Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The probelm with adding them as a state is that they'd likely vote Democrat.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
in 20 years the spanish will be a majority in almost every southern state.   Better get used to it.

I voted to let em become a state.

I dont want to get used to it, i dont want to be a defeatist.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Puerto Rico should be given Independence to form itself as a sovereign Nation.

As should all other US Possessions.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#4]
a solution in search of a problem.  cui bono
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I voted no, but not for the reason given.

I voted no because then we would have a state  (edited0it'd make California look like a gleaming jewel of intelligence....

Ouch! I don't know which reason I need to be offended by that statement.

That I'm a puertorrican (as well as all my family)

Or that you are not that far from the truth.

Funny thing is, my last boss is Puerto Rican. You won't find a smarter, kinder, more decent man on the face of the planet. Go figure.

You know, trite as it is to say, while you can make statistical predictions about racial or ethnic groups, you really can't make useful predictions about individuals based on race or ethnicity.

Very true.

Let me put it this way. I say Puerto Ricans are, for the most part, (edited) for any number of reasons. My father's neighborhood (where I'm shacked up until I start my new job next week) is made up primarily of Puerto Ricans. The stupidity is amazing. They can't call the insurance company about the damage to their houses because they don't know what a claim is. Etc. It is absolutely pervasive .

Now, that said, you will never, EVER, find a group of people with bigger hearts; more eager to help and have fun, or to help you out of a jam, even when they barely know you. It's as if they make up in compassion and friendliness what they lack in brains.

Of course, there are always exceptions. My old boss, whome I love as a brother. A classmate of mine from NAPS and USNA, who is also like a brother, a test engineer at Northrop-Grumman, AND owner of his own entertainment business.

By the same token, the fellow Cubans in my father's neighborhood, while pretty damned smart, didn't (and continue not to) lift a finger to help him or anyone else but themselves.

I've always said that stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason....

You'd know of many more exceptions to your rule if you had

a) ever been to the island itself

and

b) got in with the middle and upper classes (which make up the bulk of society)

Fact: most stupid Puerto Ricans go to NYC or Miami to mooch off relatives there.  Most smart ones get a college education either at UPR or any number of other colleges on the mainland and either return to the island to lucrative jobs in manufacturing, law, real estate, banking, IT, etc, etc, etc,. or stay here (they are US citizens by birth, BTW) and continue being productive members of society in much the same types of occupations.

A few even voluntarily go and serve, bleed, and die for the United States.

The reason you don't seem to see more smart Puerto Ricans is because they blend into society like all other productive members do.

Are you wondering how I know all of this?

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#6]
And in case anyone is wondering, no, I don't care one way or the other.

I am an American first, last, and always.  I was born an American, and I will die an American.  The fact that I was born and raised in PR is no more relevant than if I had been born and raised in Wyoming.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I say we get out completly and deny them everything they ask of us.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I think we should offer PR statehood when we offer it to Cuba...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:40:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:00:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm totally against it for one big reason.  I'd have to buy new flags with 51 stars. How in the heck could they make a field of 51 stars look even.

Frankly, I doubt it'd make too much difference except that FAL would get a resurgence and we'd have another terror group to watch out for.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:03:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm totally against it for one big reason.  I'd have to buy new flags with 51 stars. How in the heck could they make a field of 51 stars look even.

Do you realize how dumb this statement is when you think back about the fact that the nation began with 13 states?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:04:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Right now they pay no taxes and get alot of welfare.
I'm all for making them a state and all for making them pay like the rest of us do.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:06:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you realize how dumb this statement is when you think back about the fact that the nation began with 13 states?

HUMOR, I'm kidding...get it?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:56:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Zaphod et al: I hope you are "listening".

Message received and understood. Apologies offered and hopefully accepted.

Sorry to upset the applecart.

Zaphod out.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:01:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You'd know of many more exceptions to your rule if you had

a) ever been to the island itself

I have been.

and

b) got in with the middle and upper classes (which make up the bulk of society)

Now THAT may very well be true. Can't say I've done that.

A few even voluntarily go and serve, bleed, and die for the United States.

Indeed, and I love and honor them for it, without exception.

Are you wondering how I know all of this?

Maybe, but it seems that all this has caused some ruffled feathers, which I don't wish to re-ruffle.

Maybe in the next thread, I can tell you all about Cubans!

...and I know all about THAT from BEING ONE!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:30:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Zaphod, I've known many Cubans that emigrated to PR after Fidel fucked up such a lovely island and I grew up with their kids.  Some of them have even become my relatives.

No explanation needed here.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:32:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I voted yes, but I don't give a crap about cultural diversity.  They need to start paying taxes.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:47:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:54:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
A few years ago, PR was given the opportunity to vote on whether they wanted to be the 51st state.

They voted AGAINST it.  Their supposed reason?  They would rather get all the social benefits of being a US territory (welfare, social security, etc) and have no representation than pay no taxes at all.

In other words, they would rather be a leech than a productive member of the union.

For the most part, unfortunately, that is true. Both major political parties (the pro-statehood and the one favoring commonwealth status) are big-time democrat supporters.  For better or worse (I hate it) many people are dependent on welfare (yes, they are leeches). If the flow of welfare money were to stop or be reduced there would be havoc there.

Of course, there are a bunch of PRicans who study, work, etc (I am one of those).  Over the last 15-20 years large numbers of college educated professionals have migrated to the states, simply because there are better jobs here (I have been living in Iowa for the last 12, got my M.S in molecular biology, and now do computer programming).

But the fact is that too many people down there are artificially dependent on welfare, and that means democrats...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Hell, most of the folks in PR are receiving federal aid in one form or another anyway...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hello!  Ever hear of California?

+1
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:13:24 PM EDT
[#23]
No, we'd have more spanish-speaking folks than we have now.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I like Mexican girls.  The 'Rican chicks talk through their nose and that accent hurts my ears.  Same as Cuban chicks.  

Back on topic:  Make them a state and have them pay federal taxes.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah really there is no difference between Puerto rico as a territory or a state. All PR's have US citizenship, They use US money, US post office, US everything! IT is a state. Only difference is on paper.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top