spanish speaking people. I wish that the entire south american continent would be wiped off the face of the planet.

Yes i did say that, but it was to show that how (edited) you are to call me racist. It is called SARCASM. Learn to recognize it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I voted no because then we would have a state (edited)  it'd make California look like a gleaming jewel of intelligence....

Funny thing is, my last boss is Puerto Rican. You won't find a smarter, kinder, more decent man on the face of the planet. Go figure.

You know, trite as it is to say, while you can make statistical predictions about racial or ethnic groups, you really can't make useful predictions about individuals based on race or ethnicity.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Yep you call it what you want I call it blatant racism . this board is not a place where you can vent your hatred on the world. Go somewhere else and do it.

By the way what makes you think the Avila's had to overcome adversity ?????

see you show your ignorance , you simply stereotype all of "US" into a neat little group.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:47:32 PM EDT
[#40]
It'll never happen: there's no more room our flag for another star.

Honestly, where would we put that thing?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:50:07 PM EDT
[#41]
coltM4
Since you want to educate me about the conduct code here you go

6.) Repeatedly attacking or insulting a person in an effort to elicit a negative response. You have a right to disagree, but please do so in a respectful manner.

You called me a "troll breathing ignorant racist" and an "ignorant jack-ass newbee" and i take offense to this. I am sorry we disagree on the issue of the language and culture of this nation. I am not a 'troll breathing ignorant racist' and I resent that comment. If you are going to disagree with me, do so in a respectful manner. My earlier post in the other thread may have been a bit overboard, but I assure you that it was meant to be sarcastic and I thought it was obvious. So I appologize for coming off as a bigot. Many people on this board have a problem with illegal immigration and the resistance for immigrants to learn English, but they are not called rascist.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Yep you call it what you want I call it blatant racism . this board is not a place where you can vent your hatred on the world. Go somewhere else and do it.

By the way what makes you think the Avila's had to overcome adversity ?????

see you show your ignorance , you simply stereotype all of "US" into a neat little group.

I did not vent hatred. I was showing how stupid it was to call what i said racist. I admit it wasnt in the best judgement. I made an educated guess about overcomming adversity, since most cubans came from cuba when castro came to power, thus overcoming the adversity of a brutal communist dictatorship.

Arent you stereotyping me into a ignorant racist.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, trite as it is to say, while you can make statistical predictions about racial or ethnic groups, you really can't make useful predictions about individuals based on race or ethnicity.

Very true.

Let me put it this way. I say Puerto Ricans are, for the most part, (edited)  for any number of reasons. My father's neighborhood (where I'm shacked up until I start my new job next week) is made up primarily of Puerto Ricans. The stupidity is amazing. They can't call the insurance company about the damage to their houses because they don't know what a claim is. Etc. It is absolutely pervasive .

Now, that said, you will never, EVER, find a group of people with bigger hearts; more eager to help and have fun, or to help you out of a jam, even when they barely know you. It's as if they make up in compassion and friendliness what they lack in brains.

Of course, there are always exceptions. My old boss, whome I love as a brother. A classmate of mine from NAPS and USNA, who is also like a brother, a test engineer at Northrop-Grumman, AND owner of his own entertainment business.

By the same token, the fellow Cubans in my father's neighborhood, while pretty damned smart, didn't (and continue not to) lift a finger to help him or anyone else but themselves.

I've always said that stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason....
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
coltM4
Since you want to educate me about the conduct code here you go

6.) Repeatedly attacking or insulting a person in an effort to elicit a negative response. You have a right to disagree, but please do so in a respectful manner.

You called me a "troll breathing ignorant racist" and an "ignorant jack-ass newbee" and i take offense to this. I am sorry we disagree on the issue of the language and culture of this nation. I am not a 'troll breathing ignorant racist' and I resent that comment. If you are going to disagree with me, do so in a respectful manner. My earlier post in the other thread may have been a bit overboard, but I assure you that it was meant to be sarcastic and I thought it was obvious. So I appologize for coming off as a bigot. Many people on this board have a problem with illegal immigration and the resistance for immigrants to learn English, but they are not called rascist.

I can' disagree with racist comments in a "respectful way". They are in themselves an insult. Keep in mind that not every hispanic is here illegally or whatever there are many like myself and the owner of this site who have served our country "THE U.S.A." all their lives and I still serve my city and community. however apology accepted . Nuff said.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#45]
thank you, for you acceptance of my earnest appology of how i came off. I have a great respect for all hispanics that served for I serve with some.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#46]
I voted no, but not for the reason of spanish culture or language. I just feel that with the war, terrorism, and all of the other issues America faces, we have enough on our plate right now.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:05:23 PM EDT
[#47]
As long as they send their women up here, they can have whatever they want!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#48]
I vote no. I spent alot of time (too much) in PR. It reminds me of Tijuana. There is some nice rain forest, but thats about it
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Poll coming

You must not know many....

ETA: Kubins kant reed!

+1  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#50]
in 20 years the spanish will be a majority in almost every southern state.   Better get used to it.

I voted to let em become a state.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top